IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Damn you 20" rims!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 11:37 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn you 20" rims!

Ok I have to admit that 20" rims look superb on the IS (can you say Vossen)! But it's all for show right? Harsher ride, more expensive to maintain (tires wear out quicker), more susceptible to damage, etc. Would you even take a road trip with them? The sad thing is that I want them but I don't see the practicality of it. I will be doing daily driving in my IS. Those with 20"s, can you give me any compelling reasons to seriously consider them? .....I hope you can
Old 08-27-13, 05:57 AM
LEXUS1904
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3Gen IS 350 is my daily and I roll on 20" CV7s. The ride doesn't bother me, it's a little harsher with vibrations on the freeway IMO. Yeah your rims (especially Vossens) are going to cost you a buck or two, but if you can afford it why not? Just be smart about it and don't put yourself in debt. I get no performance befits by having 20s. There are some questions you have to ask yourself. Are you planing to track your car? If that's the case obviously 20s aren't for you.
Old 08-27-13, 07:17 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have driven both my 3IS & 2IS with 20" rims and I personally don't think there is a big difference in the ride quality, in all honestly I think if you choose the right tire you will have minimal road noise and vibration. If you plan on modifying the suspension that could also make a difference.

I do love the look of the 20's and even if it did have a harsher ride I still would get them. I love customizing my vehicles. I too drive my 3IS daily, and I am usually able to get 15-20k out of my tires. I don't do silly burnouts or drifting, I just drive.

If 20's are too much price wise and your worried about the ride quality, maybe consider some 19" wheels instead.
Old 08-27-13, 09:42 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I've driven from Palm Beach, FL to Houston Texas on 20" rims... Not a big deal.
Old 08-27-13, 10:51 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Okay, here I go and say something that is going to make some people angry, but I can't help it, because I HATE THE LOOK OF THOSE RIDICULOUS OVER-SIZED WHEELS. They look ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! I can't help it. I hate the fact that other people who like the same car that I like obviously don't have any taste. I hate the fact that if I buy an IS, that I'll be driving the same car that you see other drivers in, with ridiculous gigantic rims and god-knows-what-else stuck on the thing anywhere you can find a place to put something. PEOPLE, STOP PUTTING ALL THIS RIDICULOUS JUNKY-LOOKING STUFF ON YOUR CARS! JUST LEAVE THEM THE WAY THEY WERE WHEN YOU BOUGHT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-13, 12:06 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KeyserS
Okay, here I go and say something that is going to make some people angry, but I can't help it, because I HATE THE LOOK OF THOSE RIDICULOUS OVER-SIZED WHEELS. They look ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS! I can't help it. I hate the fact that other people who like the same car that I like obviously don't have any taste. I hate the fact that if I buy an IS, that I'll be driving the same car that you see other drivers in, with ridiculous gigantic rims and god-knows-what-else stuck on the thing anywhere you can find a place to put something. PEOPLE, STOP PUTTING ALL THIS RIDICULOUS JUNKY-LOOKING STUFF ON YOUR CARS! JUST LEAVE THEM THE WAY THEY WERE WHEN YOU BOUGHT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion so no harm done by how you think or feel. But in my own defense I don't going 2 inches up in wheel size is GIGANTIC. I mean I personally would hate to see an IS rolling on 24's but since Lexus even offers a 19" F-Sport wheel for the IS, I don't think 19's or 20's is that big. But like I said in the beginning, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited by RastaRacer; 08-27-13 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 12:30 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol. Maybe you should have bought a ES or LS if you don't want to see modified versions driving around. And the 18" wheels look way to small for a stock height IS. They should have at least went with 19" from the factory.

And you think "we" don't have taste? "We" don't post things like this hating on other people's cars on an ENTHUSIAST forum. Not sure why your even a member if this forum in the first place?
Old 08-27-13, 01:39 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
I have driven both my 3IS & 2IS with 20" rims and I personally don't think there is a big difference in the ride quality, in all honestly I think if you choose the right tire you will have minimal road noise and vibration. If you plan on modifying the suspension that could also make a difference.

I do love the look of the 20's and even if it did have a harsher ride I still would get them. I love customizing my vehicles. I too drive my 3IS daily, and I am usually able to get 15-20k out of my tires. I don't do silly burnouts or drifting, I just drive.

