SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Assuming you want a coupe...
Old 09-08-13, 04:32 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can see from my signature, I am a true car enthusiast. I need a smaller car to drive during the fall and winter. Since I really enjoyed my GS and LS F-Sport in its handling and performance, I decided to test drive a new generation. I had a Is350 convertible last year. I went to my local dealer and test drove a white IS F-sport. I loved the handling, the steering was precise and the speedometer a real novelty. The nav screen is too small and the magic touch mouse is inconvenient to handle. I was surprised over how cheap the plastic is and for a 50K sport sedan, leather nor ventilated seats were not offered for the F-Sport. The motor overall felt underpowered with 5.7sec 0-60.

I know it's heresy, but went and test drove the '14 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid, what a sweet ride and the handling and power surprised me. The interior is well designed and the seats are in leather and much more comfortable to sit in. The left foot well held my knee in a better position.

I am really torn, I guess I can get the Infiniti but will likely wait for either the IS-F or the GS-F.
Old 09-08-13, 06:17 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by dochusar
As you can see from my signature, I am a true car enthusiast. I need a smaller car to drive during the fall and winter. Since I really enjoyed my GS and LS F-Sport in its handling and performance, I decided to test drive a new generation. I had a Is350 convertible last year. I went to my local dealer and test drove a white IS F-sport. I loved the handling, the steering was precise and the speedometer a real novelty. The nav screen is too small and the magic touch mouse is inconvenient to handle. I was surprised over how cheap the plastic is and for a 50K sport sedan, leather nor ventilated seats were not offered for the F-Sport. The motor overall felt underpowered with 5.7sec 0-60.

I know it's heresy, but went and test drove the '14 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid, what a sweet ride and the handling and power surprised me. The interior is well designed and the seats are in leather and much more comfortable to sit in. The left foot well held my knee in a better position.

I am really torn, I guess I can get the Infiniti but will likely wait for either the IS-F or the GS-F.
Q50 is no small car, just saying.
Old 09-08-13, 08:08 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

You already have an LS for the pure luxury. The Q50 will be more of the same, being neither as luxurious while not really scratching your itch for a tossable fun car. I would go with the IS350 RWD F-Sport -- it's probably the best driver's car in this segment. Unless you want the ATS, I hear good things about its handling and driving appeal..
Old 09-09-13, 11:59 AM
SimTide985
Driver

I was surprised over how cheap the plastic is and for a 50K sport sedan, leather nor ventilated seats were not offered for the F-Sport. GS-F.
Who cares if they aren't standard leather? The seats are still nice, aren't they? That "NuLuxe" is more durable than regular leather anyway
Old 09-09-13, 12:13 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Who cares if they aren't standard leather? The seats are still nice, aren't they? That "NuLuxe" is more durable than regular leather anyway
Actually, alot of people do. Including myself. A $50K should atleast have leather. A Q50S has leather why shouldn't a F-Sport. I had an '11 IS350, and leather was standard in the last Gen, not sure why Lexus want to give less for more money (just because it wears an F Badge) but its been their M.O. for years on other models.
Old 09-09-13, 06:48 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Actually I do, I has a 2012 IS350 convertible that had premium aniline leather seating that was both ventilated and heated. The car handled well, and had an excellent interior. For the same price, the F-sport new Is should have had leather and heated and ventilated seats. For a F-Sport, should have more horsepower than the current offering in my opinion.

I can't make myself buy an Infiniti, guess I will need to wait for the new IS-F or the GS-F!

The suspension and ride is great, but for a 50k car, the luxury should be there!
Old 09-10-13, 12:19 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I do, I has a 2012 IS350 convertible that had premium aniline leather seating that was both ventilated and heated. The car handled well, and had an excellent interior. For the same price, the F-sport new Is should have had leather and heated and ventilated seats. For a F-Sport, should have more horsepower than the current offering in my opinion.

I can't make myself buy an Infiniti, guess I will need to wait for the new IS-F or the GS-F!

The suspension and ride is great, but for a 50k car, the luxury should be there!
Exactly how I feel about the 3IS F-Sport
Old 09-10-13, 08:44 PM
LexFather

Q50 actually has leather as an option as well.....fake leather is standard....
Old 09-10-13, 09:02 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Perception seems to have tainted your expectations. The F-Sport is a very specific kind of luxury model for Lexus that appeals to a very specific kind of driver.

First, there is more to luxury than what your seats are made of. You of all people should know that leather comes in a variety of styles, qualities, and craftsmanship. Leather in a $24k Ford isn't the same "luxury" as leather in a $80k Lexus. All leather is not made equal. The Nuluxe material in the Lexus IS F-Sport isn't some cheap desk chair material made in a tent, my friend. Every single review I've read or heard have enjoyed the new seats knowingly that they aren't the regular kind of leather you'd typically find in a car like this. Don't overlook that point.

As far as cooled seats are concerned, I think we've covered that to death. There is that tradeoff but are just too many other things that the F-Sport does provide as a car that you won't find anymore in your 2012 convertible. If you compare them option to option, you'll notice the tradeoffs are quite meaningful.

The Lexus IS F-Sport is a blend of handling, luxury, power, refinement, comfort, and technology. If you think you can get away with just singling it out on it not having the one or two luxury features that you want, well, fine---go get the IS350 with the Luxury package--it's available. However! There's a lot more to the F-Sport than just the luxury element that you're looking for. If you haven't already, go grab the F-Sport and drive it hard and you'll see why it's been destroying the competition in both price and driving dynamics. You'll see where that other money is going.

Last edited by SimTide985; 09-10-13 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 09:17 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Again, bringing up the "Cooled" seats to make a Point. Though i wish they had it in the IS F-Sport, but i can see why its not there, Maybe its marketing but after re-thinking it might be a performance measure as well. Not having it will make the car lighter. But onto the Cool seats (Is it really cooled? I mean I had an ''11 IS350 and it had the "cooled seats" but it didn't "Really" cool, i mean its just Fans blowing thru the perforation of the seats. Its better than nothing but it does add weight to a car thats suppose to be an F-sport. Now, a couple years ago, I owned an LS430 Ultra pkg, man oh man did those seats cool. It literally felt like I had AC on my butt.. LOL But an LS430 is not concerned with weight factors because its not a "Sporty" Sedan. My POINT is: They took away the cool seats because it really didn't work that great and the lack of it saves weight to the car. Now, Sit in an LS if you really want to know what REAL COOLED Seats feel like..
Old 09-10-13, 09:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I mean...come on guys...lets be real. The car should have leather, at least as an option. It should have memory seats at least, if not cooled seats. Its hard to find ANY other car over $30,000 today that can't be had with leather and memory seats, let alone a Lexus.

We can say its a "different kind of luxury" all day long, but thats not being real. The NuLuxe is a great material, I actually prefer it to the base leather in the ES and the leather in the IS. BUT...you've got to give people the option of genuine leather in a luxury car. EVERYBODY else does.

Not to fault the car, its a wonderful car...but people shouldn't have to decide between what really are basic luxuries in any premium mainstream car, let alone luxury car, and sport performance upgrades.

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
They took away the cool seats because it really didn't work that great and the lack of it saves weight to the car.
But they didn't need to save wait on the same car in different markets?

Its to save cost, not weight.
Old 09-10-13, 09:30 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Well, an ISF is usually a loaded car, it doesn't have cooled seats? (I start to wonder why all "sports" oriented model lack the Cooled seats?)
Old 09-10-13, 09:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The cooled seats don't frustrate me as much as the leather and the memory seats.

GS F Sport has cooled seats.

Quick Reply: '14 Q50S vs. '14 IS350 F-Sport: Motor Trend