IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Help Needed w Dealing w Dealer re. Rear Bumper Applique!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 08:15 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Needed w Dealing w Dealer re. Rear Bumper Applique!

How should I handle this situation?

I DO NOT like the rear bumper applique AT ALL. I like the completely clean look, and plan to debadge as much as possible. I’d even remove the F Sport badging, if prong holes wouldn’t show.

Anyway, when shopping for cars, numerous dealers stated that could remove the rear bumper applique before delivery, but such that they said same was a port installed accessory, they said they couldn’t ask for it to not be installed in the first place (which I’m sort of not please with in and of itself).

Nevertheless, I placed a deposit for a vehicle at a dealer yesterday that I didn’t discuss the rear bumper applique with before.

Part of what I e-mailed the salesperson lasted night included:

“Please contact the port to request that they DO NOT install the rear bumper applique, if possible, as I do not want same installed (please do whatever you can, as this is very important to me).”

He wrote back this morning with this:

“This vehicle is leased, Lexus financial will not allow the dealer to remove any factory installed item. You can do it yourself after you took possession however be prepared to put them back before returning the lease, because they will charge penalty for missing equipment. I also don’t have the phone number the techs at port. The bumper applique is a factory installed. I will notify you as soon as the vehicle in our dealership.”

And I replied with this:

“The "Bumper Applique" is a "port installed accessory", as are the wheel locks and floor and cargo mats. If there's any research you can do on your end to see if you can please contact the port and make the request to not have it installed, I'd appreciate it! Otherwise, if the car is ultimately delivered with it, I would also appreciate it if you can please have your vehicle prep department remove it with the heat gun, etc., as same would be used to remove the rear badging.”

Please help with any guidance / advice / insight!

Thank you!

Last edited by dbs600; 09-23-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 08:27 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
How should I handle this situation?

I DO NOT like the rear bumper applique AT ALL. I like the completely clean look, and plan to debadge as much as possible. I’d even remove the F Sport badging, if prong holes wouldn’t show.

Anyway, when shopping for cars, numerous dealers stated that could remove the rear bumper applique before delivery, but such that they said same was a port installed accessory, they said they couldn’t ask for it to not be installed in the first place (which I’m sort of not please with in and of itself).

Nevertheless, I placed a deposit for a vehicle at a dealer yesterday that I didn’t discuss the rear bumper applique with before.

Part of what I e-mailed the salesperson lasted night included:

“Please contact the port to request that they DO NOT install the rear bumper applique, if possible, as I do not want same installed (please do whatever you can, as this is very important to me).”

He wrote back this morning with this:

“This vehicle is leased, Lexus financial will not allow the dealer to remove any factory installed item. You can do it yourself after you took possession however be prepared to put them back before returning the lease, because they will charge penalty for missing equipment. I also don’t have the phone number the techs at port. The bumper applique is a factory installed. I will notify you as soon as the vehicle in our dealership.”

And I replied with this:

“The "Bumper Applique" is a "port installed accessory", as are the wheel locks and floor and cargo mats. If there's any research you can do on your end to see if you can please contact the port and make the request to not have it installed, I'd appreciate it! Otherwise, if the car is ultimately delivered with it, I would also appreciate it if you can please have your vehicle prep department remove it with the heat gun, etc., as same would be used to remove the rear badging.”

Please help!

Thank you!
IMHO you are making it a bigger deal than it has to be. Just let them do their thing, have them remove the PRICE of the applique from the invoice (the only issue TO fight) and then remove it in your nice garage. It takes a blow dryer on a medium setting for 60-90 seconds and then it peels off easily with no residue. I took all of the appliques off this way. 5 in total.

I'm a fan of picking your battles and this isn't one of them. =/

good luck =)
Old 09-23-13, 11:12 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your prompt reply, Richie!

As an update, I pushed harder with corporate, they researched the matter and got back to me stating they've informed the port to not install the rear bumper applique!

Now I'm a happy camper!

Where are the other appliques? Do the other four come standard? If so, they're clear, right? I just didn't like the one on the trunk that has "Lexus" written on it; Tacky!
Old 09-23-13, 12:02 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As an update, I pushed harder with corporate, they researched the matter and got back to me stating they've informed the port to not install the rear bumper applique!

Now I'm a happy camper!

Where are the other appliques? Do the other four come standard? If so, they're clear, right? I just didn't like the one on the trunk that has "Lexus" written on it; Tacky!
HAHA...yea i wasn't a big fan of the branding either. The other ones are on the rear quarters. Right where the rear of the rear doors meet the fenders. So one on the door and one right where the fender starts on each side. Hopefully your port follows through, nice job sir.

