IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 11:49 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd

These were both standard AWD cars. Not F sport or S type.

I don't have much time to type this up but just want to say both test drives were pretty short (about 2 miles). Here in NYC, the dealers are all located along 11th ave/50th streets in Manhattan and all the dealers do similar test drives up the Henry Hudson parkway to 125th street and back.

IS was very unlike any Lexus I've ever owned or driven (06' GS430, 07 ES350). I really enjoyed the IS a lot, even though it was non F. It was very sporty, crisp handling. Nice punch when pushed on the gas pedal. Good road feel through steering wheel. Sat in a F on the showroom floor and love the seats. Oh God! The seats!!!!

Q50 AWD was different. I've owned an 04 G35 coupe. Q50 felt very....electronic. It didn't have the sport pkg so it didn't have the growl sound I really much am after. None of the touchscreens were operational at the time of test drive because they weren't initiated. No matter. I didn't enjoy the car as much as I enjoyed the IS. It's bigger than IS I think. It felt bigger. I'm not into big cars but I felt I'd give it a test since it is a direct competitor.

Haven't decided if I will get the IS or wait. Currently I'm reading a book called "Death of a Car Salesman". It's written by the guy who does the blog autospies. Pretty good read. I'd recommend ti to anyone considering buying or leasing a new car.
Old 08-12-13, 12:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for your opinion and agree the Q50 is a little too big and more conservative for me as well (Camry-like).
Old 08-12-13, 12:59 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Cant stand the interior on the Q50. The center console is ugalee!
Old 08-12-13, 01:34 PM
MuskOx
Driver School Candidate

It seems like a lot of us are cross shopping the Lexus IS350 and the Infiniti Q50. I'm also looking at the Cadillac ATS, but it's a distant third on my list because I don't like the styling and the rear seat is borderline unusable.

I test drove all three this weekend - a Lexus IS350 F Sport AWD, an Infiniti Q50S AWD and a Cadillac ATS 2.0T. I found the Infiniti Q50's Direct Adaptive Steering to be terrible. It had a very numb, wooden feel. But I liked the room inside the car - the rear seat is considerably bigger than that of the IS350. I really enjoyed driving the IS350 and I was thrilled with the handling and the steering. But thinking about it now, the ride quality wasn't great and the rodes here in MN can get rough. I might go test a non-F Sport IS350, but I fear that it would no longer be as much fun. It seems like the press is just starting to review these cars as well. I found one site that has recent reviews of both the Lexus IS http://carmatcher.com/blog/review-20...s-is350-sport/ and Infiniti Q50 http://carmatcher.com/blog/review-2014-infiniti-q50/, and they're reviews seem pretty honest. I may wait to see if Consumer Reports tests these cars as well, although I noticed their initial take on the Lexus IS wasn't wonderful.
Old 08-12-13, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I don't put any stock in Consumer Reports auto "reviews". If you're buying a refrigerator or a washing machine sure, but a car to them is an appliance...and it isn't to me.

I just sat in the Q50, I had stopped by an Infiniti dealer to test drive the JX35 (or QX60 or whatever) as a potential replacement for our Jeep. Didn't drive the Q50, but I did sit in the one on the showroom floor.

I gotta tell ya...I liked it. I also really liked the 3IS, which I have driven, but if I were buying a daily driver car at that price point...I really might do the Q50 over the IS. It is bigger and more conservative, which appeals to me. I really liked the interior. I'll drive one at some point...
Old 08-12-13, 03:07 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by MuskOx
It seems like a lot of us are cross shopping the Lexus IS350 and the Infiniti Q50. I'm also looking at the Cadillac ATS, but it's a distant third on my list because I don't like the styling and the rear seat is borderline unusable.

I test drove all three this weekend - a Lexus IS350 F Sport AWD, an Infiniti Q50S AWD and a Cadillac ATS 2.0T. I found the Infiniti Q50's Direct Adaptive Steering to be terrible. It had a very numb, wooden feel. But I liked the room inside the car - the rear seat is considerably bigger than that of the IS350. I really enjoyed driving the IS350 and I was thrilled with the handling and the steering. But thinking about it now, the ride quality wasn't great and the rodes here in MN can get rough. I might go test a non-F Sport IS350, but I fear that it would no longer be as much fun. It seems like the press is just starting to review these cars as well. I found one site that has recent reviews of both the Lexus IS http://carmatcher.com/blog/review-20...s-is350-sport/ and Infiniti Q50 http://carmatcher.com/blog/review-2014-infiniti-q50/, and they're reviews seem pretty honest. I may wait to see if Consumer Reports tests these cars as well, although I noticed their initial take on the Lexus IS wasn't wonderful.
Here's a good comparison: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...35i-again.html
Old 08-12-13, 03:09 PM
yycdave
Driver

Interesting how the Q50's ride is supposed to be so much smoother. That really surprised me.
Old 08-12-13, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't surprise me. The IS is supposed to be predominately a sport sedan, while the Q50 is more of a compromise vehicle, it needs to appeal to ES and IS purchasers.

