IS350 F-Sport Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 02:54 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by munozj
Update...

Just spent an hour driving the Lexus tech up I280. He had his "Flight Recorder" hooked up to the car and was noting the steering issues when I was experiencing them.

We found there was really no repeatable way to get the steering to "lock", but it happened multiple times between 80 -90 mph in Normal Mode. Slowing below 70 mph appears to reduce the effect. Switching to Sport+ immediately "locks" the steering response, but switching back to Normal Mode doesn't guarantee the steering will loosen back up.

Lexus is going to have their engineers examine the data and try to determine why the response is so erratic, and what's triggering it.

I'll update once they let me know.
ok good, so he/she acknowledged that something was definitely up?

Thank you for doing this for us...
Old 08-18-13, 12:16 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I stumbled on this thread randomly.

Any updates on this?
Old 08-18-13, 08:54 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Hmmm, I stumbled on this thread randomly.

Any updates on this?

Same here. This doesn't worry me just yet as it might just be something that is so new to us and perhaps even the tech, that it's not yet fully understood.

However it does cause me to stay on top of this issue and see what the results will be.

The more and more I keep reading some of these threads, the more I realize getting a first year production vehicle could be costly.
Old 08-18-13, 09:40 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Came across this thread randomly and had a similar issue as described, but on a previously owned 2006 IS350 and a 2008 ISF. So no VGRS since it was not available on the 2nd gen IS.

The problem would occur only on the highway, after driving continuously for 10+ minutes. It would not occur all the time or consistently, so duplicating the issue was extremely random. Some days, it would not happen at all. No error codes or anything. Just a "stuck" steering point when trying to turn the wheel slightly off center.

Example would be, driving at highway speeds, steering wheel is straight. A slight bend in the road comes up, need to turn the steering wheel slightly, but it feels "stuck" or resistive. So have to give it more muscle to move the wheel past that point, but end up giving a little too much steering input\angle, resulting in a non smooth transition. Moving the wheel after that, and the problem was not present immediately afterwards. However, it could occur again later or not for the rest of the trip.

It's definitely not a tire or alignment issue, as the EXACT same problem was on 2 completely different cars. I never got it figured out, nor did the dealers (could not replicate,) so I deduced it to something to do with the electronic steering rack. Perhaps the electronics controlling the steering were overheating....since it occurs only after prolonged driving.

Last edited by itsmike177; 08-18-13 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-18-13, 09:48 AM
munozj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was assured I would hear back from the service department by Wednesday, 8/14. It's now 8/18, and surprise, no response, despite the voicemail I left them...

I'll update the thread once I have more info. They're getting an earful tomorrow!
Old 09-01-13, 06:21 PM
munozj
Driver School Candidate

Latest update...

Lexus Service is telling me this steering response is normal.

No way! You can't convince me that a performance sedan is DESIGNED to be less stable at high speeds! Ridiculous!

Again, if any of you 2014 F-Sport owners ARE NOT seeing this issue, please post. I'm referring the Lexus people to this forum as a means to convince them my car has a problem.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-13, 06:31 PM
munozj
Driver School Candidate

Default Latest Update

So after months of frustration... I'M AGAIN TOLD THAT THIS IS NORMAL!

I'm also told there are only 3 other cars on the West Coast with VGRS installed! Crazy, I guess we know why they're blaming the entire issue on this obscure option.

I worked for nearly 2 months with Lexus headquarters, finally convincing them to send a more experienced tech from So. Cal to Nor. Cal. He drove the car a total of 16 miles and diagnosed it as working correctly.

So once again, I'm stuck.

Does ANYONE else with the VGRS option and IS350 F-Sport experience a similar issue? I'm nearly ready to drop the keys off and tell Lexus to shove it.

Thanks
Old 12-29-13, 01:59 AM
Slust
Pole Position

I did not have this problem in my 2IS, the 3IS F-Sport I test drove (hit 98ish MPH) or the 3IS 250 loaner I have right now but I'm glad you are updating this thread in case the F-Sport I am waiting on has this issue.

I think the loaner I am in has VGRS but I'm not sure and I'm not sure how to verify without getting the dealer to tell me. I could not find the sticker in glove compartment which is odd.

Good luck on getting this resolved. Like you said, I don't think this is normal at all. Maybe it is for VGRS but definitely not for Lexus in general, especially since I've test driven a few and had a lot of Lexus loaners.
Old 12-29-13, 04:40 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
I did not have this problem in my 2IS, the 3IS F-Sport I test drove (hit 98ish MPH) or the 3IS 250 loaner I have right now but I'm glad you are updating this thread in case the F-Sport I am waiting on has this issue.

I think the loaner I am in has VGRS but I'm not sure and I'm not sure how to verify without getting the dealer to tell me. I could not find the sticker in glove compartment which is odd.

Good guess but no VGRS available on any of the 250 models, it's exclusive to the 350 F-Sport RWD.

If I have a slight complaint on my 250 F-Sport, it's that the steering is a little on the light side/overboosted. In fact, our RX F-Sport requires more resistance at all speeds - go figure.
Old 12-29-13, 05:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust

Good luck on getting this resolved. Like you said, I don't think this is normal at all. Maybe it is for VGRS but definitely not for Lexus in general, especially since I've test driven a few and had a lot of Lexus loaners.
if the steering wheel has the electronic adjustment for height/depth its VGRS
Old 12-29-13, 06:04 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
if the steering wheel has the electronic adjustment for height/depth its VGRS
That's incorrect. Power tilt and telescopic steering has nothing to do with VGRS - which is a 350 F-Sport RWD feature only.
Old 12-29-13, 08:28 AM
crazych42
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll make note of this issue when I get mine in a couple months...
Old 01-09-14, 12:04 PM
MD99SC300
Driver School Candidate

I just stumbled upon this thread while searching for symptoms on my steering issue.

BUT I have an 08 IS350 and r0shiro's symptoms match mine exactly. Below is my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ng-anyone.html
Old 01-09-14, 12:20 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its just the VGRS. Nice and smooth at low speeds but when at high speeds the steering tightens up so its more responsive to tiny adjustments made by the driver. Its exactly how VGRS is supposed to work.
Old 01-09-14, 01:13 PM
71detomaso
Driver School Candidate

I have VRGS and drive my car for hours on end in high 70's low 80 MPH
commuting back and forth to south florida
I never experience any difference in steering related to speed that could be called sticking
there is just gentle resistance at higher speeds almost unnoticeable
if you need more than finger pressure to change lanes i.e. you must grip wheel with all fingers
you have a problem
FWIW my car is very early production s/n around 1000

Quick Reply: IS350 F-Sport Steering Question