IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When will the IS250 get an engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 12:08 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryWest
I would bet that the typical person who post in here is not the typical Lexus buyer - I'd admit for the Lexus enthusiast (for the lack of a better term) would not be happy with non change with the IS250 engine from the previous generation but I would guess most buyers wouldn't know this fact and more important probably wouldn't care -- My guess is that most buyers would want a smooth, responsive, & ultra reliable engine.
The engine isn't responsive at all, its lethargic, it has a carbon build up issue so not all THAT reliable. It is smooth though, you got 1/3. Your typical buyer knows how to read and can easily see higher MPG and power numbers on the competitions vehicles window sticker. Your typical buyer will also go for a test drive and experience the power disparity first hand. Your arguments are full of holes at best and completely irrelavent at worst.
Old 08-13-13, 12:14 AM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
The engine isn't responsive at all, its lethargic, it has a carbon build up issue so not all THAT reliable. It is smooth though, you got 1/3. Your typical buyer knows how to read and can easily see higher MPG and power numbers on the competitions vehicles window sticker. Your typical buyer will also go for a test drive and experience the power disparity first hand. Your arguments are full of holes at best and completely irrelavent at worst.
Sales #'s would say you're wrong -- we'll see
Old 08-13-13, 02:09 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that most buyers would want a smooth, responsive, & ultra reliable engine.
Wait until your gas price goes up to 9$/gallon as in Europe, then the most of you will have turbo engines that have more power and higher MPG fugures.
Old 08-13-13, 02:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Wait until your gas price goes up to 9$/gallon as in Europe, then the most of you will have turbo engines that have more power and higher MPG fugures.
probably hybrids instead :-)
Old 08-13-13, 03:09 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably hybrids instead :-)
Yes, or hybrid. Or even diesel too.
Old 08-13-13, 04:16 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

He actually mentioned that if you buy a $40k car you shouldn;t worry about the gas price
Old 08-13-13, 04:44 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

why cant Lexus just stick a turbo into the 2.5? See what BMW has to say then.
Old 08-13-13, 06:17 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keyframe13
He actually mentioned that if you buy a $40k car you shouldn;t worry about the gas price
I bet there will be less and less people will buy a car to that price or higher with old thirsty engine and low power instead of more efficient engine and more power. Does it make sense to you?
Old 08-13-13, 06:47 AM
JerryWest
Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
why cant Lexus just stick a turbo into the 2.5? See what BMW has to say then.
I'm sure the Lexus brain trust has put thought into adding a turbo but with any design changes there are trade-offs in response/lag, smoothness, and reliability they are not willing to make at the moment .
Old 08-13-13, 06:49 AM
JerryWest
Driver

If gas goes to $9/gallon were in the wrong car - time to look at a hybrid or electric powered cars ....
Old 08-13-13, 08:02 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

It's not like the IS250 is as slow as some here make it out to be.

The base 3 series has only 180hp

The base ATS has a 2.4 4-cyl
Old 08-13-13, 08:04 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to burst your bubble, but turbocharged engines actually consume much more gas. Many headlines about Ecoboost and MPG problem. The 1.6 Ecoboost less performance than 2.5 Camry, yet guzzles more gas.
Old 08-13-13, 08:18 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Sales #'s would say you're wrong -- we'll see
Pretty sure an IS 250 isn't outselling a 328. Sounds like another argument based on brand loyalty rather than reality.
Old 08-13-13, 08:56 AM
greggy23
Rookie

Wow, such strong feelings for the IS250 engine. Not the car, the engine. Yes, it's an old engine. Yes, it's not that powerful. Yes, it has some issues. Yes, the competition has turbo's. Yes, Lexus should come out with new tech for their newest car.

All that being said I still think the IS250 is a great car and the engine is more than adequate for my needs and most others. I'm only disappointed in the gas mileage. You would think they could at least tweak the engine to get 25 City and 32 Hwy.

My first choice would have been an IS300h if it was offered here in the states. For my driving style I would never utilize the IS350. I drive mostly in the city and for short distances so 100 more HP doesn't do anything for me.

When I drive my girlfriend's 2011 IS250 F-Sport it has more than enough power for me. I can accelerate fine on to the freeway. I can overtake slower cars with little effort. I can cruise at 80mph smoothly.

Bottom line, yes, Lexus should upgrade the engine of their entry level sports sedan. They probably will in the next year or two. They have a plan and they'll follow their plan regardless of how much we, the minority, complain.
Old 08-13-13, 09:02 AM
flippd
Driver

I'm betting they're waiting to upgrade both engines at the same time. If they upgrade the 250's engine and get it closer to the 350s, then they risk losing 350 sales.

Quick Reply: When will the IS250 get an engine replacement?