IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 08:20 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

From a previous post in this thread by a 2IS owner - "And it's another completely retarded omission by Lexus if the F-Sport indeed doesn't have this feature. All the supporting hardware is there. It's got the mirrors, it's got the gear selector and it's got motors in the mirror."

Some could say that people who don't own the 2014 IS post their biased disdain for the 3IS by using offensive "R-word" pejoratives that were common in less enlightened times to describe people who are handicapped and in doing so reveal more about who they are then they might have intended.

Is a Cannondale Ultegra Di2 Bike any less a riders bike because it has a place for a water bottle? Is a Schwinn a better bike because it has 10 speeds and a basket in front and the Cannondale has only 1 speed and no basket or any other "luxury" items? The Cannondale cost $3600 the Schwinn $150. How dare Cannondale cut costs!

I'd take the Cannondale over the Schwinn any day.

And you non 3IS owning people expect respect?

Last edited by Glashub; 08-07-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-07-13, 09:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Well that's why they're called options and not standard features. You add them if you want to pay for them, don't if you don't. Your manual control theory still doesn't make sense saying it a 2nd time. In fact, it sounds rathe. ridiculous for reasons already mentioned. Again, you can control them manually. I can post pictures of how to do it if you don't believe me... I assure you I have just as much manual control over my wipers that ARE rain sensing as anyone that doesn't have them.

The mere fact that SW13GS agrees with me should be enough to put this "ultimate wiper control" theory to rest, as he and I rarely agree on anything. Some could say, go out of our way to disagree.
My other idea is that it was omitted to save weight, not the individual option alone but grouped together the items such as rain sense , cooling seats, power steering column and blind spot detector were all deleted to help it save weight somewhere. After all the f sport is supposed to be a sports sedan and should be low weight.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-07-13 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-07-13, 09:48 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
From a previous post in this thread by a 2IS owner - "And it's another completely retarded omission by Lexus if the F-Sport indeed doesn't have this feature. All the supporting hardware is there. It's got the mirrors, it's got the gear selector and it's got motors in the mirror."

Some could say that people who don't own the 2014 IS post their biased disdain for the 3IS by using offensive "R-word" pejoratives that were common in less enlightened times to describe people who are handicapped and in doing so reveal more about who they are then they might have intended.

Is a Cannondale Ultegra Di2 Bike any less a riders bike because it has a place for a water bottle? Is a Schwinn a better bike because it has 10 speeds and a basket in front and the Cannondale has only 1 speed and no basket or any other "luxury" items? The Cannondale cost $3600 the Schwinn $150. How dare Cannondale cut costs!

I'd take the Cannondale over the Schwinn any day.

And you non 3IS owning people expect respect?
Some could say that. But it seems only one person here didn't recognize the "r-word" was used to merely describe a decision made by a car company and not directed at any individuals state of mind. The failure of that recognition certainly says something but nothing I didn't already know.
Old 08-07-13, 09:55 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
My other idea is that it was omitted to save weight, not the individual option alone but grouped together the items such as rain sense , cooling seats, power steering column and blind spot detector were all deleted to help it save weight somewhere. After all the f sport is supposed to be a sports sedan and should be low weight.
I'm sure Lexus has their reasons for doing what they did, I just personally don't think they are good reasons. Look at it this way, clearly there are people unsatisfied because it doesn't have what they want. Do you think there would be more or less people complaining if it DID have what they wanted? Again, I must reiterate, these are options. That means both the cost (and weight) is something the consumer can decide on.

Big, successful companies make bad decisions all the time and I think this is one of them. Microsoft did Vista, Apple came out with Apple Maps, Nintendo with their Wii-U.

Personally I think a lot of options were left out to be made available for subsequent model years to keep the vehicle current and have new features compared to the previous model.

Give me a new engine, a larger nav screen, rain sensing wipers, and ventilated seats and I'd buy the car. Note that 2 of these options already exist, they're just not being made available, so I'm really only asking for 2 "NEW" features.

Last edited by Ramon; 08-07-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-07-13, 11:24 PM
driven5373
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure Lexus has their reasons for doing what they did, I just personally don't think they are good reasons. Look at it this way, clearly there are people unsatisfied because it doesn't have what they want. Do you think there would be more or less people complaining if it DID have what they wanted? Again, I must reiterate, these are options. That means both the cost (and weight) is something the consumer can decide on.

Big, successful companies make bad decisions all the time and I think this is one of them. Microsoft did Vista, Apple came out with Apple Maps, Nintendo with their Wii-U.

Personally I think a lot of options were left out to be made available for subsequent model years to keep the vehicle current and have new features compared to the previous model.

Give me a new engine, a larger nav screen, rain sensing wipers, and ventilated seats and I'd buy the car. Note that 2 of these options already exist, they're just not being made available, so I'm really only asking for 2 "NEW" features.
How hard can it be to flip the switch to turn on the wipers when it starts to rain? It is this crazy option creep which has inflated car prices so much. It is also one of the things that annoys me to no end with BMW, with their ludicrous option packages.
Old 08-08-13, 12:43 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by driven5373
How hard can it be to flip the switch to turn on the wipers when it starts to rain? It is this crazy option creep which has inflated car prices so much. It is also one of the things that annoys me to no end with BMW, with their ludicrous option packages.
Rain sensor is a great feature, I think that all new cars should have it as a standard equipment. Just like power windows. Would you like to have manual windows?
Old 08-08-13, 12:54 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by driven5373
Apparently, not as hard as people grasping the concept of options. Turing them on is easy. Constantly adjusting their speed for changing conditions is a nuisance that shouldn't exist in this segment if the consumer doesn't want it to exist.

