IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Look who's coming into port!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 12:03 AM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Look who's coming into port!

My dealership gave me a Vehicle Inquiry Report of my car which had the name of the Vessel on there, so of course I've been following it the whole way It's coming into Jacksonville right this moment.

Look who's coming into port!-ship-into-port.jpg

Last edited by iceman1117; 08-29-13 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-29-13, 03:23 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is really cool that you can track the ship into port. I will try to get the ship once mine is built and on the way as well.
Old 08-29-13, 04:20 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is amazing the different information available to buyers depending on your dealer. I have heard of some people not hearing anything until the car shows up at the dealership. I just received an email on Tuesday from my dealer telling me my order was approved, in the que, and I will get another update sometime in September. Approved? WTF! My down payment should have been all the approval needed. Not like I was trying to really build a car! Nothing flashy about a black car with a couple of packages.
Old 08-29-13, 04:45 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by moose66
It is amazing the different information available to buyers depending on your dealer. I have heard of some people not hearing anything until the car shows up at the dealership. I just received an email on Tuesday from my dealer telling me my order was approved, in the que, and I will get another update sometime in September. Approved? WTF! My down payment should have been all the approval needed. Not like I was trying to really build a car! Nothing flashy about a black car with a couple of packages.
Lexus is very poor on the communication end. They do not even inform their dealers well. My order was approved in May and I did not receive any further information until just last week stating a build in September and delivery in October and that was after hounding their Lexus Rep.
Old 08-29-13, 05:32 AM
LEX430SC
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! Let me know when you get it in. Im in Jacksonville.
Old 08-29-13, 07:37 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
Lexus is very poor on the communication end. They do not even inform their dealers well. My order was approved in May and I did not receive any further information until just last week stating a build in September and delivery in October and that was after hounding their Lexus Rep.
Wow! That is a long lead time. I ordered in the first week of this month and was told 60 to 90 days. Based on what I am reading here kabgolf1, it should be more like 90 to 120 days? That is a long time to wait for a car. I mean I know it is new and it takes a while to ramp up. I think those ordering on the front end of production may have had, or will have the longest wait. They should have the production lines wide open by now. Hopefully wait times come down a little.
Old 08-29-13, 08:50 AM
corsjr28
Driver School Candidate

Wow - I really hope mine does not take that long (just placed special order 2 weeks ago).

I haven't heard any of this 'approval' stuff before... should I be asking my dealer if my order was approved?
Old 08-29-13, 11:59 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corsjr28
Wow - I really hope mine does not take that long (just placed special order 2 weeks ago).

I haven't heard any of this 'approval' stuff before... should I be asking my dealer if my order was approved?
It is not an approval but rather an acceptance of your order into the Lexus System. My delay seems to be with the Dynamic Radar Cruise and rear sunshade. If I had not ordered those, there would be many available vehicles with all of the other options in my color combination that have already been produced.
Old 08-29-13, 12:18 PM
dk206
Driver School Candidate

Wow, congrats, hopefully my will show up soon!
Old 08-29-13, 01:10 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

It is not an approval but rather an acceptance of your order into the Lexus System. My delay seems to be with the Dynamic Radar Cruise and rear sunshade. If I had not ordered those, there would be many available vehicles with all of the other options in my color combination that have already been produced.
Maybe that rear sunshade is the common thread for those orders which are taking a little longer to make it across the pond. I too ordered the sunshade. Nothing else was special. At least in my opinion. Oh well, I'm patient. No choice! A few months wait is a few months of savings on insurance, taxes, gas, finance charges, etc.
Old 08-29-13, 05:02 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Reading around and seeing how some Lexus Dealerships pretty much keeps you in the dark till your car shows up shows an extreme lack of communication on their end. They should at least try and make the waiting period as easy as possible, besides, I think its more efficient on their part to just give out Vehicle Inquiry Reports when they become available. It'll prevent many customers from calling them every week asking for updates on their cars but that's just my 2 cents. If I were you guys I would push until they give you a V.I.R. it'll have ALL of the info on your car including VIN # and Vessel Name. Every dealership gets these I think even before the car is loaded onto the Vessel so they shouldn't give you any excuses once the Ship leaves port.

Not sure if most of you have read this article but I found in pretty cool on how they ship these cars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/15/au...anted=all&_r=0
Old 08-31-13, 07:37 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

iceman1117 . . . . . .It is now two days later, any word on your ride? Has it made it from the port to your driveway yet?
Old 08-31-13, 08:01 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Not yet, I did call my sales rep yesterday to make sure they don't wash the car when it gets there. I was expecting him to think I was crazy but instead he said he had requested the same thing when he got his 3IS lol. He said after the car reaches port it should take anywhere from 4-7 days. I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 09-01-13, 05:37 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iceman1117
Not yet, I did call my sales rep yesterday to make sure they don't wash the car when it gets there. I was expecting him to think I was crazy but instead he said he had requested the same thing when he got his 3IS lol. He said after the car reaches port it should take anywhere from 4-7 days. I'll keep you guys posted!
No wash? Ah, I think I have it. Stealerships use machines, not hand washing. You're eliminating those pesky, unsightly scratches left behind from the complimentary washes. Smart! And by the way, I asked my dealer for a V.I.R., got no response. Shocker!
Old 09-03-13, 07:21 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by moose66
Maybe that rear sunshade is the common thread for those orders which are taking a little longer to make it across the pond. I too ordered the sunshade. Nothing else was special. At least in my opinion. Oh well, I'm patient. No choice! A few months wait is a few months of savings on insurance, taxes, gas, finance charges, etc.
That may be the link. All I know is no order is that special in the overall scheme.

Quick Reply: Look who's coming into port!