View Poll Results: Which Motor Oil Do You Prefer
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
45.45%
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
18.18%
Amsoil
36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Which 0W-20 Synthetic Oil Does Everyone Use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-23, 09:05 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Which 0W-20 Synthetic Oil Does Everyone Use?

My 3IS has always used the Dealer 0W-20 Synthetic Oil which is likely Toyota bottle. As I have higher miles on my car 163k, I wanted to switch over to brand that can help keep the engine clean. Oil changes are every 5k for me - personally don't believe the 10k OCI.

The 3 brands I am considering is Amsoil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, or Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

What brands do you guys prefer or use?
Old 09-25-23, 08:41 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Been using Castrol in my IS and the wife’s Mazda.
Figured if the brand is good enough for my Jag, with a sticker price 2x my IS, is should be good enough for our other cars.
Old 09-26-23, 05:36 AM
bgross88
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JNP1227
My 3IS has always used the Dealer 0W-20 Synthetic Oil which is likely Toyota bottle. As I have higher miles on my car 163k, I wanted to switch over to brand that can help keep the engine clean. Oil changes are every 5k for me - personally don't believe the 10k OCI.

The 3 brands I am considering is Amsoil, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, or Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

What brands do you guys prefer or use?
I rotate between Pennzoil and Mobil Full Synthetic High Mileage, whichever is on sale. My 2016 has 125K on it, and like you, I change my oil every 5K. I've had the car for 3.5 years, runs great, and doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes.
Old 09-26-23, 06:15 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

5k OCI with M1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy (the one with the green label).
Old 09-26-23, 03:46 PM
iamroddy
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Most dealers have a bulk tank, and whoever gives them the best deal gets to fill it. In our case, it is a Mobil dealer. It is different than the bottled stuff from the dealer (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, aka TGMO). TGMO is one of the best 0W20s out there. That said, I'd have no problem using any of the three you listed...all good stuff. Of that three, I've used the Pennzoil most often...hard to beat at the price point, and often comes on sale.
My personal preference though, is Redline. I use 0W20 in the winter, and 5W30 in the summer. If Redline is out of stock, I replace the 0W20 with TGMO or Pennzoil, and the 5W30 with Castrol 0W30 Euro formula (aka German Castrol).
There's lots of good oil info (and opinions) over on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums.
Old 09-26-23, 07:08 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 274 Posts

Whatever’s on sale is what I use when I DIY

The engine will be the last thing to fail on a Toyota
The following users liked this post:
v33k (10-04-23)
Old 09-27-23, 04:41 AM
ISNEWB23
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil

Amsoil all the way. I’ve used this in a RAV4 that was used as a business fleet. It gets up to speed much easier, smooth engine and the RPMs don’t work as hard. I’m going to use this in my Lexus.
Old 09-27-23, 05:28 PM
ChineseKFC
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Platinum since new
Old 10-04-23, 08:10 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISNEWB23
Amsoil all the way. I’ve used this in a RAV4 that was used as a business fleet. It gets up to speed much easier, smooth engine and the RPMs don’t work as hard. I’m going to use this in my Lexus.
Way overpriced and not ILSAC GF-6A certified. Only "recommended". I suppose the price isn't a big deal if you actually wait 10,000 miles to change your Lexus oil, but I personally 5k is better if you own and intend to keep the vehicle.

It's also a little suspect they only sell the stuff via multi-level marketing.

Last edited by nitroracer; 10-04-23 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-04-23, 09:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
Way overpriced and not ILSAC GF-6A certified. Only "recommended". I suppose the price isn't a big deal if you actually wait 10,000 miles to change your Lexus oil, but I personally 5k is better if you own and intend to keep the vehicle.