If 20's are too much price wise and your worried about the ride quality, maybe consider some 19" wheels instead.
Price wouldnt be the major issue but I'm a newbie when it comes to lowering, springs, coilovers, etc. Did the lowering springs on your IS help with the harshness of the ride? What do coilovers do? Other suggestions on possible suspension modifications that would essentially make the ride the least harsh? Tire model/brand recommendations? Probably limited to only a few tire sizes I would imagine.
Old 08-27-13, 01:39 PM
KeyserS
Rookie

Originally Posted by John510
Lol. Maybe you should have bought a ES or LS if you don't want to see modified versions driving around. And the 18" wheels look way to small for a stock height IS. They should have at least went with 19" from the factory.

And you think "we" don't have taste? "We" don't post things like this hating on other people's cars on an ENTHUSIAST forum. Not sure why your even a member if this forum in the first place?
Or, maybe I should look for a different brand?

Yeah, I hate the way that some people stick all sorts of goofy body junk all over their cars, and I hate the fact that Lexus/Toyota even encourages it, by their participation in that after-market industry. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it. And that is my opinion, and it is my right to express it anytime I feel like it, so tough luck for you. AND, if I ever meet you and your car looks ridiculous to me, I will most likely tell you to your face that you can take it however you choose, but your car looks damned ridiculous to me, and I think that you don't have any taste. Why would I do this? Because the plain fact of the matter is that the vast majority of custom mods to cars look utterly ridiculous and are indicative of owners WHO DO NOT HAVE ANY TASTE, AT ALL.

I say again: LEAVE YOUR DAMNED CAR THE WAY IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY.
Old 08-27-13, 02:16 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Really dude? For your 9th post you got a lot to say. I wont be rocking 22 or 24 inch wheels on my car but i will never stop modding cars.....and we have no taste wow
Old 08-27-13, 02:48 PM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Or, maybe I should look for a different brand?

Yeah, I hate the way that some people stick all sorts of goofy body junk all over their cars, and I hate the fact that Lexus/Toyota even encourages it, by their participation in that after-market industry. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it. And that is my opinion, and it is my right to express it anytime I feel like it, so tough luck for you. AND, if I ever meet you and your car looks ridiculous to me, I will most likely tell you to your face that you can take it however you choose, but your car looks damned ridiculous to me, and I think that you don't have any taste. Why would I do this? Because the plain fact of the matter is that the vast majority of custom mods to cars look utterly ridiculous and are indicative of owners WHO DO NOT HAVE ANY TASTE, AT ALL.

I say again: LEAVE YOUR DAMNED CAR THE WAY IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY.
dude why did you even join this forum if your going to rip on people's modified cars. This forum is for enthusiasts not for hater's like yourself. Your right everyone has their own opinion but you came to the wrong place to vent.

Also you say you hate the fact that lexus/toyota encourage modified cars. Pretty much every car manufacturer has cars that are for car enthusiast's that can be modified to make your own. SUBARU, NISSAN, INFINITY, FORD, CHEVY, HONDA, the list goes on. Obviously your knowledge of the car industry is very very small because modified cars has been around for decades and is not going anywhere.
Old 08-27-13, 03:22 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now we know where Paw Paw is. I will place a call to "the home" for an express pickup.
Old 08-27-13, 03:52 PM
LEXUS1904
Driver

True car enthusiast don't judge other
peoples work. There is really no right and wrong. Just opinions. What's up with the negativity? And why are you so worried about other people's car? Worry about your own dude!
Old 08-27-13, 03:56 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Im guessing you bought the non F-Sport 3IS with the base model 17" wheels since you don't like big wheels.

But seriously, you must not have seen some nicely modded 3IS's. Lexus should be proud of the free marketing their getting from enthusiasts and the mods and creativity people put into their cars. Im not saying everyone modded car looks great bcuz I have definitely seen some where I was like whoa, but in the end modding your car is about showing how different you can be. Not everyone wants to live in the same house, drive the same and wear the same clothes. If you want that go play Sims.
Old 08-27-13, 04:02 PM
Mikee81
Driver School Candidate

I'm just going to say... I disagree

oh and keep calm, carry on.

Quick Reply: Damn you 20" rims!