IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 01:09 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are very nice emblems. But at the price given, no way. If I was ballin, i'd be driving something else.
Old 10-02-13, 02:05 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy to report Sewell is handling the problem very well; I e-mailed them around noon and they e-mailed me this afternoon stating they're sending out replacements; they've also e-mailed me a return shipping label.

Nevertheless; yes, after receiving these and feeling the weight / quality of them, etc., $200 is steep, but hopefully they will make a big impact when installed. I like these subtle modifications that go unrecognized by commoners; debadging and 50% tints, included.
Old 10-03-13, 01:08 PM
fastdak25
Pole Position

I am thinking of ordering the just front grille emblem by itself. Can you explain how to get the cover off under the hood, such as the 2nd pic in the OP? I see there are two screws that come off, then a bunch of plastic lock-in-place plugs. How do I get those loose w/o breaking them?
Old 10-04-13, 05:48 AM
bfrd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastdak25
I am thinking of ordering the just front grille emblem by itself. Can you explain how to get the cover off under the hood, such as the 2nd pic in the OP? I see there are two screws that come off, then a bunch of plastic lock-in-place plugs. How do I get those loose w/o breaking them?
Just push in the center of the plugs. Once you do that they should lift out easily. To re-install simply push down on the point and pop the button out in the other direction. Fit the plug back into the hole and then push down flush.
Old 10-04-13, 05:11 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs600
Otherwise, is everyone sure that there are no issues with the rear emblem coming off on its own in time? I feel that no matter the adhesive used, it's not as good as the factory...
After you remove the old emblems, be sure to remove all of the old adhesive with goo-gone or equivalent, then wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol. These are essentially the factory parts, they won't be going anywhere.
Old 10-05-13, 10:24 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

WTF, the new, replacement emblems came with similar, but marginally better hairline scratches / scuff marks. I'm sort of really pissed. Those of you who bought black pearl emblems from Sewell already, did you ever notice same!? Why can't they get this right?
Old 10-05-13, 11:56 AM
JWadle
Driver School Candidate

I found these license plate frames in black pearl for my UW F-sport: They match the black pearl emblems from Sewell.

The frames are the Ultra Z model from here:

http://www.jewelryforcars.com/Frames...duct_make.aspx

They are plated zinc alloy and very high quality.
Old 10-05-13, 04:32 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

I spoke with someone from Sewell. He said they're likely like this because they do not come from the manufacturer with protective plastic and are stored in a draw. So he says it’s either from shipping from the manufacturer to them or from their storage or from shipping from them to me. He made it like he hasn't dealt with this problem before, that he'd have to look through the draw one by one, which would take time, etc. and that no one's been as particular as me, but that'd he do so. He was nice about it, but I find this strange. So let's see. Would’ve thought they would've taken the time to ensure they were sending out a pristine set the second time...

So no one who's bought from Sewell has had this problem?

Last edited by dbs600; 10-07-13 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-06-13, 02:41 PM
JWadle
Driver School Candidate

So I spoke with someone from Sewell. He said they're likely all like this because they do not come from the manufacturer with protective plastic and are stored in a draw. So he says whether it’s from shipping from the manufacturer to them or from their storage or from shipping from them to me, it may be occurring due to same. He made it like he hasn't dealt with this problem before, that he'd have to look through the draw one by one, which would take time, etc. and that no one's been as particular as me, but that'd he do so. Strange, even though he was nice about it. So let's see. Would’ve thought they would've taken the time to ensure they were sending out a pristine set the second go around...

So no one who's bought from Sewell has had this problem?
Mine from Sewell were perfect.
Old 10-06-13, 02:53 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JWadle
Mine from Sewell were perfect.
Argh; not sure why it's happening to me then, but guess there's hope yet...
Old 10-07-13, 12:28 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Latest with Sewell is that they want me to return the emblems for a full refund.

They say they don't know how to accommodate me and it may be a perception problem, as they plan to sell the emblems I'm having issue with as new when they get them back!

I'm disappointed because I wanted the black pearl emblems, but don't want to put something less than pristine on my new car.

Any other suggestions / recommendations?

Last edited by dbs600; 10-07-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 12:43 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Do you think Sewell realizes they probably will not sell another set of black emblems to anyone on this forum?
Old 10-07-13, 01:15 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enoren
Do you think Sewell realizes they probably will not sell another set of black emblems to anyone on this forum?
Hmm, not sure, but didn't frame it like that when speaking with them.

Person I spoke with was nice and seems to have done all he can (stating the second set he sent me came directly from the fabricator), but he just left it up to me; whether or not I want to return them...

Last edited by dbs600; 10-07-13 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 03:55 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Latest with Sewell is that they want me to return the emblems for a full refund.

They say they do not know how to accommodate me and that it may be a perception problem, where they plan to sell the emblems I'm having issue with as new again when they get them back!

I'm disappointed because I wanted the black pearl emblems, but don't want to put something less than pristine on my new car...

Any other suggestions / recommendations?

Confused!
I'm planning to get my existing rear emblem painted. I am going to leave the front as-is because it has the protective plastic. Here is the DIY on painting it black: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...my-fsport.html

Last edited by G8rGirl; 10-07-13 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 02:31 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

How did you remove the engine bay cover on top of the front grille?

Would a screw driver be sufficient?

I see a ton of black plastic caps; do I pop them off and there are screws beneath?

Thanks!

Last edited by dbs600; 10-10-13 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IMSCHUR (11-28-17)

Quick Reply: Black Pearl Emblem Installation DIY (Front & Rear)