IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Every Vossen Owner's Nightmare.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 03:29 PM
LEXUS1904
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Every Vossen Owner's Nightmare.....

I was heart broken when I saw this, it feels like someone punching you in the stomach. Don't know how this happened everything seemed normal when i was on the HWY, noticed it was we i reached home. The rims were just a couple weeks old. Not even 1K miles on them yet. Do you guys think its repairable? i got a couple of quotes from wheel repair shops, they're asking for $200 per wheel for repairs. The guy told me that they'll have to heat up the surface of the rim with a torch in order to bend it back. He also said by torching it, it'll damage the paint and you'll have to get it repainted which'll cost even more $$. FML... it's either this route or pay $1200 for 2 more CV7's. Any suggestions? has anyone had they repaired like this? does anyone know if Vossen's warranty is voided for situations like this? thanks for the help in advance!

Front Passanger

Rear Passanger

Old 09-07-13, 03:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Sorry to see this.

With that scuff on your tire you definitely ran into something. Really don't know what happened to cause this? Run up on a curb?

Definitely repairable based on similar bends in older wheels of mine but would start out checking with Vossen.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-07-13 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-07-13, 04:11 PM
LEXUS1904
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Sorry to see this.

With that scuff on your tire you definitely ran into something. Really don't know what happened to cause this? Run up on a curb?

Definitely repairable based on similar bends in older wheels of mine but would start out checking with Vossen.
Yea thats wheat im thinking, but i didn't feel it it was weird. Do you know what the process of repairing something like this?
Old 09-07-13, 04:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its pretty neat how they fix wheels. That price sounds about right to fix it. I had a crack and slight bend in a wheel once and they fixed it for $150 at a local place. Looked pretty damn good afterwards took me a while to find the repair spot

Old 09-07-13, 05:32 PM
LEXUS1904
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
its pretty neat how they fix wheels. That price sounds about right to fix it. I had a crack and slight bend in a wheel once and they fixed it for $150 at a local place. Looked pretty damn good afterwards took me a while to find the repair spot

ACU-TRU® Bent Wheel Repair - YouTube
dont know if the shops down here in SO-CAL uses this machine, but will defiantly do my research before choosing a repair shop. anybody know a good place in SO-CAL san diego area that are legit?
Old 09-07-13, 06:55 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lifetime structural warranty
Old 09-07-13, 07:46 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I'd check with your auto insurance. Looks like new tires as well. Might be cheaper.
Old 09-07-13, 10:23 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
I'd check with your auto insurance. Looks like new tires as well. Might be cheaper.
being an insurance agent, DO NOT DO THIS! this will go under your collision deductible and will cause a rate increase.

heres a much better suggestion for the OP contact the city. its their responsibility to maintain the roads and potholes. in my state we have a pot hole hotline, I've had a couple wheels and tires replaced at the city's expense from pothole damage.
Old 09-07-13, 10:33 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean,as much as I love Vossens they're just expensive cast wheels. Maybe just call it a loss and have the 2 fixed and then sell the set and buy high quality wheels like HREs, iSS forged, CCW, etc.
It happened once so it can happen again unfortunately :/
Old 09-07-13, 11:22 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch those are some soft wheels if you didnt feel it happen. Ill scratch Vossen from my list of wheels to buy.
Old 09-07-13, 11:31 PM
LGSFS2012
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the right way to do this , replace the bent wheels with new wheels , and replace the tire. It might be a little bit more money but its better to know there new and not have to worry about if the shop fixes them right or if you have to repaint the whole set because the repair shop didn't fix them right.
Old 09-07-13, 11:32 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Sucks....just get it repaired by a shop that can re-straiten them out. It looks like you hit a big pothole, since your tires look damaged as well.

Don't blame Vossen My wife did the exact same thing to her Work Schert SC1s and new Hankook tires when she hit a pothole
Old 09-08-13, 06:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by msgs350
Sucks....just get it repaired by a shop that can re-straiten them out. It looks like you hit a big pothole, since your tires look damaged as well.

Don't blame Vossen My wife did the exact same thing to her Work Schert SC1s and new Hankook tires when she hit a pothole
Yeah it can happen to any wheel, sorry to see this happen. O.P you got PM.
Old 09-08-13, 12:48 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
Ouch those are some soft wheels if you didnt feel it happen. Ill scratch Vossen from my list of wheels to buy.
I wouldn't scratch Vossen off my list but I would scratch Multi piece rims off for daily driven vehicles. Roads are just too unpredictable. Does Vossen make single piece forged rims? Single piece forged rims are strong but can be more expensive. Someone mentioned Work Schwert SC1 wheels but those are also 2 piece cast so its no wonder the outer lip could/would bend. Although forgestar is pretty affordable i hear. With multi piece rims though you can often replace the outer or inner cast lip which is a much cheaper route than repairing a one piece (if it can be repaired in the first place) forged rim.

go one piece and good luck.
Old 09-08-13, 01:51 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2014IS350
being an insurance agent, DO NOT DO THIS! this will go under your collision deductible and will cause a rate increase.

heres a much better suggestion for the OP contact the city. its their responsibility to maintain the roads and potholes. in my state we have a pot hole hotline, I've had a couple wheels and tires replaced at the city's expense from pothole damage.
How can the city do anything when he doesn't even know how or where it happened? Some policies have a forgiveness built in and other insurance companies do not. I know State Farm looked for every reason to get more out of me during my tenure with them. But each insurance company has their own downfalls and strengths. Now if he can locate where this happened, then yes, I'd agree. Had that happen with me on a railroad crossing where the concrete was missing a chunk and tire a set of OEM 18" wheels and tires up at 30mph. But the difference was I could feel my teeth getting jarred out of my head when I hit, talk about something to get your attention. Sadly, some of these things you just can't see until you're on top of them.

Quick Reply: Every Vossen Owner's Nightmare.....