IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can CD's be stored to our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 05:21 PM
LSIII
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tone2002
I was surprised that the 3IS even had a cd player, but I don't use cds so I'm not sure if it has the capacity for six discs.

As someone said, time for everyone to move to the future of USB, Bluetooth, or Aux cords and let the cd players go.
Agreed, in a few years CD players will be gone. There are a few cars out now that have already ditched the CD player.
Old 09-24-13, 06:28 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhs82
Right. Single disc CD or DVD depending on which audio system you choose. Since the ability to stream by bluetooth came, CD chargers has faded away. And there is no hard drive you can access. You have to rip the CD to your computer and then transfer the files to a flash drive.
Originally Posted by aianir
For ripping CD's on a Windows computer, use a German program called "Exact Audio Copy" (the latest version is 1.0 Beta 3). Based on the level of your "audiophileness", rip to MP3 (less audiophile) or Wav/Uncompressed (more audiophile). A Wav file will use about 10 times the disk space (about 700 mb for a 74 minute recording) then the compressed and lossy mp3 format. But the Wav file contain the data exact as it was on the CD. The compression algorithms of the mp3 format are so good these days, that if you choose a high bitrate (320Kbps) you probably won't hear any difference between mp3 or wav.

BUT; and this is a big but: I don't know if the audio system will actually play Wav files. I suggest you rip the same record twice, once as wav and once as mp3. Try both. If it can't play Wav, use the mp3, if it can, listen to both and make a decision about the quality you want.
Thanks for this info, guys!

I went to the Exact Audio Copy site; great to see it's free!

Wonder if I can bypass my comp and rip directly to the flash drive...
Old 09-24-13, 11:05 PM
LeJehuty
Driver School Candidate

You'd still have to use a computer to rip the cd. But, within the settings of the program, you should be able to change the destination of where the audio file will be saved in. The original location would be your C;drive, just change that to your usb flash drive.
Old 09-25-13, 02:13 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Shure, you can rip directly to the USB flash drive, as LeJehuty described, but then you'd have no backup and have tp redo all work if something goes wrong with the flash drive. I keep everyting on my computer, or a backup external HDD.
Old 09-25-13, 07:07 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, Guys.

Another q: When the car reads the flash drive, does it recognize folder structure? I.e.: If you have a folder on the drive named after ablum "XYZ", does "XYZ" show up on the nav screen and then you drill down to each track from there? Or does it just group / lump all music together into one large list?

Sorry, but I'm new to this (never any walkman, iPod, music on computer, etc.)...
Old 09-25-13, 08:38 AM
RA040224
Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
Thanks, Guys.

Another q: When the car reads the flash drive, does it recognize folder structure? I.e.: If you have a folder on the drive named after ablum "XYZ", does "XYZ" show up on the nav screen and then you drill down to each track from there? Or does it just group / lump all music together into one large list?

Sorry, but I'm new to this (never any walkman, iPod, music on computer, etc.)...
Yes, it will show the folders so you can navigate. Also, if you go the MP3 way, you can tag the files with artist, music type etc and that info will be displayed as well. One annoyance though: The player will play the files in the order that they are read from the disk. No sorting is applied. If you rip directly to the usb, there won't be any problem as files are written in the order in which they are ripped. If you rip to the harddrive on your pc first and then copy, the file order might not be correct. If you find that the files are in the wrong order, you can use a tool such as DriveSort to order the files correctly.
Old 09-25-13, 08:42 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It reads folders to some extent. Don't remember how many steps of subfolders you can have, but at least three levels.
Old 09-25-13, 03:56 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aianir
Yes, it will show the folders so you can navigate. Also, if you go the MP3 way, you can tag the files with artist, music type etc and that info will be displayed as well. One annoyance though: The player will play the files in the order that they are read from the disk. No sorting is applied. If you rip directly to the usb, there won't be any problem as files are written in the order in which they are ripped. If you rip to the harddrive on your pc first and then copy, the file order might not be correct. If you find that the files are in the wrong order, you can use a tool such as DriveSort to order the files correctly.
Originally Posted by jhs82
It reads folders to some extent. Don't remember how many steps of subfolders you can have, but at least three levels.
COOL! Thanks a lot!
Old 09-25-13, 05:15 PM
alpine
Driver School Candidate

The IS300H I tried, a non-ML one, had a dvd plsyer, not a cd-only player. That's a UK spec car, may be different where you are.

Last edited by alpine; 09-25-13 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 08:46 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

I backed up my music collection from my BMW and I’m looking to perform all necessary conversions to organize same on a USB drive to have same in my Lexus.

Thus far I’ve used this great thread to convert BR5’s to WAV's:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279294

But I’d appreciate any help organizing / recognizing everything.

I have folders named “ipped1, ipped2, ipped3, etc.” with WAV's in each. The WAV's are named by track, but how do I automatically organize / recognize each folder by artist / album. When I roll over each WAV with the mouse, artist / album names are shown. (FYI, I have folders named from "ipped1" through "ipped110"; so 110 albums in total.)

Also, is there any way for our cars to recognize a folder structure on a USB drive that’s 3 levels deep, where the first level would be artist folders, the second level would be album folders, followed by the tracks...?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-13, 10:38 AM
sam82264
Driver School Candidate

Guys, why not just burn your mp3's to a DVD and play in the CD/DVD player? Works great and sound quality is at least as good as bluetooth streaming. You can just burn in data mode and a single layer DVD holds about 1200 songs in my case. Even brings in album or artist cover art on most songs.
Old 11-07-13, 11:30 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam82264
Guys, why not just burn your mp3's to a DVD and play in the CD/DVD player? Works great and sound quality is at least as good as bluetooth streaming. You can just burn in data mode and a single layer DVD holds about 1200 songs in my case. Even brings in album or artist cover art on most songs.
Thanks for the thought, but I don’t want to take up the single CD player and want to put everything on a USB drive, so it's easily modified, as if the car had an on board hard drive of its own (for $50k, crazy it doesn't). Otherwise, my computer (a laptop) doesn’t have an optical drive and I can’t remember the last time I burned a CD; also remember always having difficulty doing so; too many CD’s damaged and unusable. :|

I'm half way there; just have to figure out how to organize / recognize / arrange everything; there has to be a [free] program out there to do this...
Old 12-08-13, 09:37 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

USB Music Playback Help Needed! :|

Can't figure out how to play music from a USB flash drive!?

Has bothered me since I took delivery and any help would be appreciated!

When I plug in the flash drive and go to USB as a source, the system scrolls through each of the folders and files on the drive (Folder 1 - File 1, Folder 1 - File 2, Folder 1 - File 3… Folder 2, File 1… etc.). It takes a long time to get through everything and when done it says something to the effect of “No Music Files”. All I have on the drive are regular WMA files, which are a supported format according to the manual, and what’s strange is that when I click “Browse”, I see the correct folder and file names, but cannot play same.

I’ve used different flash drives, formatted each multiple times, organized folders differently, all to no avail.

I’m really impressed with the quality of the standard sound system, but can’t believe our cars don’t have an on-board hard drive for a music collection!?

FYI, I’m able to play music form the drive on two of my other vehicles without problem.

Thanks. :|
Attached Thumbnails Can CD's be stored to our cars?-photo_1.jpg   Can CD's be stored to our cars?-photo_2.jpg   Can CD's be stored to our cars?-photo_3.jpg