IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Little Things About the 2014 IS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 02:27 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Things About the 2014 IS

The rain has stopped and my baby is washed and waxed. Time to put down some initial thoughts on the 2014 IS. I picked up my black on black 250 AWD F-Sport on Tuesday, so this is based on about 5 days of driving, but I already have a few things I love and a few things I miss from my 2009 IS.

Features I love:
  • Drop Stop - Has anyone else noticed the built in drop stop between the front seats? I first saw it on Shark Tank, but it's a little wedge that prevents things from falling between the seats. Nice touch.
  • 4-Door Unlock - It was frustrating in my '09 to have to reach into my pocket or click the inside unlock button to unlock the passenger doors, so I love that I could program my '14 to unlock all doors at once.
  • Hands-Free Music - No more plugging in to the auxiliary jack because both the phone and music connect to the car automatically with Bluetooth. My iPhone never leaves my pocket.
  • Digital Instrument Cluster - Just love it. Especially the ability to program the information display.

Features I miss (These are going to come off like nit-picky things, so let me just clarify that I love the 2014 IS.):
  • Trunk Extras - The trunk is missing the grocery bag hooks and the plastic "tray" in the corner. Not to mention the First Aid kit is no longer flush with the floor in a recessed area.
  • Room in the Glove Box - With the divider and the manuals, there is no space for anything else. Luckily, the manuals are available on my iPhone, and then I ripped out the divider.
  • Mirror Compass - I know, the nav screen tells me my direction, but I was in the habit of checking the mirror. I'll adjust.
Anyone else have things they love and/or miss with the 2014 IS?

Last edited by enoren; 08-03-13 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-03-13, 03:11 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I didn't know the purpose for the drop stop until now, it kind of looks like an afterthought some kind of foam stuck between seats and arm rest. Good thing I didn't try to remove it.
Old 08-03-13, 05:04 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, interesting feedack.

You have anymore photos of your IS? I'm really liking the Obsidian paint
Old 08-03-13, 05:08 PM
D&G
Pole Position

Congrats and I agree more pics pls
Old 08-03-13, 06:16 PM
Bushum
Driver School Candidate

Too late now but you could have programmed your 2009 to open all doors. It's just a keyfob sequence.
Old 08-03-13, 07:11 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I too took reception of my Black on Black 2014 IS250 --- Coming from the 1st generation IS300, I have nothing but praise for the 3rd generation -- I'm getting more neck crooning than my 1st generation did (& it got a lot) --- so many nice touches and features I feel like I'll be in the candy store for a long time -- even the new mirrors (w/ blind detection) don't seem to pool as much water as the 1st generation mirrors.

Old 08-03-13, 07:12 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by enoren
The rain has stopped and my baby is washed and waxed. Time to put down some initial thoughts on the 2014 IS. I picked up my black on black 250 AWD F-Sport on Tuesday, so this is based on about 5 days of driving, but I already have a few things I love and a few things I miss from my 2009 IS.

Features I love:
[*]Drop Stop - Has anyone else noticed the built in drop stop between the front seats? I first saw it on Shark Tank, but it's a little wedge that prevents things from falling between the seats. Nice touch.[*]4-Door Unlock - It was frustrating in my '09 to have to reach into my pocket or click the inside unlock button to unlock the passenger doors, so I love that I could program my '14 to unlock all doors at once.[*]Hands-Free Music - No more plugging in to the auxiliary jack because both the phone and music connect to the car automatically with Bluetooth. My iPhone never leaves my pocket.[*]Digital Instrument Cluster - Just love it. Especially the ability to program the information display.

Features I miss (These are going to come off like nit-picky things, so let me just clarify that I love the 2014 IS.):
[*]Trunk Extras - The trunk is missing the grocery bag hooks and the plastic "tray" in the corner. Not to mention the First Aid kit is no longer flush with the floor in a recessed area.[*]Room in the Glove Box - With the divider and the manuals, there is no space for anything else. Luckily, the manuals are available on my iPhone, and then I ripped out the divider.[*]Mirror Compass - I know, the nav screen tells me my direction, but I was in the habit of checking the mirror. I'll adjust.

