IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

NAV Screen Issue...Thinking I Got The Test Mule...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 01:24 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV Screen Issue...Thinking I Got The Test Mule...

Noticed this small smudge the other day on my Nav screen while driving. Didn't think much of it and just figured I'd get around to cleaning it on the weekend. Saw last night when I got home it looked bigger and more pronounced. I went out to clean it this morning with a lightly damp microfiber cloth and realized right away that whatever is happening, isn't on the surface. It seems to be possibly getting worse with heat or burn in of the screen? I've had the car not even two weeks and first it went in for the stitching coming out of the right side of the steering wheel, which they replaced for me and now this. Seems like luck isn't in my favor with this car...even though I really love it Sorry for the terrible picture...bad light and I couldn't get the flash right on the phone.
Attached Thumbnails NAV Screen Issue...Thinking I Got The Test Mule...-photo.jpg  
Old 09-14-13, 02:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Go back to dealer you bought it from I'm sure they can replace the screen under warranty, but pity thing is what else the technician might break or scratch along the process of removing the console.
Old 09-14-13, 05:28 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Ya that's what I'm terrified of. I called the dealer and they want to see it next week...I'm sure they'll take care of it. The screen isn't attached to the dash on top...but it is on the bottom. I can't imagine it's a easy job...but hopefully not too grueling.
Old 09-14-13, 05:53 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

I heard a lot of issues about this car that make me hesitate to buy it this November. Come on, Lexus. Don't make me go to BMW dealer for M4.
Old 09-14-13, 06:16 PM
enoren
Pole Position

damtachoa, don't panic. You're hearing about the issues because this is a Lexus IS forum. All of us having no trouble whatsoever don't have reasons to create new threads about how our cars are awesome and problem free. But rest assured, the significant majority are awesome and problem free!

I have not yet had a single problem with my 2014 IS. I've been reading the threads and every time I see something like this, I go out and check my car. So far, I haven't had any of the problems posted here. This car is phenomenal, and you should own one, too.
Old 09-14-13, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PJJames
Noticed this small smudge the other day on my Nav screen while driving. Didn't think much of it and just figured I'd get around to cleaning it on the weekend. Saw last night when I got home it looked bigger and more pronounced. I went out to clean it this morning with a lightly damp microfiber cloth and realized right away that whatever is happening, isn't on the surface. It seems to be possibly getting worse with heat or burn in of the screen? I've had the car not even two weeks and first it went in for the stitching coming out of the right side of the steering wheel, which they replaced for me and now this. Seems like luck isn't in my favor with this car...even though I really love it Sorry for the terrible picture...bad light and I couldn't get the flash right on the phone.
all i see is some kind of dinosaur, is that whats supposed to be there? :-)

Have no problems with them fixing it, cars are built to be fixed, they take them apart every day, for simplest things.
Old 09-14-13, 06:42 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

It is a really amazing car which you'll love. I think I just got a bad apple. Luckily Lexus' service is so good that they'll take care of any issue there is. I have had a ton of Lexus vehicles and this is by far the best one..
Old 09-14-13, 06:43 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Originally Posted by spwolf
all i see is some kind of dinosaur, is that whats supposed to be there? :-)

Have no problems with them fixing it, cars are built to be fixed, they take them apart every day, for simplest things.
Hahaha...the dinosaur is me!
Old 09-14-13, 06:54 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by damtachoa
I heard a lot of issues about this car that make me hesitate to buy it this November. Come on, Lexus. Don't make me go to BMW dealer for M4.
You must be joking right? Buy BMW for less problems?
Old 09-14-13, 07:00 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Originally Posted by dojoman
You must be joking right? Buy BMW for less problems?
Ya the issues I'm having aren't with my water pump or "revolutionary" SMG transmission. It's mostly cosmetic...although it is annoying to drive with a large blob on the Nav screen...
Old 09-14-13, 07:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

OP, first year teething problems. I assure you, you don't have a mule or prototype, but this is why most who have the paitence to wait for a new model, do wait once the intial problems have been addressed hopefully by the next model year.
Old 09-18-13, 04:42 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Just an update for anyone interested. They're replacing the screen. They think it is an outside layer of the screen coming off due to reflection??? Reflection of what, I don't know...but definitely something to look out for on your cars as it's growing on mine and getting worse with heat it seems. Apparently, the reinstall of a new screen isn't too painful compared to the old cars they said. We'll see...
Old 09-18-13, 05:05 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you enter the address on the Nav Screen? Use the mouse or voice? Looks like a pain if you have to use the mouse.
Old 09-18-13, 05:34 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Either/or. The voice recognition on this model year is much better then my 2011 was...
Old 09-18-13, 06:31 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJJames
Either/or. The voice recognition on this model year is much better then my 2011 was...
I said "call johnny cell" 8 times before it dialed the wrong number

Quick Reply: NAV Screen Issue...Thinking I Got The Test Mule...