Clunk feeling upon acceleration - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Clunk feeling upon acceleration

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-13, 09:03 PM   #1
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default Clunk feeling upon acceleration

Anyone experience a slight clunk feeling from dead stop under more aggressive acceleration...my 14 250 AWD has done this on 3 or 4 occasions. Just wondered if anyone else has felt it.
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 09:26 PM   #2
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default

Also it seems to occur only when accelerating from stop into turns.
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 02:04 AM   #3
UpSideDown
Lead Lap
 
UpSideDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SE
Posts: 599
Default

Turn off the traction control and try it again.
UpSideDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 02:53 AM   #4
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpSideDown View Post
Turn off the traction control and try it again.
better not most likely :-)
spwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 09:00 AM   #5
flippd
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 169
Default

You sure there isn't anything in the trunk that's not tied down?
flippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 09:10 AM   #6
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippd View Post
You sure there isn't anything in the trunk that's not tied down?
That's originally what I thought it was...but everything I had in my trunk was in the exact position I put it in when I left, so it's not that...but that's the sensation you get when it happens
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 11:45 AM   #7
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F
 
corradoMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 7,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLex23 View Post
That's originally what I thought it was...but everything I had in my trunk was in the exact position I put it in when I left, so it's not that...but that's the sensation you get when it happens
Did you double-check the jack and tire replacement equipment is tight (or just remove it for testing)? Have you tried to reproduce it from a rolling start instead of a dead stop?

I'll be getting mine in two weeks so can't comment/confirm just yet but I never had this noise with my '08 250 AWD.
corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 11:52 AM   #8
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradoMR2 View Post
Did you double-check the jack and tire replacement equipment is tight (or just remove it for testing)? Have you tried to reproduce it from a rolling start instead of a dead stop?

I'll be getting mine in two weeks so can't comment/confirm just yet but I never had this noise with my '08 250 AWD.
Haven't checked jack or spare. It's only happened a few times in the 500 miles I've put on the car. I might check the spare to see if its loose.
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-13, 12:00 PM   #9
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default

Just checked both and everything is snug.
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 01:55 PM   #10
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default

Well guys gotta take the IS in tomorrow for the clunk or thump when accelerating hard from a stop on what only appears to be left turns. Sucks since this car has less than 600 miles but I don't think it's normal behavior. Thought it was my spare since nothing is in the trunk but I can clearly feel it under the car and my spare is tight.

Some have said it may be the trac control kicking in but it's not a loss of power, but rather mechanical in nature. Hope my car does not need major repairs already...tearing apart a new ride, while under warranty still makes me sick. I'll keep you all posted...anyone else experience anything similar??
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 03:02 PM   #11
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F
 
corradoMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 7,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLex23 View Post
Well guys gotta take the IS in tomorrow for the clunk or thump when accelerating hard from a stop on what only appears to be left turns. Sucks since this car has less than 600 miles but I don't think it's normal behavior. Thought it was my spare since nothing is in the trunk but I can clearly feel it under the car and my spare is tight.

Some have said it may be the trac control kicking in but it's not a loss of power, but rather mechanical in nature. Hope my car does not need major repairs already...tearing apart a new ride, while under warranty still makes me sick. I'll keep you all posted...anyone else experience anything similar??
This might be a stretch, but could be something with the hand (foot) brake? Another poster talked about a clunk and it turns out it's the parking brake cable as it was a similar issue with the 2IS. The fix seems to be that you need to use the foot brake a couple times when parked and release it, then noise is gone. It's one of the first things I'll be doing tomorrow before I drive off from the dealer lot when I get my car. Give it a shot, you never know...
corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 03:09 PM   #12
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default

I am definitely going to try this but it likely won't rectify the issue before tomorrow morning, so I'll test it out when I get the car back. Car drives beautifully aside from clunk feeling and noise and it does not do it under light acceleration, so I'm hoping its an easy fix. The fact that no one else has experienced this makes me a little nervous. Saying my prayers tonight it isn't a drive shaft or transmission issue.
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 03:22 PM   #13
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLex23 View Post
Well guys gotta take the IS in tomorrow for the clunk or thump when accelerating hard from a stop on what only appears to be left turns. Sucks since this car has less than 600 miles but I don't think it's normal behavior. Thought it was my spare since nothing is in the trunk but I can clearly feel it under the car and my spare is tight.

Some have said it may be the trac control kicking in but it's not a loss of power, but rather mechanical in nature. Hope my car does not need major repairs already...tearing apart a new ride, while under warranty still makes me sick. I'll keep you all posted...anyone else experience anything similar??
VSC works by applying brakes... you will hear clunk when brakes are activated.

since you are saying you are only hearing when accelerating hard in corners, then i would guess it is it... otherwise things that happen during hard acceleration would also happen when you brake (something loose).
spwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 03:26 PM   #14
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F
 
corradoMR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 7,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLex23 View Post
I am definitely going to try this but it likely won't rectify the issue before tomorrow morning, so I'll test it out when I get the car back. Car drives beautifully aside from clunk feeling and noise and it does not do it under light acceleration, so I'm hoping its an easy fix. The fact that no one else has experienced this makes me a little nervous. Saying my prayers tonight it isn't a drive shaft or transmission issue.

Odds are very much in your favor (thousands to one) it's not a major mechanical issue. Regardless, if the foot brake trick doesn't do it or it's not the VSC kicking in as Spywolf suggests, relax, Lexus will take care of you and the car!
corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 03:37 PM   #15
JLex23
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IA
Posts: 69
Default

Valid points for sure guys!!! I'll keep you posted for sure after I hear back tomorrow. My dealership is great so I expect that they will make sure everything is legit.
JLex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clunk while braking -Feedback? corradoMR2 IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 7 02-12-16 01:25 PM
Transmission clunk ARM350F GS - 4th Gen (2013-present) 6 10-28-15 04:51 PM
2000 es300 clunking noise. joegreen ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 16 08-02-15 08:59 AM
Clunk Noise 02SDGS ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 6 08-01-15 06:25 PM
"clunk" under hard acceleration from a stop ncsucarjoc LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) 23 05-26-15 07:57 PM


Tags
250, 400, acceleration, accelorating, clunk, clunks, engine, hear, jacking, lexus, ls, point, sc400, stop, thud

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved