IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When will the IS250 get an engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 12:35 AM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When will the IS250 get an engine replacement?

Hey guys, when do you think the IS250 will get an engine replacement? Lexus did a great job with the 3IS all around except for a few minor complaints, but I feel like retaining the old anemic 2.5L V6 is a huge let down.

BMW's 4 cylinder turbo pumps out an astounding 240hp and I believe it gets the car to 60 in the 5 second range. That's fantastic and I must give BMW their props for this. The A4 also has a fantastic base engine in the 2.0 Turbo with terrific torque.

The IS250 is clearly outclassed in this regard. Now don't get me wrong, I'll bet that the majority of 250 owners are female and don't really care about performance. For the rest of us that don't want to splurge on the 350, there should be a better base engine.

Do you guys think Lexus will introduce a 4 cylinder turbo for the IS250 down the line to better compete with the competition? Perhaps in 2-3 years for the models refresh?
Old 08-12-13, 12:55 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Lexus will introduce Turbo engines when they're more reliable.

the turbo engine in Mercs, Audis and BMWs are powerful but they usually suffer from:
- excessive oil consumptions
- overheating
- quicker overhaul

that said, BMWs turbo engine is really powerful. but the CLA 2.0 with 355bhp is the best.
Old 08-12-13, 01:19 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jennypenny
that said, BMWs turbo engine is really powerful. but the CLA 2.0 with 355bhp is the best.
390BHP according to this dyno.
http://www.benzboost.com/content.php...ll-four-wheels
Old 08-12-13, 02:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

probably in 2 years or so...
Old 08-12-13, 03:28 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Would be a nice surprise if they kept the displacement but tuned it so it pumps out somewhere in the region of 240-260hp
Old 08-12-13, 09:58 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are rumours about plans of straight 4 forced induction for 2015 but nothing confirmed
Old 08-12-13, 10:24 AM
misterbao
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Take this with a grain of salt, but supposedly the RC250 that is coming out next year might have a turbo 2.0 liter. Perhaps Lexus will do the same to the IS250 as well, IDK...

http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...ew_lexus_rc_f/
Old 08-12-13, 10:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbao
Take this with a grain of salt, but supposedly the RC250 that is coming out next year might have a turbo 2.0 liter. Perhaps Lexus will do the same to the IS250 as well, IDK...

http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...ew_lexus_rc_f/
The next engine will be tied into the 4 banger coming with the new smaller cute ute SUV by Lexus.
Old 08-12-13, 07:22 PM
QuentinB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figure we'll see it in MY15.
Old 08-12-13, 07:41 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by McMuffin
Hey guys, when do you think the IS250 will get an engine replacement? Lexus did a great job with the 3IS all around except for a few minor complaints, but I feel like retaining the old anemic 2.5L V6 is a huge let down.

BMW's 4 cylinder turbo pumps out an astounding 240hp and I believe it gets the car to 60 in the 5 second range. That's fantastic and I must give BMW their props for this. The A4 also has a fantastic base engine in the 2.0 Turbo with terrific torque.

The IS250 is clearly outclassed in this regard. Now don't get me wrong, I'll bet that the majority of 250 owners are female and don't really care about performance. For the rest of us that don't want to splurge on the 350, there should be a better base engine.

Do you guys think Lexus will introduce a 4 cylinder turbo for the IS250 down the line to better compete with the competition? Perhaps in 2-3 years for the models refresh?
I totally agree with you. IS250 motor is a piece of #$% . not powerful enough, not terrible good on gas either, takes premium, carbon build up issue. Continue to use the same engine on the third generation after 7 years for another (we don't know how many) 3-4 is such a terrible mistake on Lexus part when all the manufacture stepped out their game with more efficient and powerful engines. The competition look so much better for IS250 owners.
Old 08-12-13, 08:19 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I totally agree with you. IS250 motor is a piece of #$% . not powerful enough, not terrible good on gas either, takes premium, carbon build up issue. Continue to use the same engine on the third generation after 7 years for another (we don't know how many) 3-4 is such a terrible mistake on Lexus part when all the manufacture stepped out their game with more efficient and powerful engines. The competition look so much better for IS250 owners.

