IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Problem with the new IS250

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 10:05 PM
Tlakidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the new IS250

Yep, already have an issuer with the IS250. After less then 500 miles I called and made an appointment for my 2014 IS 250. The issue is there is a whistleing issue on the drivers side. After working with the mechanic that was assigned the issue it turns out that the mirror creates a whistle sound in the drivers side when you get over 50MPH.

The concern is that I am not the only customer that has brought this concern to this Lexus dealer. According to the service manager they test drove other IS 250 on the lot and the other make the same noise. They are not sure if there is a fix or not. I am very concerned after purchasing a really nice car that the company is not going to stand behind the issue. I expect better from "the pursuit of perfection"

What would you do next? I have plans to meet with the GM on Tuesday.
Old 09-08-13, 11:16 PM
jdot85
Driver School Candidate

How loud is the whistling?? Do you only hear it when the driver side window is down? Does this problem only affect the 250's?
Old 09-09-13, 04:52 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I am not sure I would have ever caught such a noise. Maybe during a test drive? That may be the only time I would be in the car without the stereo on. Unless it is so loud you can't help but here it. Keep us posted on this one.
Old 09-09-13, 07:38 PM
Tlakidd
Driver School Candidate

Default How loud is it?

Originally Posted by jdot85
How loud is the whistling?? Do you only hear it when the driver side window is down? Does this problem only affect the 250's?

Once you get the car up to 50+ MPH is it near your left ear. When you roll the window down It is really bad. When going 60+ you can here it faintly on the passenger side and very easily on the drivers side even with the radio on low.
Old 09-09-13, 07:40 PM
Tlakidd
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 250 Problem

Originally Posted by moose66
Interesting. I am not sure I would have ever caught such a noise. Maybe during a test drive? That may be the only time I would be in the car without the stereo on. Unless it is so loud you can't help but here it. Keep us posted on this one.
I did not notice this while test driving but I also did have it up to speed or if I did I was probably busy talking and checking everything out. You would notice it for sure. There mechanic noticed immediately, kept thinking it was the window. Rolled doen the window and you could tell it was the mirror. Put two fingers on the base of the mirror and the noise goes away.

Last edited by Tlakidd; 09-09-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 10:55 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Turn up the stereo...
Old 09-11-13, 07:39 PM
Tlakidd
Driver School Candidate

Default Possible Solution

I took the car into the Lexus Dealer today and they taped off several areas of the mirror. They were able to determine that the invisashield they applied on the mirrors was causing the issue. Looking forward to picking it up and verifying that it is resolved. It does explain why we did not hear it on the test drives.

Update the resolution on Thursday.
Old 09-11-13, 07:43 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

can you post a picture how the stuff is installed? seems hard to believe really. but if it has merit perhaps we can avoid the problem if we have a baseline to start with.

i assume this invisishield is like clear bra?
Old 09-11-13, 11:46 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I totally dislike the new wing mirrors Lexus are using! They look tacky, if not downright cheap and now they also have problems!!!

Previous Lexus wing mirros:

]

The 2IS had classy big looking door mounted mirrors.

Unfortunately they got replaced with these tacky, cheap looking with cost cutting plastic enclosing wing mirrors.

I guess you can say the old ones looked nicer from the inside? Lol

Last edited by yowps3; 09-14-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 11:56 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You're saying the 2IS mirrors was not plastic?
I really don't see where the 3IS mirrors are cheap and tacky.
Old 09-12-13, 12:10 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I much rather have the 3IS mirrors than my 2008 dumbo ears, sans side blinker mirror.
Old 09-12-13, 12:42 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i love the quality of 3IS. not too sure how you gauged "quality"

within its class (C class, 3 series, Volvo S60, and Infiniti), i think 3IS is definite head shoulders above the 3, C and volvo. only the latest Q50 looks on par with the 3IS.

At least, that my 2 cents.
Old 09-12-13, 12:46 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I much rather have the 3IS mirrors than my 2008 dumbo ears, sans side blinker mirror.
+1. Hate the mirrors on my car.
Old 09-12-13, 04:22 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it was the plastic they put on the mirror. Would be surprised if Lexus did not catch this before releasing the car for full production. There will be things they will find since this is the first year for the new model.
Old 09-12-13, 04:55 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tlakidd
I took the car into the Lexus Dealer today and they taped off several areas of the mirror. They were able to determine that the invisashield they applied on the mirrors was causing the issue. Looking forward to picking it up and verifying that it is resolved. It does explain why we did not hear it on the test drives.

Update the resolution on Thursday.
So this really is not an issue with the car itself. It is an issue with the application of an aftermarket item. Thread title is sort of misleading. Just another thing for people to look out for. Hopefully you get it resolved. Thanks for the headsup.

Quick Reply: Problem with the new IS250