IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

turn signal shut off on new IS

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 10:58 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal shut off on new IS

Sorry if I am asking about something that may already have been discussed, but the search tool here does not seem to filter based on specific vehicle, or if it does I did not discover the way to do that.

Anyway, after taking a test drive in the new IS350 (which I really, really like a lot), one of the things that I found somewhat annoying was the difficulty in getting the turn signal stalk back to the "off" position, in the middle. I am accustomed to a turn signal stalk that has a decided stable position in the middle, where it is easy to turn off the turn signal, and where it is obvious to you when you have returned it to the middle position. I did not have the same experience at all with the IS350. I found myself fiddling with it several times, moving it all the way to the other direction and then back and back again, on multiple occasions, while trying to turn it off.

My question, which is very sincere, is whether owners have experienced any frustration or annoyance over this, or whether it is something that you quickly adapt to. I want to know what the experience of actual owners is with this, please.
Old 08-27-13, 11:08 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyserS
Sorry if I am asking about something that may already have been discussed, but the search tool here does not seem to filter based on specific vehicle, or if it does I did not discover the way to do that.

Anyway, after taking a test drive in the new IS350 (which I really, really like a lot), one of the things that I found somewhat annoying was the difficulty in getting the turn signal stalk back to the "off" position, in the middle. I am accustomed to a turn signal stalk that has a decided stable position in the middle, where it is easy to turn off the turn signal, and where it is obvious to you when you have returned it to the middle position. I did not have the same experience at all with the IS350. I found myself fiddling with it several times, moving it all the way to the other direction and then back and back again, on multiple occasions, while trying to turn it off.

My question, which is very sincere, is whether owners have experienced any frustration or annoyance over this, or whether it is something that you quickly adapt to. I want to know what the experience of actual owners is with this, please.
I have the same problem, I'm not sure if the turn clicking sound can be turned any louder by the dealer, cause that will solve 95% of my problem. The intermediate turn position sounds nice but it's gotta one of the most annoying thing about this car.
Old 08-27-13, 11:12 AM
WhiteISWay
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I know what you mean. I experienced this on the the test drive. I didn't like it at first, not even the 3 blinker mode. But I got used to it after a few days.

I just adapted to lightly tapping it to shut it off.
Old 08-27-13, 11:15 AM
enoren
Pole Position

My experience is the same as WhiteISway. I felt like an idiot on the test drive (the salesman said it's the GS turn signal, so apparently I was supposed to know how to use it), but after about an hour of driving, I figured out the nuances. My advice is not to worry about it.
Old 08-27-13, 11:27 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by enoren
My experience is the same as WhiteISway. I felt like an idiot on the test drive (the salesman said it's the GS turn signal, so apparently I was supposed to know how to use it), but after about an hour of driving, I figured out the nuances. My advice is not to worry about it.
Try pushing harder so you do a full turn signal, then return the stick softly to turn off the turn signal. This way, it's consistent every time.
Old 08-27-13, 12:35 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally agree , I had the same experience . I had to go left to right signal and opposite which made me feel like if I'm a beginner ! , who ever designed it should be kicked .
Old 08-27-13, 12:43 PM
magne
Lead Lap

The dealer can adjust the level of blinker signal
Old 08-27-13, 12:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