Respectively disagree - if I wanted a fast car the is250 or 350 in any variant wouldn't be the answer. It all depends where you're coming from and want in a sports sedan. For me I'm coming from the first generation 2001 Is300 - this engine gave me 220,000 hard miles and it was still in tip top condition before I sold it to my Lexus mechanic.. The current 2014 IS250 is an excellent upgrade - it provides me similar performance, better gas mileage, precision mechanics, eco/sports options etc and ultra reliability.

Re: premium gas: If your're buying a $40k sports sedan buying premium gas is a non issue.
Old 08-12-13, 08:27 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryWest
Respectively disagree - if I wanted a fast car the is250 or 350 in any variant wouldn't be the answer. It all depends where you're coming from and want in a sports sedan. For me I'm coming from the first generation 2001 Is300 - this engine gave me 220,000 hard miles and it was still in tip top condition before I sold it to my Lexus mechanic.. The current 2014 IS250 is an excellent upgrade - it provides me similar performance, better gas mileage, precision mechanics, eco/sports options etc and ultra reliability.

Re: premium gas: If your're buying a $40k sports sedan buying premium gas is a non issue.
You're the perfect Lexus customer. You're happy that a car 2 generations NEWER is better than 1st generation IS that you had?

Let's be honest here, Lexus isn't competing against itself, it's competing against it's rivals. BMW, Audi, Mercedes all have turbo 4 cylinders. That in itself wouldn't be a big deal if the IS250 had a V6 engine that could actually compete.

The Turbo 4 gets better gas mileage, makes more power, AND has far more tuning potential for those that are interested in such.

Lexus resting on its laurels and carrying over an engine that was first introduced in 2006 is unacceptable.
Old 08-12-13, 08:55 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Respectively disagree - if I wanted a fast car the is250 or 350 in any variant wouldn't be the answer.
We are talking about IS250 here. IS350 is another story, still keep up with competition while IS250 is losing against BMW and even cadillac and others.
It all depends where you're coming from and want in a sports sedan. For me I'm coming from the first generation 2001 Is300 - this engine gave me 220,000 hard miles and it was still in tip top condition before I sold it to my Lexus mechanic.. The current 2014 IS250 is an excellent upgrade - it provides me similar performance, better gas mileage, precision mechanics, eco/sports options etc and ultra reliability.
Doesn't make any sense comparing a 13 yo car and saying the new one is better. if you would come from a 2006 IS250 the upgrade was just visual and tech with a 7 years old engine.
People pay more of the invoice price just to save on gas for the lifetime of the vehicle. That mentality doesn;t fly unless you buy a supersport v8/v12 car. Gas mileage on this class is a very important matter.

Last edited by keyframe13; 08-12-13 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 09:18 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Bit of a logic brain fart here... You're comparing the 250 engine to one you had in 2001 and saying it's better... He's comparing the 250 used in a 2014 vehicle to other 2014 vehicles in the same class. The only advantage it would have is that it's probably a smoother engine.
Old 08-12-13, 09:29 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Bit of a logic brain fart here... You're comparing the 250 engine to one you had in 2001 and saying it's better... He's comparing the 250 used in a 2014 vehicle to other 2014 vehicles in the same class. The only advantage it would have is that it's probably a smoother engine.
I would bet that the typical person who post in here is not the typical Lexus buyer - I'd admit for the Lexus enthusiast (for the lack of a better term) would not be happy with non change with the IS250 engine from the previous generation but I would guess most buyers wouldn't know this fact and more important probably wouldn't care -- My guess is that most buyers would want a smooth, responsive, & ultra reliable engine.

Quick Reply: When will the IS250 get an engine replacement?