Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Who drives 3IS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 05:09 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
LOL! I think Glashub's post about Zombie cookie got everyone spooked!
" zombie cookie is an HTTP cookie that returns to life automatically after being deleted by the user. Zombie cookies are recreated using a technology called Quantcast, which creates flash cookies to trace users on the Internet. The flash cookies are then used to recreate browser cookies, becoming zombie cookies that never die."

http://www.techopedia.com/definition.../zombie-cookie

But a cookie is not a Trojan, a malware download, or any other type of file that can capture keystrokes, etc. Everybody cookies but it always a point of decency to let people delete them. Nobody will be able to access accounts from the generalized info given. I'd be more wary of using the same alias over and over.
Old 09-21-13, 05:12 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's impressive. I didn't make that kind of money until my 30s. What is that you do?

There is another thread about price.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...250-350-a.html

Also OTD price comparison isn't valid since tax rates vary.
I run my own graphic design business.
Old 09-21-13, 10:35 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

- Style (IS250 RWD / IS250 AWD / IS350 RWD / IS350(on order) 2014 IS 350 RWD
- Exterior & Interior Color Obsidian/ Rioja
- Packages you got (on order) NAV, ML, BSM, PCS, Rear Shade in case i forgot something every option that is available
- If you own F-Sport would you have added Luxury package for say $2k - $3k yes if i could have got all the additional options such as heated and cooled seats, memory package, rain sensing wipers act (the cost doesn't matter to me)
- Gender M
- Age 43
- Single or Married married
- Occupation Insurance agency owner
- Salary (Include your spouse if married) no salary, (i would really hate to be limited to a fixed income) commission only including new and residuals 200k+ (and growing)
- Home: Own or Rent Own
- City & State you live in Colorado Springs, colorado
- Previous Vehicle 2007 IS 350 RWD then sold for 2008 Corvette Z06, traded for 2012 Corvette Z06 now back to the IS
- Purchased or Leased Leased
- Reason you choose this Because in colorado i will likely have the only RWD IS 350 in the state, they aren't too popular here and the resale value will be terrible. leasing gives me the ability to unload the car easily when the 2016 MY IS comes out surely will offer the things i couldn't get the first year. also i may decide to get another corvette (used to avoid the depreciation hit) or perhaps an IS-f if offered. also i write the entire cost of the car off on my taxes.
- How long you intend to keep 36 months

I understand the OP question to want to know what kind of person buys an IS so ill share a little about me because i think it is relevant to the question. and i think it says a lot about the Lexus brand and the IS in my eyes at least.

I have had the pleasure of owning not 1 but 2 very fast and expensive cars. cars that many guys only dream of owning some day. Many of my friends have asked why did i sell the corvette to go to a Lexus.
well i guess you could say I'm different than most people. in particular different than most people on this site. When i was younger i remember buying cars because i wanted to impress people. Then i bought cars because they made me happy about the things i worked so hard for and really don't care what people think. when i bought the corvette it was because it made me feel great about where i came from and with no education. for a guy who never passed the 9th grade (never seen the inside of a high school until my kids went) got kicked out of the house at 17 with 500 bucks to my name I've certainly come a long way!

this will sound strange to a lot of you reading this but i loved my vette, it was totally a kick in the pants to drive, i could smoke anything that ever attempted to give me a run or a rev at a light. but i got tired of constantly being asked questions about the car. i feared to leave it parked out of sight for any length of time. worried it would be in an accident (it was a very rare corvette) got plenty of tickets (all of which i fought and got dropped) and i certainly cannot justify a $90,000 vehicle parked in the garage and not driven, that to me is a huge waste of money! also the design of my corvette was already 6 years old and feeling very out dated.

i sold my 2007 IS for the 2008 corvette and my Lexus sales guy really couldn't understand why. well the short answer is it is an amazing car! and who wouldn't want to own a car with 505 hp and goes 0-60 in 3.7 seconds like that?
but my interest in cars seems to be about 3 years and I had 2 nearly the same vettes for almost 4 years about 45,000 miles. They aren't very practical for daily driving duties especially when your commute is 3 miles over a 35 mph road. (a blast on the highway especially entrance and exit ramps!) i was even offered sex 2 different times while at stop lights (i declined of course)
so many people are now asking the opposite, "why would you give up a corvette to get a lexus" especially when i just bought a 2013 GS-350 F sport AWD for the wife and nearly the same interior and exterior (obsidian / cabernet)
the reason is i find that for me since i literally talk to people every day about dying, how to prepare their family financially for a major event like that it becomes apparent to me on a daily basis we all have a limited amount of time on this earth. I want to enjoy certain things while I still have the time to do so. I may not be really old yet but I know people a lot younger than me who passed away. I always wanted to learn to fly so I got my private pilots license about 5 months ago. I always wanted to own a corvette and a few other things not really worth mentioning. ( i am sure many more i have yet to discover) call it a bucket list if you like..

