IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When will the IS250 get an engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 09:19 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand why people on this forum compare the BMW/Mercedes/Audi to the Lexus is250. Wouldn't its direct Japanese luxury brand competitors would be a better comparison to its German counterparts.

I think the Acura TSX (4cyl), and Infiniti G25 is a more near direct competitor that Lexus is thinking about and the IS250 competes actually rather well. All Cars produce around 200-215 hp respectively, comes in AWD(except tsx) or Single drive train options, as well as similar MPG rating 22/28 mpg. Also all handles rather similarly

Also all cars have secondary options TSX v6 (3.5l, 280hp), G35s/G37 (3.7l 328hp), IS350 (3.5l 300hp).

I think the Japanese build their cars differently than the Germans and under different specs that its not really fair to complain and say "well the Germans got this so why cant lexus do it too?!?"
Old 08-13-13, 10:18 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I don't understand why people on this forum compare the BMW/Mercedes/Audi to the Lexus is250. Wouldn't its direct Japanese luxury brand competitors would be a better comparison to its German counterparts.
Hardly. Many consumers cross shop german and japanese brands. I'm not sure why it wouldn't make sense to compare them just because of where they're made unless you have a reason you didn't bring up here.
Old 08-13-13, 10:24 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYKnick101

I think the Acura TSX (4cyl), and Infiniti G25 is a more near direct competitor that Lexus is thinking about and the IS250 competes actually rather well. All Cars produce around 200-215 hp respectively, comes in AWD(except tsx) or Single drive train options, as well as similar MPG rating 22/28 mpg. Also all handles rather similarly

Also all cars have secondary options TSX v6 (3.5l, 280hp), G35s/G37 (3.7l 328hp), IS350 (3.5l 300hp).

I think the Japanese build their cars differently than the Germans and under different specs that its not really fair to complain and say "well the Germans got this so why cant lexus do it too?!?"
It's not people on the forum, the majority of buyers in general shop for a car in the same class.
Old 08-13-13, 10:33 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yowps3
It's not like the IS250 is as slow as some here make it out to be.

The base 3 series has only 180hp

The base ATS has a 2.4 4-cyl
True, but you see the gas mileage those car has? 24/36mpg...Plus the turbo one has 240hp faster than IS250 and still get better gas mileage
Old 08-13-13, 10:33 AM
LexFather

As Hoovey reported awhile ago, next year...
Old 08-14-13, 07:36 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by keyframe13
True, but you see the gas mileage those car has? 24/36mpg...Plus the turbo one has 240hp faster than IS250 and still get better gas mileage
The ATS is slow and a real world gas guzzler. That 2.4L 4-cyl is atrocious.
The base 3 series is a 320i with 180HP and BMW have good PAPER MPG, in real world they're not good. Not to mention the 3 series is lighter, has stop/start & has 2 extra gears for the PAPER MPG ADVANTAGE
Old 08-14-13, 07:38 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The 328i cost more than the IS350!

That's stupid.
Old 08-14-13, 07:39 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kelvin105
Honestly, the smart person would rather enjoy a V6 than a 4 cylinder that cost 40k Lol. Open the hood and see which car looks more attractive, aside from the fact that the IS is already more attractive (at least to me) than the old style beemer. Do people really think they look cooler in a slightly faster car? If so, there are plenty of cars out there faster than the 328.

Also for those of you hoping that the IS will get an engine replacement... I can guarantee that it wont happen until the next generation comes out. What Lexus may do is bring the IS300h into the US market or have we heard that it's coming out with a new line of car? the RC? Lexus never does an engine replacement for the same generation model.
This is very true.
Old 08-14-13, 09:08 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Honestly, the smart person would rather enjoy a V6 than a 4 cylinder that cost 40k Lol. Open the hood and see which car looks more attractive, aside from the fact that the IS is already more attractive (at least to me) than the old style beemer. Do people really think they look cooler in a slightly faster car? If so, there are plenty of cars out there faster than the 328.

