IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus Smart Card Key (Credit Card Key)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 11:29 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Card Key Compatability in Canada

Has anyone successfully added the wallet card key to their IS in Canada? One of my local dealerships I checked with said it cannot be programmed into my 2015 IS350.

Aside from compatibility, an equivalent RX wallet key with programming and cutting is $900 from the dealer. Has anyone from Canada ever ordered from Sewell? I emailed them and they said don't sell internationally due prevent market disruptions between countries (typical USA-Canada spiel).
Old 01-19-15, 05:26 PM
SanDeezy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
Has anyone successfully added the wallet card key to their IS in Canada? One of my local dealerships I checked with said it cannot be programmed into my 2015 IS350.

Aside from compatibility, an equivalent RX wallet key with programming and cutting is $900 from the dealer. Has anyone from Canada ever ordered from Sewell? I emailed them and they said don't sell internationally due prevent market disruptions between countries (typical USA-Canada spiel).
Totally getting this for my GS.

Edit; And nope they don't have it for the GS now i'm sad
Old 01-22-15, 10:01 PM
computerwi
Advanced

I confirmed with both dealers in Edmonton that the credit card key is not compatible. Was anyone is the US able to add on the credit card sized key? I'm wondering if this is an FCC or IC thing..
Old 01-22-15, 11:27 PM
nova123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I confirmed with both dealers in Edmonton that the credit card key is not compatible. Was anyone is the US able to add on the credit card sized key? I'm wondering if this is an FCC or IC thing..
That's so strange, you would assume all would be compatible by default since the basis of the car's program is pretty much the same for most markets right?

This actually comes standard in Australia - it actually quite is convenient to have!
Old 01-23-15, 05:44 AM
sinakh89
Rookie

Default 3 months of usage review

Having been using this card key since I got the car about 3 months ago I can tell that it def is a space saver. but also keep these things noted:

- it has no button for opening the trunk. (U have to get close to the trunk and manually open it)

- you cant remote start the car with the card (My car factory installed had Remote engine starter built in the original fub) again bc it doesn't have any buttons.

- the material isn't as durable as the stock remotes fubs so you really wanna be careful with them if you plan to use them on a daily basis.

- Last but not least I don't know if you can start the car by holding it close to the start button in case the battery goes out like you can with the original fubs.
it does have a physical key built into it but I don't think (yet not sure) that you can start the car without batteries in the card as you can with the key fubs.

The card is thin enough to put it in my card holder and save some pocket space/weight
Old 01-23-15, 09:34 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But you still have to carry a keychain for your house, etc.
Old 01-23-15, 11:36 AM
sinakh89
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdotk
True but still 1 less to remember to pick up and carry with me.
Old 01-23-15, 11:53 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish the smart card key is included in the purchase of 3IS for North American market. Just as others have stated, in some other markets, 3IS comes with one regular smart remote and one smart card key. It would be a thoughtful arrangement for

1. Single car owner (probably mostly men) who keep smart card key in their wallet to save some weight.

2. Multiple cars with two owners (say a couple) -- the secondary owner keeps the smart card key while bringing a regular remote for the other car (primary ) regardless of the car make. It is quite heavy to bring two full remotes all the time.
Old 01-23-15, 05:46 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Funny enough, the parts department told me that is possible to add the card key to the 2nd gen IS. Why its not available for this generation in North America, I have no idea...
Old 02-01-15, 06:48 AM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sdotk
Nope.

Usually, I open the garage door with the homelink, then digital keypad lock to enter the home.

If I'm on foot, I open the garage door with my phone using a $99 module on my alarm system. My office has keycard entry.

Finally no keys!

I've been using the card key for about five months. It is my favorite Lexus feature and I will be very hesitant to switch to a brand that doesn't have a card key.
Old 02-01-15, 06:55 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny enough, the parts department told me that is possible to add the card key to the 2nd gen IS. Why its not available for this generation in North America, I have no idea...
Sometimes they answer when they really don't know the true answer. They just don't want to look like an idiot
Old 02-28-15, 10:26 PM
davidoff20
Driver School Candidate

Default pricing

My local dealership is charging 395 plus tax...wondering if that is a bit overpriced
Old 02-28-15, 11:32 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by davidoff20
My local dealership is charging 395 plus tax...wondering if that is a bit overpriced
Well that is probably full price. I recall the keys are $250-300 and an hour of dealership labor for programming is around $100-120 here so yeah, it adds up.
Old 03-01-15, 05:52 AM
NVMarkus
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check Sewell and sign in as a club Lexus member, I think I get t the card for $200 and 50 to program
Old 03-01-15, 06:09 PM
arthur520
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NVMarkus
Check Sewell and sign in as a club Lexus member, I think I get t the card for $200 and 50 to program
Beginning today, ordering from Sewell is no longer an option, as they have shut down their online site. Yep, that sucks.

Quick Reply: Lexus Smart Card Key (Credit Card Key)