out of all the cars i have enjoyed I've always loved driving Lexus i enjoy the quiet smooth ride Lexus offers. the features and the overall value. i could easily afford anything under 100,000 so that leaves me many options. I've looked at many brands and tried to remain open to any regardless of manufacturer (though i wouldn't drive a ford if it was free or a dodge for that matter) but having looked at everything from acura to volvo i seem to always come back to the toyota/ Lexus for all the same reasons you guys have.

personally i think the cars that are lowered with the wheels stuffed up in the fenders looks totally teenage stupid! other than maybe a different type of wheel i like to keep mine stock. i like to keep the warranty and plan to trade it in as soon as the warranty is up or they need new tires. for me cars have become more about function and fun. i don't need to impress anyone.

i like to spend the rest of my money flying or riding dirtbikes in the mountains with my friends rather than modifying my car because i feel i get a good value for the dollars I spend as far as happiness and the quality of life i have created with that money.

modifying your car may make you happy and may make your friends think your cool. but it makes absolutely no financial sense to me to put money into something you'll never get a fraction of it back on into a depreciating asset.
I did put the TRD supercharger on my truck and plan to increase the boost a little, but I plan to keep it as its function serves me best to haul my new 2013 Yamaha wr450F and to get me where I need to go when it snows. but i did not install the supercharger decals, because nobody really needs to know.
but I do understand that if it makes you happy, to mod your car then do it! it just amazes me how obsessed people get about it.

Eventually we all grow up! I used to be just like that too, but then I realized nobody cares what my car looks like except me!
so please don't take any offense if I don't tell you how cool your car is if you put florescent yellow wheels on it or if you only get 6,000 miles out of a set of tires because the suspension looks broken and your camber is all jacked up to the point that your tires wear out. the upper and lower ball joints wear out prematurely, your tires rub and the fenders get jacked up! it sure seems a total waste of money to me to do that to your car just so everyone else thinks it's cool! strange how society is these days! the things people do to get noticed these days is unreal!
never seen any of these problems in the corvette forums, course you can't really lower a vette much more than they already are anyway.

anyway with that said i think the Lexus is a great car! just the way the way they come off the assembly line. it's fun to drive and offers a nice mix of features most cars in the same price point cant even come close to.

Last edited by Bass Mech; 09-21-13 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-21-13, 11:28 PM
John510
Lead Lap

- Style (IS250 RWD / IS250 AWD / IS350 RWD / IS350(on order) 2014 IS 250 RWD
- Exterior & Interior Color Nebula/ Rioja - Packages you got (on order) NAV, BSM,
- If you own F-Sport would you have added Luxury package for say $2k - $3k no
- Gender M -
Age 32
- Single or Married married
- Occupation Multiple business owner/entrepreneur
- Salary (Include your spouse if married) Edited out because some people think its "classless"
- Home: Own or Rent Own
- City & State you live in Bay Area CA,
- Previous Vehicle 2008 corvette, 2005 Mazda Tribute. Still own 68 camaro, 2007 Avalanche-
Purchased or Leased Leased for write off- Reason you choose this. Needed a tax write off and liked the way the car looked.
- How long you intend to keep 36 months[/QUOTE]

Last edited by John510; 09-22-13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 01:10 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i can't believe people are providing financial information.

classless.
Old 09-22-13, 01:37 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

- Style IS300h Executive (that trim is called "Luxury" in the US)
- Exterior & Interior Color Nebula grey mica / black
- Packages you got Everything except moonroof
- Gender Male
- Age 31
- Single or Married Have a girl, but not married
- Occupation Train traffic controller
- Salary More than enough to keep us going
- Home Rent
- City & State you live in Sweden
- Previous Vehicle 2005 Audi A4 2.0Tq Avant
- Purchased or Leased Purchased
- Reason you choose this I wanted a premium hybrid to replace the ageing Audi. Looked at the 2013 Audi A6 hybrid and 2011 GS450h, but liked the IS more.
- How long you intend to keep At least to the face lift.
Old 09-22-13, 05:46 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind when looking at salaries six figure salaries may seem to be a lot but it depends on where you live and the cost of living. Someone in NY could be pulling down 150K per year but a guy in Louisiana is only making 50K per year but they both can drive a Lexus.

In my case I was living in Washington DC about 7 years ago. Living in a 635 sqft condo which was 300K at the time. Decided I was tired of the traffic, winters and wanted to move some place else. Decided to move to Texas. Took a pay cut to move here but was able to afford a 3200 sqft home at a little bit less than half the price of my old condo.