Also for those of you hoping that the IS will get an engine replacement... I can guarantee that it wont happen until the next generation comes out. What Lexus may do is bring the IS300h into the US market or have we heard that it's coming out with a new line of car? the RC? Lexus never does an engine replacement for the same generation model.
I personally don't know anyone that said, "you know, that other car was so much more powerful, but I picked this one because of the nicer engine cover that's under the hood that's always closed"

Lexus has changed engines mid cycle. ES and RX got the 330 treatment from 300 the GS got the 430 treatment from the previous 400. They were variations of the original, but different nonetheless.
Old 08-14-13, 12:58 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

We have an '08 IS 250 and there is no way I would lay out multiple $1000's more for the same powertrain. Can't rationalize getting a sporty looking luxury car that can be beaten out by a Camry, Altima, Avalon or an Accord V-6 in both speed and MPG. Even the Accord 4 cylinder is about as fast and gets much better MPG than the Lexus 250. The 250 power is adequate but I want more than adequate. Due to the carbon issue my Lexus has for years not idled as smooth as my old '01 Acura CL or even our '13 Elantra GT- sad to say but the Elantra even shifts smoother particularly from 1-2. I don't need the power and added expense of the IS 350 since I live in the SF Bay Area and would rarely use it but if I am going to shell out significantly over 40K it will need to be sporty AND fast. Will wait and see what Lexus comes up with next or will be looking elsewhere.
Old 08-15-13, 05:02 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've posted a number of times that maybe people who are unhappy with the 3IS should go look at a Genesis R-spec -- every feature they could want including ventilated seats, leather dashboard trim, hill assist radar cruise control, 19 inch wheels and the silkiest, best 8cyl I've owned. All for 42K!

The only problem is that if both cars were pushed hard through the twisties out by Malibu the Genesis would find it's feature rich butt at the bottom of a ravine while the 3IS with it's ancient power plant would continue cutting through the canyons at breathtaking speeds.
Old 08-15-13, 08:05 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Mustang will sure be a lot faster and cheaper...... Everyone knows the person in the beemer is driving a 4 cylinder, no one needs to open that hood to know that it's a cheap engine. What are you going to do with a "more powerful engine" race random cars on the streets and beat them?
No, not everyone does actually, and if everyone did, everyone would also know how crappy the 250 really is. And there are people who want decent power in a luxury sports sedan, something the 250 nor the mustang provide.

If I have to explain the benefits of a more powerful engine, we should stop the discussion here because that suggests you're being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn, which would make it impossible to have a discussion with. Or you've only driven underpowered cars your entire life, so you wouldn't understand.
Old 08-15-13, 08:58 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
I've posted a number of times that maybe people who are unhappy with the 3IS should go look at a Genesis R-spec -- every feature they could want including ventilated seats, leather dashboard trim, hill assist radar cruise control, 19 inch wheels and the silkiest, best 8cyl I've owned. All for 42K!

The only problem is that if both cars were pushed hard through the twisties out by Malibu the Genesis would find it's feature rich butt at the bottom of a ravine while the 3IS with it's ancient power plant would continue cutting through the canyons at breathtaking speeds.
Im actually happy you mentioned this car because it is a really REALLY nice car. 430hp, except its a bit of a boat. Kinda like the 5 series, or if the LS and GS inbetween. Sporty in the sense that its fast, powerful, and great options but not size and weight wise. handles like the pontiac g8 IMO.
Old 08-15-13, 09:38 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It is one heck of a great car. the Tau engine is an engineering marvel -- voted best engine in the world 2 years running I think. The Lambada engine is a great one too -- produces 333hp from 6 cyl. engine with no turbo, etc. Hyundai Motor Company has also shown a supercharged version of the 4.6 Tau MPi engine at 2008 SEMA show and later 2009 Chicago Auto Show. This engine was equipped with a supercharger and cylinder deactivation technology to produce an estimated 460 horsepower while returning better fuel economy.

It was explained to me that there are a couple of critical differences between Japanese and Korean cultures -- the Koreans encourage independent thinking and don't rely on group think and approval -- and they see value in throwing huge amounts of revenue into R&D.

The next gen Genesis may be the car that kicks butt -- but for right now -- their steering, handling and ride leave something to be desired.
Old 08-15-13, 12:38 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

I just want to pick up the last line there. There are stock mustangs out there that are way cheaper than the 328/335 and cant wait to beat those beemers in a drag race lol. Just remember in terms of driving dynamics, the IS wins. Also if you can afford a 40k car then you shouldn't worry about the gas $$, unless you're fighting your way to get a car you cannot maintain.
Sorry, but I cannot agree with your last sentence either. I can afford a 40K car or even a much more- I have owned BMW's, Porches, as well. However, in terms of the environment and my wallet at this point I also want bang for the buck in terms of MPG. I see no reason to pay more money for a car with very good handling and less MPG and power when other sport luxury cars will offer it all. . and I do not consider Mustangs or similar cars to be in a similar class. I feel that the 3IS with a 250 needs more speed to equate to its driving dynamics.

Quick Reply: When will the IS250 get an engine replacement?