It's also a little suspect they only sell the stuff via multi-level marketing.
What do you mean, multi-level marketing? You can order Amsoil online from their website or Amazon, and you can find it at some retail stores. I just want to fact-check this claim.
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
JNP1227 (10-04-23), LeX2K (10-04-23)
Old 10-04-23, 12:22 PM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bgross88
I rotate between Pennzoil and Mobil Full Synthetic High Mileage, whichever is on sale. My 2016 has 125K on it, and like you, I change my oil every 5K. I've had the car for 3.5 years, runs great, and doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes.
Originally Posted by BBQapple
Whatever’s on sale is what I use when I DIY

The engine will be the last thing to fail on a Toyota
Mine recently is starting to burn some oil. Probably a quart every 5k miles, more if I am in higher RPMs. My car OCI has been every 5k at Lexus. As per Lexus, this is still within "factory specifications" but to me, never burned a drop until now. I was told higher mileage 2GR-FSE start to burn oil.

Ended up buying a 3pack of 5qt Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Amazon for $98. I suspect the oil is burning due to buildup around piston rings (which surprises me considered 5k OCI). Hoping switching to different oil with additives works. If not Liqui Moly Engine Flush is on the horizon.
Old 10-17-23, 11:58 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
What do you mean, multi-level marketing? You can order Amsoil online from their website or Amazon, and you can find it at some retail stores. I just want to fact-check this claim.
The first question can be answered with a quick Google search.

As to ordering on Amazon, my query returned 17 items out of probably hundreds of Amsoil offerings if you go direct. None of the sellers were Amsoil, so not sure how much I'd trust what the third-party sellers are hocking if they even did have a decent selection.

The Amazon counterfeit business is massive, so unless it's an Amsoil storefront on Amazon, It's not going in my engine.

As to the claim I made of them not having the actual ILSAC GF-6A certification, I presume you're wisely not challenging that. Not saying this is a deal breaker outside of your vehicle's warranty, but I would strongly caution against putting non-Lexus approved oil in your car while still under warranty.

Last edited by nitroracer; 10-17-23 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-17-23, 12:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Amsoil sells direct shipping is free. I LOVE their 0W30 oil it makes winter starts even in the coldest weather trivial.
Old 10-17-23, 12:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroracer
The first question can be answered with a quick Google search.

As to ordering on Amazon, my query returned 17 items out of probably hundreds of Amsoil offerings if you go direct. None of the sellers were Amsoil, so not sure how much I'd trust what the third-party sellers are hocking if they even did have a decent selection.

The Amazon counterfeit business is massive, so unless it's an Amsoil storefront on Amazon, It's not going in my engine.

As to the claim I made of them not having the actual ILSAC GF-6A certification, I presume you're wisely not challenging that. Not saying this is a deal breaker outside of your vehicle's warranty, but I would strongly caution against putting non-Lexus approved oil in your car while still under warranty.
OK but you're saying you can't buy all of their products unless you go direct. That is not the same thing as being unable to buy any of their products outside of going direct. I don't need to be "wise" about anything. I agree with you that using oil with the proper certifications is strongly preferred.

Not sure if you typo'd your link, but it is not a Google search. It is a link to a random blog post.
Old 10-17-23, 12:59 PM
nitroracer
Intermediate

OK but you're saying you can't buy all of their products unless you go direct. That is not the same thing as being unable to buy any of their products outside of going direct. I don't need to be "wise" about anything. I agree with you that using oil with the proper certifications is strongly preferred..
Sorry, I retract my statement that you can only buy Amsoil via MLM sellers. You can also buy direct, yes. For $153 $108 before tax, I can get their premium 0w-20 for my Lexus. At that price I might as well just let Lexus do it.

Not sure if you typo'd your link, but it is not a Google search. It is a link to a random blog post
I spared you the LMGTFY link and went straight to the results of my own query.

To conclude: Overpriced, not certified, difficult to find unless you order direct and spend at least $50 to activate free shipping. The other option is go through a sus MLM re-seller.

Last edited by nitroracer; 10-17-23 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Which 0W-20 Synthetic Oil Does Everyone Use?