Any way my point is don't get all worked up about the salary stuff. You can always leave that part blank if you like.
Old 09-22-13, 07:50 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
Keep in mind when looking at salaries six figure salaries may seem to be a lot but it depends on where you live and the cost of living. Someone in NY could be pulling down 150K per year but a guy in Louisiana is only making 50K per year but they both can drive a Lexus.

In my case I was living in Washington DC about 7 years ago. Living in a 635 sqft condo which was 300K at the time. Decided I was tired of the traffic, winters and wanted to move some place else. Decided to move to Texas. Took a pay cut to move here but was able to afford a 3200 sqft home at a little bit less than half the price of my old condo.

Any way my point is don't get all worked up about the salary stuff. You can always leave that part blank if you like.
That is definitely true.

While I'm sure there are buyers who can barely afford the IS, so far from what I've seen here on this thread it looks like these IS owners are probably not what Lexus would have thought to be entry level luxury car buyers.

Also another thing, if you want to make $200k+ owning your own business wouldn't hurt! .... I need to own my own business but what!?
Old 09-22-13, 08:00 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

That is definitely true.

While I'm sure there are buyers who can barely afford the IS, so far from what I've seen here on this thread it looks like these IS owners are probably not what Lexus would have thought to be entry level luxury car buyers.

Also another thing, if you want to make $200k+ owning your own business wouldn't hurt! .... I need to own my own business but what!?
The old saying goes you are never going to get rich by working for someone else. Some like to work for themselves while others are happy to work for someone.
Old 09-22-13, 08:24 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

That is definitely true.

believe me insurance was the LAST thing on earth I thought I would be doing! in a way it sort of found me.. now that i am into it, i realize how much i enjoy it. you get to help people with their retirement, help them protect what they value most, their cars, their income and other assets. give them good advice when something bad happens.
once i got a call in the middle of the night on new years eve. a client who went on vacation to england to visit her mom got a call from the neighbor that her water pipes froze and there was water in the basement.
I called one of my disaster restoration companies and we headed over. i was there till 4:00 am helping to clean up. pumping water out of the basement, getting the de-humidifiers going. she kept calling me, couldn't sleep. i put her mind at ease, told her we had everything under control and everything would be exactly how it was by the time she got back. told her to enjoy her vacation with her mom and put the whole mess out of her mind.
within a week everything was exactly as i said and when she got home she would have never known anything was wrong.
even though i don't get paid to do stuff like that, it is a very rewarding feeling knowing you can do something for someone just because it needs to be done and people really look up to you and appreciate what you did even though they know you didn't have to.

but I think more to your thinking, if you have interest send me a PM with your number, i can tell you how to get started and it will change your life a LOT! but make no mistake this aint easy! you may not be the right personality type to be a success in insurance. lots of people fail, in fact about 93% on average don't make it.
I've done a lot of things in my life but none gave me the ability to make money while i sleep, give me the freedom to take a vacation whenever i want and i have nobody to report to. i also have an income that has no limits. the more i want to work the more i can make.
I've been in this 10 years now. i learned a long time ago that if i write 60 policies each month. my income grows by about 200 per month. in a year you've added 24,000 additional income to what you made previously. on the high end, I could land a big annuity sale and make as much as 60-70k in commission off just that 1 sale! if that doesn't light your fire I don't know what else could.

10 years ago i was a software tester for world com. i was making about 55k a year. i thought that was pretty good money. but 1 day bernie ebbers told some lies, and ran the company into the ground. and unfortunately i got laid off.
i decided after about a year of unemployment i needed to take control of my future and never ever let someone else dictate what i am worth by an hourly or salaried position. never again will someone else decide if i have a job to go to or not each day!

I now have an attitude that says "if it is to be, it's up to me!" and the fact is if I need a little more money or want to make a higher income I know exactly what i need to do to achieve that goal and I know how long it's going to take me to get there!
The best part about being self employed is, i had a meeting the other day with me, myself, and I which is the entire cast of the board of directors in my corporation. We all decided unanimously that i should get a pay raise! and since i write my own paycheck that was pretty easy to get the HR department to make that happen.
Now if we could just find a way to stop voting terrorists into office at the White house maybe we could do something about the taxes I have to pay?

anyway, to anyone who wants to better themselves or increase their income ask yourself which you would rather be? the employee? or the employer?
I used to be an employee, and now I employ others. my employees make it possible for me to leave any time I want. take a trip to anyplace I like, whenever I want even at the drop of a hat!
I ask NO ONE for permission, and I simply grab my coat and walk out knowing my paycheck will still be there whether I am in the office or not for days, weeks or months if I so choose...
Old 09-22-13, 08:30 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

That is definitely true.

