IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Road&Track: October 2013 - IS vs ATS vs 3 vs Q50 - WINNER?????

Old 09-09-13, 12:23 PM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonder why Nissan decided to just change everything to Q. Kind of stupid it that are all designated with a Q. Might as well just get rid of the letter and use numbers.
Old 09-09-13, 01:56 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I finally had enough seat time in the new F30 3-series, a loaner 328xi, to have a fully informed opinion here. I pretty much agree. It's still a great car that's fun and engaging to drive, but the classic BMW feel is AWOL. Brakes are a lot softer, handling isn't as good, and the electric steering just kills it. You can't even talk about this stuff on the BMW forum without getting flamed and being called jealous or a hater. The new car is definitely improved in some ways, but not in the driving pleasure department. I could still see myself going for a 328d M-Sport, but will most likely be holding onto my E93 335i.
Old 09-09-13, 05:52 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

At first glance, I thought that picture of the red q50 was a 3 series. The proportions are identical.

I'm surprised they liked the IS exterior the best. Other mags, journalists, commentators have commented on how ugly the IS is. They also ranked the q50 dead last in looks.
But in the end, it's just the opinion of 4 guys working for a magazine.

Last edited by pman6; 09-09-13 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-09-13, 06:07 PM
emad2007
Driver

LEXUS IS 1st

Old 09-09-13, 09:48 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Exterior Styling- 4.5" Glad to see they like the aggressiveness! I think it looks the best followed by the Infinity.
Old 09-09-13, 09:57 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
I'm surprised they liked the IS exterior the best. Other mags, journalists, commentators have commented on how ugly the IS is. They also ranked the q50 dead last in looks.
But in the end, it's just the opinion of 4 guys working for a magazine.
Car and Driver also ranked the IS's exterior styling highly:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-5
Old 09-10-13, 12:12 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Lexus hit a win with the new IS no question about that... Hopefully next year we see some comparos with the GS-F, Hyundai 5.0 Rspec, M5, and CTS... They seem to all fall in the same category as a sport sedan with heavy HP.. We shall see
Old 09-10-13, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Thread about Corolla with flaming title....5,000 posts
Thread with IS doing something amazing and continuing its dominance, 15 posts

lol
Old 09-10-13, 03:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I read the article last night and I think the Q50S would have done better without the new steer by wire feature. Congrats to the IS for yet another win proving it is a better car and more balanced BUT its so damn ugly . One of my associates came to me this morning with an add for the new 2014 IS and said " I know you are a Lexus guy but I know you are not going to tell me that you think the IS is good looking?" I laughed and said its the ugliest thing I have seen from Lexus in a while." They put a huge grille on their smallest car that has literally more than tripled in size from the last.

I love the fact that Lexus got he dynamics right BUT WHY DID THEY RUIN THE EXTERIOR ??

I know people think beauty is subjective but this new IS has been unanimously hailed as insanely ugly and by far the ugliest of the bunch. I love to drive but I want something I love to look at and that I am proud of. The IS doesn't do that for me .....yet. Hopefully it will grow on me more after I get one a s a loaner and I spend a few days with it.
Old 09-10-13, 03:53 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know people think beauty is subjective but this new IS has been unanimously hailed as insanely ugly and by far the ugliest of the bunch.
No it's polarizing, not unanimously hailed as ugly. Both R&T and C&D gave the IS the highest marks in exterior styling in their comparos, while MT called it hideous. If anything that means it's getting more praise than hate for its looks. I personally find it ugly in white but great looking in red.

Last edited by ydooby; 09-10-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 03:56 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Thread about Corolla with flaming title....5,000 posts
Thread with IS doing something amazing and continuing its dominance, 15 posts

lol
Actually the Corolla thread only got 70-something posts, and this thread only had 16 posts because it's a repost of the main thread in the 3IS forum.
Old 09-10-13, 04:00 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven the IS, the ATS, and the 3...

and despite being a long time follower of the Infiniti Q50, after I test drove the IS350 F-Sport a few months ago, I was a believer in the IS.

From all of the talk I hear about the Q50, it's clear that it's not all that it was cracked up to be and as a current Infiniti owner, I think I might have to make the switch when the time comes.

The Q50 is too focused on tech and luxury.

The ATS is too focused on luxury and handling.

The BMW is too focused on tech and power.

The IS is focused on everything.

Like I mentioned in my review. It's not the absolute best at any one thing but it does everything so damn good. The one thing I really noticed is how between the 4, the IS350 is the cheapest out of the bunch. So while some of you whine about lack of memory seats, cooled seats, or rain sensing wipers---just keep that in the back of your heads as well.

Last edited by SimTide985; 09-10-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 04:49 PM
pianospike
Rookie

I read the article last night and I think the Q50S would have done better without the new steer by wire feature. Congrats to the IS for yet another win proving it is a better car and more balanced BUT its so damn ugly . One of my associates came to me this morning with an add for the new 2014 IS and said " I know you are a Lexus guy but I know you are not going to tell me that you think the IS is good looking?" I laughed and said its the ugliest thing I have seen from Lexus in a while." They put a huge grille on their smallest car that has literally more than tripled in size from the last.

I love the fact that Lexus got he dynamics right BUT WHY DID THEY RUIN THE EXTERIOR ??

I know people think beauty is subjective but this new IS has been unanimously hailed as insanely ugly and by far the ugliest of the bunch. I love to drive but I want something I love to look at and that I am proud of. The IS doesn't do that for me .....yet. Hopefully it will grow on me more after I get one a s a loaner and I spend a few days with it.
You should really re-think your use of the word unanimous.
Old 09-10-13, 05:09 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pianospike
You should really re-think your use of the word unanimous.
And "literally." It's literally three times bigger?
Old 09-10-13, 05:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I know people think beauty is subjective but this new IS has been unanimously hailed as insanely ugly and by far the ugliest of the bunch.
what, lol :-)

In this threads, you have 2 out of 2 mags claiming it to be the best looking out of the bunch. What are you talking about "unanimously".

I think everything else looks boring after 3IS :-)

and I hope they go crazy with 4GS facelift too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road&Track: October 2013 - IS vs ATS vs 3 vs Q50 - WINNER?????