IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did any of you compare your IS350 F Sport to the Q50s before buying

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 10:43 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Isn't the redesign 2014 also a 1st gen? With it's bugs and headaches also?

The Q50 is actually a rebadged G37 sedan. Motortrend compared the 2 cars and the Q50 had faster 0-60 and 1/4 times.

With that said, since Nissan / Infiniti vehicles cannot recirculate the cabin air w/o having the A/C on, I will stay away from it.
"In order to take a bite out of the BMW pie each automaker is taking a different approach and it shows when you drive their cars. Lexus has tuned up their IS 250 and IS 350 so that it might have a decent chance of earning some credibility with the boy-racer auto-media. At the same time the IS 250, and some IS 350s undercut the BMW by up to 20% when loaded with the same goodies. Infiniti has gone off the high board into the deep end in terms of transforming the old G35/G37 in to a new car that has very little to do with the older generations of its compact sports sedan. And it is not really fair to use compact anymore, who are we fooling? The new Infiniti Q50 (and Q60 sedan) models are so packed with whiz-bang modern gadgets that they don’t seem much like driver’s cars anymore. Cadillac isn’t playing any games at all. Rather, it is simply going to try to be better at BMW in every segment of this class, from top to bottom" - See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1083/back-....qJEhxcG5.dpuf
Old 09-24-13, 11:17 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still not fooling me. It's a rebadge G37 sedan. Just like the Q60 is a rebadge G37 Coupe.
Old 09-25-13, 06:17 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Clearly you're here to troll then. A lot of people troll on the 3IS forum -- several pose as 2IS owners. Only posting negatives about a car they don't own. Then there's you post lies about the Q%) even in the face of evidence point out your statements as untruths.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response."

https://www.google.com/search?site=&...92.vwJxzYT9q_8
Old 09-25-13, 07:19 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about me? I haven't posted anything negative about this car except its lack of headroom.

Just curious in hearing non-professional opinions comparing this car and the Q50S.

Also for whatever it's worth, the G37 sedan is one of the highest rated vehicles on Consumer Reports right now, only behind the Tesla Model S. No idea whether the Q50 will maintain that level of quality (in their opinion) or not.

And yeah, all the electronics and gadgetry of the Q50 are scaring me away.

Also, totally random question, what kind of rear diff does this IS have? There's nothing mentioned about it on Lexus' site, so I can only assume it's open, which would be slightly disappointing.
Old 09-25-13, 07:27 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JGard18
Are you talking about me? I haven't posted anything negative about this car except its lack of headroom.

Just curious in hearing non-professional opinions comparing this car and the Q50S.

Also for whatever it's worth, the G37 sedan is one of the highest rated vehicles on Consumer Reports right now, only behind the Tesla Model S. No idea whether the Q50 will maintain that level of quality (in their opinion) or not.

And yeah, all the electronics and gadgetry of the Q50 are scaring me away.

Also, totally random question, what kind of rear diff does this IS have? There's nothing mentioned about it on Lexus' site, so I can only assume it's open, which would be slightly disappointing.
No not you. Did you read the posts? vbx posts inflammatory stuff about the G series and maintenance and then spreads the canard that the Q is simply a rebadged G even though I provided plenty of evidence that it's not.
Old 09-25-13, 09:15 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

OK, right on. Yeah, looked back and realized that's probably who you meant. My bad.
Old 09-25-13, 01:01 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Lol, first of all, the article u posted isn't credible. It referred to the Q60 as a sedan. There is no such thing. The q60 is a rebadged g37 coupe.

And I am in the market for a new car. The is350 fsport is one of the car I am looking at. I currently own a g35 coupe.
Old 09-25-13, 01:09 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you don't buy the Lexus and get a different brand instead.
Old 09-25-13, 02:08 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
I hope you don't buy the Lexus and get a different brand instead.
Looking to see what acura will bring for the 2015 redesign tl before I make my decision.
Old 09-25-13, 07:44 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Looking to see what acura will bring for the 2015 redesign tl before I make my decision.
I fell asleep 5 words in when you said Acura.... Zzzzzz...
Old 09-26-13, 05:13 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Acura was a nice brand back in the 90's.
Old 09-26-13, 09:20 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

The ATS can be ordered without sunroof, since it's a stand alone option or most GM cars. That may alleviate your headroom issues.

Also try out the Volvo s60. While external dimensions are similar, the interior packaging makes it roomier.

Honestly though, I would start looking at mid size cars for someone of your dimensions. The 2014 Buick Regal looks very promising.
Old 09-26-13, 09:32 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

I don't care for the Buick at all, and my upper limit on price is $50k. On top of that, RWD only, since I live in Texas now. Growing up in New England, you always wanted FWD or AWD, now that I don't have the burden of snow, I want proper RWD. I also prefer more performance oriented vehicles. I have started thinking I'd go check out an S60R, however, I don't like their dashboard layout at all and it's kind of a bummer that it's basically a FWD car (even though AWD is an option, the driveline is laid out as a FWD car)

And quite honestly, the car I really want is the Tesla Model S. Test drove it and it is amazing. Easily the best car I have ever driven in my life. Sadly the wife isn't keen on my spending $70-80k on a car

Last edited by JGard18; 09-26-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 09:58 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Chrysler 300 V8. Big car style for a big guy
Old 09-26-13, 11:51 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Considered it for about 1 minute. But I really don't like the exterior styling or the interior. My short list was a used ISF, Audi S4 (used to own a B5 S4), S5, TTS, TTRS, used S8, used RS4, my friends mint 2011 M3 coupe (alpine white, comp pkg), Golf R, or used Cayman S. Long list but the IS350 won out although the longer I wait for mine to be built, I still think about the M3 once in awhile.

Quick Reply: Did any of you compare your IS350 F Sport to the Q50s before buying