I wouldve been ok with the appliques(not the rear bumper one) if i had a darker color IS. These things trap dirt on the edges and just looked SOOO dirty on the Ultrawhite. Probably the easiest removal on the whole car.
Old 09-23-13, 02:17 PM
mowerman
Rookie

Remove or don't have it installed at all if you can help it.
I picked up my car from the showroom and it had air bubbles in it and was noted at delivery. Sales rep said it will go away in a couple of days similar to window tint. well it didn't, so off to dealer to get it replaced. guess what...they didn't stock the part, so wasted trip, part came in a week later and dropped off for service, wife picked up car and didn't look at it, same problem, even more air bubbles and looks like the guy applied it in a sand storm.
so reschedule for third applique to be installed, this time I went to pick it up when done, same thing more air bubble, SA said it would go away in a few days. I reluctantly took the car. so here we are now... I called dealer and said I want it removed and not reinstalled, they said that they don't install it, the window tint company does. so, he says if I want it off I have to pay, if I reinstall a new one its warranty. total BS, so im going to bring car in for the 4th one to be installed,. ill get a heat gun I guess and remove it myself instead of bringing it in for number 4.

I didn't want it from day one but they told me same thing. "it was installed in Japan"
Old 09-23-13, 03:34 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mowerman
Remove or don't have it installed at all if you can help it.
I picked up my car from the showroom and it had air bubbles in it and was noted at delivery. Sales rep said it will go away in a couple of days similar to window tint. well it didn't, so off to dealer to get it replaced. guess what...they didn't stock the part, so wasted trip, part came in a week later and dropped off for service, wife picked up car and didn't look at it, same problem, even more air bubbles and looks like the guy applied it in a sand storm.
so reschedule for third applique to be installed, this time I went to pick it up when done, same thing more air bubble, SA said it would go away in a few days. I reluctantly took the car. so here we are now... I called dealer and said I want it removed and not reinstalled, they said that they don't install it, the window tint company does. so, he says if I want it off I have to pay, if I reinstall a new one its warranty. total BS, so im going to bring car in for the 4th one to be installed,. ill get a heat gun I guess and remove it myself instead of bringing it in for number 4.

I didn't want it from day one but they told me same thing. "it was installed in Japan"
WHAT!? THAT'S INSANE! Hope I don't experience same.

Contact customer support. If you get a so-so rep, don't settle and tell them you'll call back. Continue to call back until you get a bubbly, happy to help rep. Explain the ENTIRE situation and ask them to RESEARCH what can be done. Need be, have them contact dealer, set up a loaner for you, and allow you to drop off the car and have the item removed free of charge. Such an ugly, stupid thing to not be 'dealer' installed, but 'port' installed. And no, it's not 'factory' installed, no matter what the dealer states.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by dbs600; 09-23-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 06:55 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Now I'm a happy camper!

What you going to do about the "Lexus" written on the analog clock on your dashboard?
Old 09-23-13, 08:08 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
What you going to do about the "Lexus" written on the analog clock on your dashboard?
Interior of the car is usually okay, but sort of also dislike the plethora of badging below the CD changer; Dolby Digital this, satellite radio that, egh!
Old 09-23-13, 08:41 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear bumper thing is not on every car. My car didnt come with one from the factory.
Old 09-23-13, 09:36 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by John510
The rear bumper thing is not on every car. My car didnt come with one from the factory.
Right; it's a port installed accessory... Should be a dealer installed accessory!
Old 09-23-13, 10:39 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Reading through all this, it seems ridiculous a dealer won't go out of their way to help out a customer spending $40 on a new car. I've always had such requests handled promptly from my dealers. It's a freakin sticker, they should be able to handle it.
Old 09-24-13, 11:23 AM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between a port installed accessory and dealer installed accessory besides the fact one gets installed here in the US and the other gets installed in Japan. Are they not both still installed by someone from Lexus?
Old 09-28-13, 08:20 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Reading through all this, it seems ridiculous a dealer won't go out of their way to help out a customer spending $40 on a new car. I've always had such requests handled promptly from my dealers. It's a freakin sticker, they should be able to handle it.
Definitely ridiculous! Was able to get corporate involved; sticker isn't going on the car in the first place now!

Originally Posted by John510
Pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between a port installed accessory and dealer installed accessory besides the fact one gets installed here in the US and the other gets installed in Japan. Are they not both still installed by someone from Lexus?
Port installed accessories are installed after cars are unloaded from shipping carrier and when being processed through the manufacturer’s distribution center before being trucked to the dealer.

Anyone know what other port installed accessories are available for the 2014 IS other than what's listed on the build your own website?

All I see on the website is:

Body side moldings
Rear bumper applique
Paint protection film
Cargo net
Carpet trunk mat
Glass breakage sensor
Remote engine starter
Wheel locks

Wondering if there's any other neat items, like maybe an OEM rear spoiler or some type of audio or nav upgrade!?

Asking here, as dealers are morons.