IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excitement turns to sadness: read for those getting their cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-13, 12:58 PM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Excitement turns to sadness: read for those getting their cars

After 3 weeks of waiting for the car to show up at a dealer 2 hours away it finally arrived. My wife and I picked it up yesterday and I quickly did a look over. Everything looked great and I thought nothing of it. This morning I wake up to wash, polish, and seal the car. I soon noticed the driver front rim was damaged with a couple gouges out of it. Pretty bummed at this point but figure at least I know the rim will be replaced. Another hour goes by and this time I hit the same rim with some soap and I see bubbles. To my disbelief the tire has been punctured in the sidewall. Not just in one place either but 2 separate places almost perfectly aligned with the gouges on the rim. Now I am completely shocked, angered...I can't drive the car. With the tire any sort of large bump and the tire could easily blow out. Better question is what is my dealer 2 hours away going to do. Hopefully they can work out something with my local dealer but as of now I am down a car. Also this with exactly 112 miles on the odometer. Moral of the story for those getting their cars completely look the car over before leaving. Here are pics:

Old 08-18-13, 01:18 PM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
After 3 weeks of waiting for the car to show up at a dealer 2 hours away it finally arrived. My wife and I picked it up yesterday and I quickly did a look over. Everything looked great and I thought nothing of it. This morning I wake up to wash, polish, and seal the car. I soon noticed the driver front rim was damaged with a couple gouges out of it. Pretty bummed at this point but figure at least I know the rim will be replaced. Another hour goes by and this time I hit the same rim with some soap and I see bubbles. To my disbelief the tire has been punctured in the sidewall. Not just in one place either but 2 separate places almost perfectly aligned with the gouges on the rim. Now I am completely shocked, angered...I can't drive the car. With the tire any sort of large bump and the tire could easily blow out. Better question is what is my dealer 2 hours away going to do. Hopefully they can work out something with my local dealer but as of now I am down a car. Also this with exactly 112 miles on the odometer. Moral of the story for those getting their cars completely look the car over before leaving. Here are pics:

You think that some road debris could have caused this on your 2 hour drive home? I would be surprised if a dealer would deliver a car with damage that evident without disclosing it.
Old 08-18-13, 01:23 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I took delivery of my "just off the truck" G35 6MT back in 2005 you would have thought I was overly cautious but it took a good 45 min for my personal inspection. I recommend using a checklist.
Old 08-18-13, 01:24 PM
sarcoptic
Driver

The drive home was pretty much all interstate with no chunks of debris. I think if it was that I would of felt it in the car. This was definitely done via the delivery. I was thinking maybe the way it was clamped on the truck or on the rail.
Old 08-18-13, 01:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope your dealer gives you a wheel and tire but I doubt it.
How can you miss that kind of damage on delivery?
Old 08-18-13, 01:31 PM
sarcoptic
Driver

Good question...if they were in a rush or they tried to pass it off. I am definitely not responsible for this damage and I am sure the dealer will take care of it.
Old 08-18-13, 01:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good question...if they were in a rush or they tried to pass it off. I am definitely not responsible for this damage and I am sure the dealer will take care of it.

Your not checking out the car on delivery and 2 hour drive home may hurt you but I hope not.
Good luck,though..
Old 08-18-13, 01:40 PM
sarcoptic
Driver

With the wheel rotated and damage at the bottom, without running your fingers over the rim you would have never seen it, which I think is why we missed it.

The reason I know the tire damage wasn't from the drive is because it is punctured straight through, clean, even and completely inline.

Couldn't imagine what debris could cause that.
Old 08-18-13, 01:55 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it hit a curb.
Old 08-18-13, 04:13 PM
sarcoptic
Driver

Actually now that I think of it...I bet it didn't happen during delivery but when the dealer installed the wheel locks. My guess was there was a lug nut stuck and they used a little too much force and gave way. These were already installed when we picked up the car. My guess was some low on the pole tech screwed up and didn't say anything...
Old 08-18-13, 04:13 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sad to learn about your experience.

Maybe for now, the first step is to email the pictures to the salesman of the dealership where you bought car from, as well as contacting Lexus USA? When any portion of the side wall of the tire is damaged, there is no patching possible. From the way the tire puncture and the rim damage, it looks like someone has hit your driver's wheel really hard with a corner of a curb.

In fact, it is dangerous to drive the car with such a tire. You should be thankful that the tire was not acting up during your 2-hour drive back home. And you are right, the wheel can be replaced. They should send a new wheel and someone to replace it on the spot.
Old 08-18-13, 04:16 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually now that I think of it...I bet it didn't happen during delivery but when the dealer installed the wheel locks. My guess was there was a lug nut stuck and they used a little too much force and gave way. These were already installed when we picked up the car. My guess was some low on the pole tech screwed up and didn't say anything...
It sounds quite plausible. At delivery, it would have been very difficult not to notice the wheel damage because it is on your driver's side and the damage is quite big and concentrated.

Keep us posted how it turns out. Good luck.
Old 08-18-13, 04:27 PM
GeorgeHill
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure you hit something in your way back home! Don't blame the dealer... all they can do is give you a new rim and a tire at their own cost, but you will still paying from your own money. Good luck!
Old 08-18-13, 05:16 PM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

If the PDI was done properly the mechanic would not let that pass inspection. Good luck explaining that to the dealer.
Old 08-18-13, 05:43 PM
sarcoptic
Driver

Well the PDI list only has one section filled out (the interior) area and that is it. The rest was never marked as I have a copy right here. Also the PDI could of been done before the wheel lock install. I think I would admit fault if I had hit something or better yet have felt it while driving the car. There is not other marks on the wheel or car. Just the 2 gouges an what appears to be something that entered the sidewall and came through the other side. No curb is sharp enough to accomplish that.

Quick Reply: Excitement turns to sadness: read for those getting their cars