IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MotorTrend : Lexus IS Might Just Dethrone BMW 3 series

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 02:14 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
Having driven both the 3is and the 3 series bmw. As always the lexus has the comfort but man the bmw 3 series is a pretty mean machine.
I agree the 3 series, past and present, is a great car. My comments abour the IS having superior handling applies only to the current f30. If I am not mistaken, the 3is is the previous generation e90.

I found all BMW 3's, including the f30 beat the IS handily in a drag race,
Old 09-04-13, 02:18 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glennp2014
Heavily misinformed? LOL! On the contrary my friend I have driven this car as a rental plenty of time and trust me it's no where near the handling of the IS. Spirited driving this car is a bit of a roller and the shifting of the tranny is a bit ..... how shall I say it, delayed? Well you know what I mean and that ugly interior why can't american built cars have a decent interior. Interior has cheap written all over it, sorry but the ATS is not what they say it is. And besides it won LAST YEAR so I'm confident that the IS will hand the ATS it's b u t t.......
Have you driven both the 2.0T and the V6? Were they the RWD each time or did they give you a AWD?

I mentioned that it was killing the competition last year only because it was the ATS that dethroned the BMW 3 Series last year---you can't scoff that away no matter if your experience(s) with the car seemed to not meet expectations (but then again, there might be a reason why we're not having this conversation in a Cadillac forum)

By the way, there are plenty of good looking American built interiors, but if you go in with that kind of perception and mentality each time, you're always going to end up generalizing your complaints and pretending that they're all the same when they're absolutely not. It feels confirmation bias every time.
Old 09-04-13, 02:56 PM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Have you driven both the 2.0T and the V6? Were they the RWD each time or did they give you a AWD?

I mentioned that it was killing the competition last year only because it was the ATS that dethroned the BMW 3 Series last year---you can't scoff that away no matter if your experience(s) with the car seemed to not meet expectations (but then again, there might be a reason why we're not having this conversation in a Cadillac forum)

By the way, there are plenty of good looking American built interiors, but if you go in with that kind of perception and mentality each time, you're always going to end up generalizing your complaints and pretending that they're all the same when they're absolutely not. It feels confirmation bias every time.
Let's just put it this way, I like driving the SRX better than the ATS. The interior is way better and the drive is more enjoyable than the ATS. Plenty of good looking interiors in american cars? Give me an example. I'm not generalizing anything it's the plain truth. But I must admit the Buick Regal, LaCrosse and Enclave are all going in the right direction. Far from beating an M3 or the ATS in performance but its luxury features and interior is pretty good.
Old 09-04-13, 03:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Heavily misinformed? LOL! On the contrary my friend I have driven this car as a rental plenty of time and trust me it's no where near the handling of the IS. Spirited driving this car is a bit of a roller and the shifting of the tranny is a bit ..... how shall I say it, delayed? Well you know what I mean and that ugly interior why can't american built cars have a decent interior. Interior has cheap written all over it, sorry but the ATS is not what they say it is. And besides it won LAST YEAR so I'm confident that the IS will hand the ATS it's b u t t.......
I don't think your experience in a bare bones rental is really applicable. I have driven a well optioned ATS and its a very nice car, nice interior, great chassis and drive. Its a great car. All the auto journalists that have driven it agree..I have also driven an SRX and to say that its a better drive than an ATS is just absurd. That's like saying the RX drives better than the IS. Actually that comparison is very apt.

As for plenty of good looking interiors in American cars, I would classify the Caddy ATS, XTS, new CTS as having very nice interiors. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a *great* interior that is even better at higher trim levels. The new Lincoln MKZ has a nice interior. The new Chrysler 300 is nice.
Old 09-06-13, 01:25 AM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think your experience in a bare bones rental is really applicable. I have driven a well optioned ATS and its a very nice car, nice interior, great chassis and drive. Its a great car. All the auto journalists that have driven it agree..I have also driven an SRX and to say that its a better drive than an ATS is just absurd. That's like saying the RX drives better than the IS. Actually that comparison is very apt.

As for plenty of good looking interiors in American cars, I would classify the Caddy ATS, XTS, new CTS as having very nice interiors. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a *great* interior that is even better at higher trim levels. The new Lincoln MKZ has a nice interior. The new Chrysler 300 is nice.
Bare bones rental? LOL! Ok, and I guess you telling me that what I rented was also "APT". I know what I drove I'm not stupid I can tell the difference between bare bones and a loaded ATS. Let me ask you something if you are such and avid fan of this ATS or Cadi why don't you own one?

Read the new article that came out about a comparo between the ATS, BMW, Q50 and IS350. I guess the ATS fell short this time around in beating the BMW. But guess what, that is not the biggest surprise.....
Old 09-06-13, 03:56 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^^^ Realistically, the competition is very close to the IS, yet when we combine the unflappable Lexus reliability, which product do we end up buying?
Old 09-06-13, 10:02 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^^^ Realistically, the competition is very close to the IS, yet when we combine the unflappable Lexus reliability, which product do we end up buying?
Well said!
Old 09-06-13, 10:04 AM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nuff said!
Old 09-06-13, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bare bones rental? LOL! Ok, and I guess you telling me that what I rented was also "APT". I know what I drove I'm not stupid I can tell the difference between bare bones and a loaded ATS. Let me ask you something if you are such and avid fan of this ATS or Cadi why don't you own one?
Rental car companies don't purchase fully loaded vehicles...they purchase base model vehicles. The fact that you said the SRX handles better just shows you aren't objective. There is no way anybody objective can say a FWD layout SRX handles better than the RWD ATS. Thats just nonsense.