After a few turns driving around, I got used to it. It reminds me of the power window switches. Press until you feel a little resistance to control the motion, press beyond the resistance, and it's locked. Same with the wiper stalk. I actually like the feel now and it finally is not a Toyota-hand-me-down stalk worthy of the Lexus plate. All good
Old 08-27-13, 01:15 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by magne
The dealer can adjust the level of blinker signal
Really? The dealer can actually adjust this? Do the dealers know this? I wonder why my salesperson did not mention this, when it was obvious that I was struggling with it and even mentioned it. He must not have been aware that it was adjustable. Did your dealer adjust yours for you? How exactly is this done?
Old 08-27-13, 01:32 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
After a few turns driving around, I got used to it. It reminds me of the power window switches. Press until you feel a little resistance to control the motion, press beyond the resistance, and it's locked. Same with the wiper stalk. I actually like the feel now and it finally is not a Toyota-hand-me-down stalk worthy of the Lexus plate. All good
I'm getting the sense that there is something extra here that I am not aware of, i.e., a part-way-on position where it blinks but then returns to center (off) as soon as you let go of it. Is something like this going on? I didn't get a chance to read the owners manual, and there is no downloadable version so far as I could tell. Even if that is how it works, my sense at the present is that I will not like this. I also don't understand about the windows, but for this I infer that the behavior is that if you press the window switch only slightly, it will move only as long as you continue to apply light pressure, but will not switch into the roll-all-the-by-itself-even-if-release mode unless you press the switch a little further, overcoming a resistance threshold that you can sense. Is this correct? I think I could tolerate that easily, since if I don't like it, I would simply press it all the way. But it isn't really the same sort of thing. And I don't really have any clue how the wiper stalk would be similar, unless you are just saying that the force thresholds for the different positions are very light. That as well would not be any concern. But I don't like the idea that I would have to concentrate at all on the turn signal switch to insure that it will return definitively to the off position. There are many situations in routine driving, entering a freeway for example, where I just do not want the extra hassle of a turn signal that requires any sort of concentration or focus to turn it off without moving it all the way to the other direction. This certainly isn't something that would enter in to my decision (IS350 vs. Q50), but it sounds like the kind of thing that is going to annoy me. Another response here said that it is dealer-adjustable, but I can't tell whether that was serious or whether that response was just teasing me.
Old 08-27-13, 02:19 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? The dealer can actually adjust this? Do the dealers know this? I wonder why my salesperson did not mention this, when it was obvious that I was struggling with it and even mentioned it. He must not have been aware that it was adjustable. Did your dealer adjust yours for you? How exactly is this done?
There are two blinker positions
  • 1st position - pushing the lever up or down slightly before feeling the click or lock (will return to start position immediately). The factory/default setting is programmed to flash your blinkers 3 times before automatically shutting off. A dealership can change this position to flash 5 times, 7 times, BLINK AS LONG AS IT IS HELD IN FIRST POSITION (my preference) or no blinks at all in first position. (user's manual)
  • 2nd position - pushing the lever up or down until the click or lock is felt (will return to start position immediately). Blinker will flash until a certain degree of steering wheel rotation is satisfied.
Old 08-27-13, 09:31 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Default That helps, thanks. Now ...

Originally Posted by thejaperu
There are two blinker positions
  • 1st position - pushing the lever up or down slightly before feeling the click or lock (will return to start position immediately). The factory/default setting is programmed to flash your blinkers 3 times before automatically shutting off. A dealership can change this position to flash 5 times, 7 times, BLINK AS LONG AS IT IS HELD IN FIRST POSITION (my preference) or no blinks at all in first position. (user's manual)
  • 2nd position - pushing the lever up or down until the click or lock is felt (will return to start position immediately). Blinker will flash until a certain degree of steering wheel rotation is satisfied.
That definitely helps, and I sincerely appreciate it. It would be much better if I could download an owners manual. When I drove the IS350, I did not realize that the stalk was returning to the neutral position as soon as I let go of it. No wonder I was having trouble with it. That really does explain at least half of my problem with it, because when I was trying to get it to return to the neutral position, it actually was already there and I was actually moving it to the other blinker-on position! Okay, now that I understand that, what I still do not understand is how you shut it off. If it is already in the position where you would want to put it to shut off the turn signal, how exactly do you shut off the turn signal?
Old 08-27-13, 09:57 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That definitely helps, and I sincerely appreciate it. It would be much better if I could download an owners manual. When I drove the IS350, I did not realize that the stalk was returning to the neutral position as soon as I let go of it. No wonder I was having trouble with it. That really does explain at least half of my problem with it, because when I was trying to get it to return to the neutral position, it actually was already there and I was actually moving it to the other blinker-on position! Okay, now that I understand that, what I still do not understand is how you shut it off. If it is already in the position where you would want to put it to shut off the turn signal, how exactly do you shut off the turn signal?
  • any setting in first position will turn off automatically or when let go
  • when in second position, move the lever into the opposite first or second position to shut it off.
Old 08-27-13, 10:12 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

It sounds like you've never driven a car before.
To turn off just move the lever opposite just like any other car. You messed it up when you tried to turn it off in first position which isn't needed.
Old 08-27-13, 10:14 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i think you need some time getting used to it.

its a feature, so we need to get used to it.

i remember when i first drove a Merc, it was similar, i was switching my signals, left to right and left without actually switching it off.

Quick Reply: turn signal shut off on new IS