IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Leather vs. NuLuxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 07:06 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't owned my car long enough to speak from experience on sweating, but the NuLuxe is perforated. That should allow it to breathe. Unfortunately, F-sport cars don't get cooled seats but I would think that NuLuxe with generous perforation would breathe better than unperforated leather.

As for any other metric, I think I'm really happy with NuLuxe. It's so much more forgiving and it feels really great on your skin. It will feel much better than neglected leather, that's for sure and when you sell the car, it will look great.

I'm not sure why we expect dead animal skins to hold up well in that kind of environment?
Old 09-17-13, 08:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Toyota with the SofTex interior, which I believe is very similar (or may even be identical to) NuLuxe. Quite honestly, after a month and a half, I absolutely love this stuff and prefer it to leather. It looks, smells and feels 95% like leather but doesn't wear, stain or dimple.

The only downside has been accepting the idea that "this car doesn't have leather."
Old 09-17-13, 08:50 PM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Thanks.

Negatives are that it's a synthetic material that doesn't 'breathe' as well as natural leather, such that in heat it may cause you to sweat more than leather, but if what you state is the case, they've probably created a superior material by now. Otherwise, 28.7 MPG in a 350!? Wow.
I don't care about sweating, because the AC is always on.

And yes, 28.8 on my last sunday road trip, AC on the entire way, 1 passenger and semi loaded trunk

Hoping for 29+ when winter comes without AC.
Old 09-17-13, 09:39 PM
LexFather

I'm a leather fanboy and stunned at how good the Nu-Luxe is in the F-sport
Old 09-17-13, 10:51 PM
Fringe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hades281
I haven't owned my car long enough to speak from experience on sweating, but the NuLuxe is perforated. That should allow it to breathe. Unfortunately, F-sport cars don't get cooled seats but I would think that NuLuxe with generous perforation would breathe better than unperforated leather.

As for any other metric, I think I'm really happy with NuLuxe. It's so much more forgiving and it feels really great on your skin. It will feel much better than neglected leather, that's for sure and when you sell the car, it will look great.

I'm not sure why we expect dead animal skins to hold up well in that kind of environment?
It's great that it's done so well it fools most people into thinking it's actually leather.

Fooled me for a moment.
Attached Thumbnails Leather vs. NuLuxe-1234797_10201222670182404_222636392_n.jpg  
Old 09-18-13, 04:28 AM
JL25
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fringe
It's great that it's done so well it fools most people into thinking it's actually leather.

Fooled me for a moment.
My co-workers thought it was leather too, until I told them it wasn't. They were surprised it wasn't.
Old 09-18-13, 07:01 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure people who really love leather would be fooled. To give you perspective -- when I was a kid I oiled my baseball gloves every night and bound them into shape. That's how early and often I would touch and smell leather. The NuLuxe is great. I have it and I like it but I was never fooled into thinking it was leather. I will say that a rather hot chick kept going on and on abut how sexy the red leather interior is.
Old 09-18-13, 07:23 AM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know how to clean/care for nuluxe?

I know with leather, you use leather cleaner and leather conditioner.
Old 09-30-13, 06:37 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

What is everyone cleaning their nuluxe with? I was going to pick up some Pinnacle Vinyl & Rubber Protectant. It seemed like it would work double duty on the leather steering wheel and nuluxe seats.
Old 09-30-13, 06:39 PM
enoren
Pole Position

I only use leather conditioning products on the steering wheel, shifter, and leather accents on the dash and doors. For the seats, I use a microfiber cloth with warm water.
Old 09-30-13, 06:53 PM
John510
Lead Lap

I use simple green diluted. That stuff cleans everything
Old 09-30-13, 06:53 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fringe

Fooled me for a moment.
That may be due to "by association". They probably associate Lexus with high quality and luxury so they assume the best. I didn't look that close but I'm not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between leather and nuluxe. What are the clues that it would be nuluxe or not leather and what is the reason why Lexus didn't use leather?
Old 09-30-13, 07:31 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SonyHome
What are the clues that it would be nuluxe or not leather and what is the reason why Lexus didn't use leather?
I don't know, nuluxe feels more like plastic to me.

Why Lexus didn't use leather on the F-sport? To keep prices low.
Old 09-30-13, 07:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

p.s. ES350 gets vented nuluxe as part of 2014 MY update, so probably coming next year for IS as well.
Old 09-30-13, 08:02 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

I sell cars for a living.....my circle of friends are all in the industry as well......NONE of them have a single clue it's not leather and I ain't saying They actually comment on how "cool" the red looks and how "comfortable" the seats are. I always had leather or escaine in every car but this stuff is awesome. For the record Toyotas Softex is a downgraded version or Nuluxe. Doesn't feel the same trust me I touched it many times

Quick Reply: Leather vs. NuLuxe