Had the CTS been out when I bought, I might have a Caddy. I liked the XTS but its too big for me, and the ATS is too small. Caddy has come a long way, interiors are very nice, styling is very nice, chassis and drive is very nice.

I am a car enthusiast and I don't buy into brand war BS. It doesn't hurt me as a Lexus owner to admit that a competitor makes a great product, or even a better product than something Lexus makes.
Old 09-06-13, 02:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Nice compliment there MT, but don't just say it "might"--go ahead and actually do the comparo now!
Old 09-06-13, 07:57 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Nice compliment there MT, but don't just say it "might"--go ahead and actually do the comparo now!
What he said.

Car and Driver, Road and Track have already given the IS the win. Would be nice to see MotorTrend's assessment.
Old 09-06-13, 10:58 PM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Rental car companies don't purchase fully loaded vehicles...they purchase base model vehicles.
WRONG!!!! Would you like to try for the bonus round?!

fact that you said the SRX handles better just shows you aren't objective.
WRONG!!!! Would like to use your shout out for help? One more strike and your out!
First of all you said that not me, I never said the the SRX handled better than the ATS. What I said is I like driving the SRX more than the ATS cus it's more luxurious and it's smoother. So stop putting words in my mouth.

Had the CTS been out when I bought, I might have a Caddy. I liked the XTS but its too big for me, and the ATS is too small. Caddy has come a long way, interiors are very nice, styling is very nice, chassis and drive is very nice.

I am a car enthusiast and I don't buy into brand war BS. It doesn't hurt me as a Lexus owner to admit that a competitor makes a great product, or even a better product than something Lexus makes.
Is that why you only have Lexus cars on your signature? Hmmmm... oh wait you have a Jeep so ok I believe you. I love MB's and Infiniti's that is why I was so upset with the Q50 the IS350 Sport blew the doors out of this car. When I test drove the IS I couldn't get the silly grin off my face. I tried to lease it but I couldn't justify paying that kind of money for an IS. So I decided to wait maybe 2 more years before getting it. I love to track my cars I look for certain qualities in handling without to much mods. When I do get my hands on one I will drive the living crap out of it. But something tells me this car will handle everything I throw at it and beg for more. With the ATS I can't see myself driving that thing more than a day on the track. Take it how you like it I for one will not waste my money on a Cadi. They may come out with a car in the future that would be a world beater then I'll reconsider until then ATS will never be in the same league as the the new IS now.
Old 09-07-13, 09:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm going to choose it ignore your childish rudeness and address you with respect.

WRONG!!!! Would you like to try for the bonus round?!
I guess you're renting cars from different places than me.

WRONG!!!! Would like to use your shout out for help? One more strike and your out!
First of all you said that not me, I never said the the SRX handled better than the ATS. What I said is I like driving the SRX more than the ATS cus it's more luxurious and it's smoother. So stop putting words in my mouth.
Well, of course the SRX is smoother and more luxurious than the ATS. The ES and RX are smoother and more luxurious than the IS too. Completely different vehicles.

Is that why you only have Lexus cars on your signature? Hmmmm... oh wait you have a Jeep so ok I believe you.
This is a Lexus forum, hence why my signature reads "Previous LEXUS vehicles". But yes, I am a Lexus enthusiast and like Lexus vehicles very much. Doesn't mean I think everybody else makes crap.

When I test drove the IS I couldn't get the silly grin off my face.
The IS is a great car...lots of other great cars out there though. I for one think the ATS is also a great car, and an incredible leap forward for Cadillac. Lots of auto journalists agree. An open mind is important.
Old 09-07-13, 10:11 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ATS and IS are leaders in this segment.

Drove the ATS V6 with magnetic ride control... Awesome car. I'd pick it over the 3 series all day long.

For me id pick the new IS over the ATS - but only by a slim margin (The 350 F-Sport w/ LFA gauges, AVS, and VGRS) . ATS is one hell of a car though
Old 09-07-13, 10:34 AM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to choose it ignore your childish rudeness and address you with respect.
Oh I'm sorry did you get offended specially when you were the one who tried so hard to prove me wrong.

I guess you're renting cars from different places than me.
You guess right....

Well, of course the SRX is smoother and more luxurious than the ATS. The ES and RX are smoother and more luxurious than the IS too. Completely different vehicles.
There maybe hope for you yet....

This is a Lexus forum, hence why my signature reads "Previous LEXUS vehicles". But yes, I am a Lexus enthusiast and like Lexus vehicles very much. Doesn't mean I think everybody else makes crap.
Is that why putting your Jeep on your signature a proper thing to do in the LEXUS forum? Don't answer I'm just pushing your buttons I don;t really care.

The IS is a great car...lots of other great cars out there though. I for one think the ATS is also a great car, and an incredible leap forward for Cadillac. Lots of auto journalists agree. An open mind is important.
Indeed!

Quick Reply: MotorTrend : Lexus IS Might Just Dethrone BMW 3 series