Anyone else have things they love and/or miss with the 2014 IS?
I also noticed the door stops after a few visits to the showroom. It is really a thoughtful design. Lexus cars have this kind of attention and it is not surprising to find out some details even after a few years of ownership. After checking the 3IS, I looked at my 2IS again (2006) and it also has door stop as well but it is not as big or as obvious as in the new 3IS.

Regarding the trunk, the hooks are missing? Good observation. For the plastic trays which I also noticed they are missing, IMO, it is not a bad change as without the plastic trays, the trunk space can be more efficiently utilized. The only downside to me is I have to find another way to rest my food takeout (those which are in plastic bags).

Actually there is one thing missing which bothers me and I will retrofit the one in 2IS back to the 3IS -- the trunk light doesn't have a switch. I think 99% it should work.
Old 08-03-13, 07:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

If there aren't hooks in the trunk, there's at least the cargo net and the necessary hardware available. Hmm... come to think of it, if the 3IS does not come with this as standard, I may just order it as I find it convenient in the RX and CT...

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2014/6463.html

As for the glovebox tray, I remember in my 2IS, it was there as well and I removed it to make the tight glovebox a little roomier. I can't recall which gen has the larger glovebox though...
Old 08-03-13, 07:40 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by enoren

Features I love:
  • Drop Stop - Has anyone else noticed the built in drop stop between the front seats? I first saw it on Shark Tank, but it's a little wedge that prevents things from falling between the seats. Nice touch.
  • 4-Door Unlock - It was frustrating in my '09 to have to reach into my pocket or click the inside unlock button to unlock the passenger doors, so I love that I could program my '14 to unlock all doors at once.
  • Hands-Free Music - No more plugging in to the auxiliary jack because both the phone and music connect to the car automatically with Bluetooth. My iPhone never leaves my pocket.
  • Digital Instrument Cluster - Just love it. Especially the ability to program the information display.
All door unlock its not a new feature and I bet your 2009 has it. It's just a programmable thing you can do from the remote once and all the time you slide your palm under the handle will unlock all doors instead of just front.
Hands free music also existed since 2010.
Old 08-03-13, 07:54 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Sorry all, I wasn't trying to imply these features were all new to the 2014, just that they're the small things I appreciate in the move from 2009 to 2014. It occurred to me that the all-unlock feature was probably programmable by the dealer in my '09, but I like that I can control it through the settings myself on the '14.

I liked the plastic tray in the trunk to put my wet golf towels after a round. I'll have to come up with a new plan. As for cargo nets, I've always found them more trouble than they're worth. Had one in the '09 and have another one with the '14, but they don't do a good job of containing groceries. Not to mention, they get in the way of putting golf clubs in the trunk.
Old 08-03-13, 08:45 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The mirror compass has been gone since 2010 or 2011, my '11 doesn't have it, it's one of the little things they should have kept.
Old 08-03-13, 11:20 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wednesday
The mirror compass has been gone since 2010 or 2011, my '11 doesn't have it, it's one of the little things they should have kept.

Mirror compass is obsolete IMHO as the compass (as with other readings such as tire pressure) can be viewed/selected as part of your middle view between the RPM and MPH gauges in the non-F series.
Old 08-03-13, 11:52 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ash tray in front of the shifter (which i used as a cubby for my phone)
sunglasses holder behind the rear view mirror
Old 08-04-13, 03:06 AM
RA040224
Driver

I was in a hurry when I got the car, so I didn't bother to install iTunes and upload my new music to my iPod. Instead, I just copied it to a memory stick. And it works great, except that it doesn't order the tracks by name when playing. A bit annoying when listening to live recordings...
Old 08-04-13, 05:23 AM
F350
Pole Position

Hey man where were you able to download the manual on your iphone ?

Quick Reply: Little Things About the 2014 IS