I feel like I can barely afford Lexus if that helps
Old 09-22-13, 08:35 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dark9t316
I feel like I can barely afford Lexus if that helps
After looking at some income #s of these owners I feel the same!
Old 09-22-13, 08:51 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

After looking at some income #s of these owners I feel the same!
you didn't post any of your stats, since you started this thread, how about you share some of your info?

and to your comment, if you feel that your not really able to afford a car like a Lexus it is quite possible you shouldn't have. thats how people get in trouble with credit cards!
i remember my first Lexus, at that time i had a car payment of 470 a month for my Acura which i thought was a lot!
it took me 2 days of contemplating if i should or i shouldn't buy the Lexus. the reality of it was even with The Lexus payment of i think nearly 700 a month at the time (about 2x my previous payment) i would still have about 1500 a month left over after all my bills are paid to make the payment. I just had a hard time getting to the point mentally that it was ok to spend that much for a car!
but now that I've paid nearly $1000.00 per month for a car payment, 700 seems a piece of cake!

just make sure you don't put all your spare cash into a car payment. make sure you have plenty left over. in fact i would say a good rule of thumb is if you can't make 2x the car payment in any given month you really shouldn't buy! but i know very few people will take that advice..
the problem is if your working for someone, and they decide to pull the plug on you, basically your up ***** creek without a paddle. and your credit rating soon goes down the toilet. and this will be your last new car for a while.
Old 09-22-13, 09:22 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2014IS350
you didn't post any of your stats, since you started this thread, how about you share some of your info?

and to your comment, if you feel that your not really able to afford a car like a Lexus it is quite possible you shouldn't have. thats how people get in trouble with credit cards!
i remember my first Lexus, at that time i had a car payment of 470 a month for my Acura which i thought was a lot!
it took me 2 days of contemplating if i should or i shouldn't buy the Lexus. the reality of it was even with The Lexus payment of i think nearly 700 a month at the time (about 2x my previous payment) i would still have about 1500 a month left over after all my bills are paid to make the payment. I just had a hard time getting to the point mentally that it was ok to spend that much for a car!
but now that I've paid nearly $1000.00 per month for a car payment, 700 seems a piece of cake!

just make sure you don't put all your spare cash into a car payment. make sure you have plenty left over. in fact i would say a good rule of thumb is if you can't make 2x the car payment in any given month you really shouldn't buy! but i know very few people will take that advice..
the problem is if your working for someone, and they decide to pull the plug on you, basically your up ***** creek without a paddle. and your credit rating soon goes down the toilet. and this will be your last new car for a while.
I tried to PM you but it looks like you may have blocked that. Send me a PM with your email and I can send you some questions I have.

I didn't provide my info because I do not own IS yet but I can provide which one I would own if I purchased.

- Style: IS350 RWD w/ extra rims for snow tires (I probably should get AWD since I live in MN. Winters can get really harsh but it seems Lexus is favoring the RWD.)
- Exterior & Interior Color: Obsidian / Rioja Red
- Packages: F-Sport , Nav, ML, VGRS, BSM, PCS
- If you own F-Sport would you have added Luxury package for say $2k - $3k: Yes. I keep my cars for long time so I would want the creature comforts as long as it's reasonably priced.
- Single or Married: Married with two children
- Salary: $151k - $200k
- Home: Own
- City & State: Twin Cities, Minnesota
- Previous Vehicle: 2002 Acura TL-S purchased in 2001
- Purchase or Leased: Purchase
- Reason you choose this: Love the interior of the car and should be very dependable for long time.
- How long you intend to keep: 8+ years and give to my kid

Last edited by SonyHome; 09-22-13 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 09:29 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to PM you but it looks like you may have blocked that. Send me a PM with your email and I can send you some questions I have.

I didn't provide my info because I do not own IS yet but I can provide which one I would own if I purchased.

- Style: IS350 RWD w/ extra rims for snow tires (I probably should get AWD since I live in MN. Winters can get really harsh but it seems Lexus is favoring the RWD.)
- Exterior & Interior Color: Obsidian / Roija Red
- Packages: F-Sport , Nav, ML, VGRS, BSM, PCS
- If you own F-Sport would you have added Luxury package for say $2k - $3k: Yes. I keep my cars for long time so I would want the creature comforts as long as it's reasonably priced.
- Single or Married: Married with two children
- Salary: $151k - $200k
- Home: Own
- City & State: Twin Cities, Minnesota
- Previous Vehicle: 2002 Acura TL-S purchased in 2001
- Purchase or Leased: Purchase
- Reason you choose this: Love the interior of the car and should be very dependable for long time.
- How long you intend to keep: 8+ years and give to my kid
pm sent, i think i fixed my pm's not going through

Quick Reply: Who drives 3IS?