I can say, from sitting in it I would not even consider an ES compared to a Q50...unless it absolutely drives like crap. MUCH nicer inside and more expensive looking overall than the ES. Tighter in the rear, but not really moreso than the previous ES models, just compared to the 2013.
Old 08-12-13, 03:51 PM
LexFather

I could chime in tons
Old 08-12-13, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Did you drive the Q50 before you got your IS? I'd be interested to know what you thought...
Old 08-12-13, 05:14 PM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Been a long time Infinit owner G35 coupe and a G37S Journey sedan. I love my G coupe but it drove me nuts cus of the rattles it never got fixed til I got rid of it. My current G sedan is the same way with the glove box. Lease is almost up so I'm not even going to bother with fixing it. I was checking the new Q50 today I saw a white one with prem and a black in sport. It was nice but to be honest I was expecting more. It's like that girl who is good for a girlfriend but you can never intro to your parents and say she's the one I'll marry...lol! Well you know what I mean. I test drove the non sport model and just like any Infiniti it come standard with rattles. It is quiet compared to my G37 power is there but same lazy shifting tranny is there. They said that the sport shifts better but IDK I haven't tried it yet. The test drive went ok but it didn't give me the wow factor.

Then I went to the Lexus dealer across the street checked out the Lexus '14 IS350 F Sport drove it and OMG! It is freakin light years ahead of the Q50 at least that's how it felt. The technology on this car is just unreal from the gauges to the leather (nulex) and controls....I'm in love with this car. Never owned a Lexus before I guess there is a first time for everything. I also test drove the IS250 F sport even that car is light years ahead. The Q50 is nice for what it is but compared to the IS it's not even in the same league.

The sound of the engine at open throttle, the smoothness at acceleration and shifting of gears, the paddle shifter in sport mode is just sweet.... heaven I tell you. I was pushing the car to the limit and it was just begging for more. I had a silly grin on my face that wouldn't go away. The funky gauges the navi screen the seats it's just screaming yummy! I found the rear seat to be uncomfy but then again I'll let my passengers worry about that cus I won't be sitting in the back. The lease on my G37 is up in about 4 months I can trade it in next month and to be honest I can't wait. I can't wait to track this car and see how it will do in Laguna Seca.

I saw the IS250 Silver with Champagne Red interior it was nice. I'm trying to see if I can get the white one with red interior. Anyway, I can't wait to get the IS hope it will a very pleasant experience for a fist Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd-is350-4.jpg   Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd-is350-7.jpg   Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd-is350-6.jpg   Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd-is350-1.jpg   Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd-is350-8.jpg  

Old 08-12-13, 06:02 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice 1st post glennp2014

Don't underestimate the "numbness" of the steering. The Genesis was like that and I kept over compensating and that was troublesome.
Old 08-12-13, 10:18 PM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Glashub
Nice 1st post glennp2014

Don't underestimate the "numbness" of the steering. The Genesis was like that and I kept over compensating and that was troublesome.
I'm use to the electronic steer I have a car now that has it, you just have to get use to driving it. It's not so bad on this car try driving the corolla or the camry now that is another story.
Old 08-12-13, 11:05 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's hard to take a comparison review seriously when the phrase "light years ahead" is used more than once comparing 2 cars from the same class.
Old 08-12-13, 11:33 PM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
It's hard to take a comparison review seriously when the phrase "light years ahead" is used more than once comparing 2 cars from the same class.
Well that's how it felt like I said the wow factor on the Q50 was not there. The interior of the car looks almost the same as the G the seat adjuster is exactly like the G's. I'm sorry but to me Infiniti didn't do enough for the new body style with the software delay on the Intouch it's hard for me to even consider the Q. To me the Q didn't even feel like it was in the same league. Being sold for over 50k with all the bells and whistles on it to me it's not enough car to justify the price. Even with the update on the software 2 days after people took their car home the nav is freezing up apps are not even functional until the new software is applied. The Q I test drove had a rattle coming from the driver side dash and the rear passenger roof lining. Why can't Infiniti fix a simple thing like a rattle it had been a standard on all the Infiniti's I have owned and I didn't even ask for the rattles they just threw it in for free. The car felt heavy and body roll was, well enough for me to back off the throttle as with the IS it was begging for more I had to lift cus the road ran out. I test drove both cars on the same road cus the both dealer are just across from each other. So IDK you can have your own opinion on the new Q if you feel like buying the Q go for it. I for one will not back off from my review on the IS. To me it felt like Lexus did a better job than Infiniti in putting out a new model car.

Quick Reply: Test drove Infiniti Q50 and IS350 awd