IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 07:48 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
^^^^

The good news is that's only a problem 3 months a year up in Seattle. Although Seattle days do seem to last 18 hours during those 3 months. (Sorry couldn't help myself -- having lived in the PNW 5 years).
LOL! Yes indeed, can't argue there! Hence the reason today us the first time I've noticed it, after 4+ months and 3200 miles of ownership!
Old 03-13-14, 04:09 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Hopefully it's better on the F Sport display, but on the non F Sport instrument cluster, the sun, coming through the sunroof, really washes out the display.
Not better on the f-sport diplay either. Like watching tv in direct sunlight.
Old 03-13-14, 06:33 AM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Hopefully it's better on the F Sport display, but on the non F Sport instrument cluster, the sun, coming through the sunroof, really washes out the display.
So this is what a Non-FSport instrument cluster looks like!
Old 03-13-14, 08:07 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I think it is an overlook or it is the limitation of the the type of screen technology used in non F sport. I have to adjust to full brightness when the sun comes at noon. But other than that, it is fine.
Old 03-13-14, 08:10 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have the sunroof open to vent/popped up, then want to slide it back, you must first close it (using the button on the left) then you can slide it back (using the button on the right). This is the first car I've had where you couldn't go directly from vented to full open.
I think it is a step backward in 3IS as well as other recent Lexus vehicles.

In 2IS or previous generation of other Lexus vehicles , you can go directly from tilt open position to fully open by one push and hold.
Old 03-18-14, 07:05 PM
CharlieVo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carderoni
Here in the US the down arrow moves you down the list on the NAV screen, which is up in number.
Old 03-18-14, 07:18 PM
Base9se
Rookie

Don't know if it's been covered, but pressing the up and down arrows in between the menu and home buttons zooms in/out the nav display.
Old 03-18-14, 07:51 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
In 2IS or previous generation of other Lexus vehicles , you can go directly from tilt open position to fully open by one push and hold.
No you cannot do that on a 2IS
Old 03-24-14, 12:12 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So two things I've discovered about my car, and I don't believe they've been posted yet, but maybe they have...this is a long thread...

First, the gas pedal, when you initially floor it, actually has more room to go. There's like a click it has to get past to be fully floored. So if you press it smoothly until it stops, just give an extra bit of oomph and you'll see there's a little bit more travel. Maybe this is just my car, though? But this made it so the car would upshift (when I floored it) below 6,400RPM to now it's making it just up to redline.

Next, the sunroof. When you open it up, it stops on its own, but it's not actually fully open. Once it stops, you can hit open again and you get another 4-5" of travel. However, I noticed that there's a serious wind buffeting issue between 30-40mph that causes a very uncomfortable feeling and sound. Above 40mph, though, you feel much more breeze on your head with it open fully. But if you try it, just wait and see how weird it sounds and feels around 35mph. It's actually really not a good feeling.
Old 03-24-14, 12:43 PM
PhoenixOne
Rookie

Yup. Well aware of that wind baffling sound. It happens on our ML350 as well when we roll the windows down to a certain point.
Old 03-24-14, 02:29 PM
profet
Rookie

Originally Posted by JGard18
First, the gas pedal, when you initially floor it, actually has more room to go. There's like a click it has to get past to be fully floored. So if you press it smoothly until it stops, just give an extra bit of oomph and you'll see there's a little bit more travel. Maybe this is just my car, though? But this made it so the car would upshift (when I floored it) below 6,400RPM to now it's making it just up to redline.
This has been on every automatic German car I've ever owned.

This is known as a "kick down" switch. It basically tells the transmission you want to downshift (if possible).

Last edited by profet; 03-24-14 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 02:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by profet
This has been on ever automatic German car I've ever owned. This is known as a "kick down" switch. It basically tells the transmission you want to downshift (if possible).
I do not have this on mine. Is it perhaps on the 8 speed version only?
Old 03-24-14, 02:37 PM
profet
Rookie

I do not have this on mine. Is it perhaps on the 8 speed version only?
I actually didn't notice it on my car either (IS 350 AWD F-Sport). But I'm still in break in so I haven't floored it yet.
Old 03-24-14, 02:56 PM
Slust
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@JDR76
You must have had the sun pointing directly at your instrument cluster. I don't drive with the top open often but even around Noon I don't see that.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I like how the fuel bar turns orange when you are low on fuel. Even though its pretty obvious when you are low on fuel it is a nice touch. Not courageous enough to see if it turns red, it was still orange with 19miles left on "Range" when I filled up.
Old 03-24-14, 03:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slust
@JDR76
You must have had the sun pointing directly at your instrument cluster. I don't drive with the top open often but even around Noon I don't see that.
Any and every sunny day (so, not THAT often during this time of year), at 4 pm as I'm leaving work...

I'm a big sunroof user. If it is not raining, it's open.

Quick Reply: Interesting Little Details Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)