I didn't think this was going to be necessary but there appears to be confusion on what the term option means so...

op·tion
/ˈäpSHən/

Noun
A thing that is or may be chosen.

Synonyms
choice - selection - pick - alternative - election

What that means is if you don't like the price of the vehicle with options, you have the choice of not equipping your vehicle as such. But of course... How dare BMW give you choices! Shame on them right?
Old 08-08-13, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Really? You know this? You have proof? It's cost cutting? For what reason? So they can lose market share i.e. those people who need rain sensing windshield wipers, etc.? Help me to understand why in an extremely competitive environment Lexus would pull a fast one and cut cost.
Because its logical. In a luxury vehicle more features=better. They wanted to bring the car in at a certain price for the US market and some things needed to go. In other markets its less of an issue Its the same thing on the 4GS. Why doesn't it have a power trunk and power mirrors when the 3GS had them and the 4GS does in other markets? Cost cutting. Why does the US 3IS F Sport not have ventillated seats, memory seats, or auto wipers when that car has those features in other markets? Cost cutting. Why no USB on the US IS? Cost cutting...they needed to reduce the number of colors. Less colors produced on the same model = cheaper production.

Cost cutting is a reality of product production everywhere. The IS is an entry level car and its built to a price. Sitting in the IS, cost cutting is apparent. Its not egregious like it is in the 6ES but its there. Why doesn't every car have leather everywhere? Cost cutting. Why doesn't every car have incredible inch thick carpeting? Cost cutting. When you sit out to produce something you have a budget, if you want to do something in one area, it may take away from other areas.

The M5 has automatic wipers...you don't have to sacrifice features like auto wipers or ventilated seats to have a "driver focused" car. If Lexus really thinks that...they think its the case in the US but not in other countries?!?

I'm a big fan of the 3IS, and I have stuck up for it at every opportunity, but you have to be objective and call a spade a spade. You can say these features don't matter to you, thats fine. But they WERE omitted from the IS to save cost...if you want those features and still want the attributes of the F-Sport...you have to look elsewhere because of Lexus' packaging decision. Thats just a fact.

The mere fact that SW13GS agrees with me should be enough to put this "ultimate wiper control" theory to rest, as he and I rarely agree on anything. Some could say, go out of our way to disagree.
This is for sure! haha

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-08-13 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-08-13, 08:39 AM
jmac350
Driver School Candidate

I agree with Ramon. It is exactly what they are going to do. You know that the body of the 3IS is not going to change much over the five, six or seven years. It will be the options that they sprinkle in every model year that will entice buyers to keep looking at this car. Yes, the new car looks good, but as a current 2008 IS350 owner, I am not willing to give up some of my options I have on my car just so I can say look what I got. I will wait for next year and see what the options look like. Give me at least the driver's seat that has memory on the FSport and that will get the conversation started.
Old 08-08-13, 08:56 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmac350

I agree with Ramon. It is exactly what they are going to do. You know that the body of the 3IS is not going to change much over the five, six or seven years. It will be the options that they sprinkle in every model year that will entice buyers to keep looking at this car. Yes, the new car looks good, but as a current 2008 IS350 owner, I am not willing to give up some of my options I have on my car just so I can say look what I got. I will wait for next year and see what the options look like. Give me at least the driver's seat that has memory on the FSport and that will get the conversation started.
That would be leather F Sport seats with memory+heated+ventilation which already exist in some other countries which has a much higher MSRP.
Old 08-08-13, 09:30 AM
IanP
Rookie

Something is going on with the rain sensors, though.

Here in the UK, my wife's Q3 base came with rain sensors. Yet a Lexus IS base model here doesn't - even though Lexus was once famed for giving you all the kit!

It is certainly a risk.
Old 08-08-13, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Because its logical. In a luxury vehicle more features=better. They wanted to bring the car in at a certain price for the US market and some things needed to go. In other markets its less of an issue Its the same thing on the 4GS. Why doesn't it have a power trunk and power mirrors when the 3GS had them and the 4GS does in other markets? Cost cutting. Why does the US 3IS F Sport not have ventillated seats, memory seats, or auto wipers when that car has those features in other markets? Cost cutting. Why no USB on the US IS? Cost cutting...they needed to reduce the number of colors. Less colors produced on the same model = cheaper production.

Cost cutting is a reality of product production everywhere. The IS is an entry level car and its built to a price. Sitting in the IS, cost cutting is apparent. Its not egregious like it is in the 6ES but its there. Why doesn't every car have leather everywhere? Cost cutting. Why doesn't every car have incredible inch thick carpeting? Cost cutting. When you sit out to produce something you have a budget, if you want to do something in one area, it may take away from other areas.

The M5 has automatic wipers...you don't have to sacrifice features like auto wipers or ventilated seats to have a "driver focused" car. If Lexus really thinks that...they think its the case in the US but not in other countries?!?

I'm a big fan of the 3IS, and I have stuck up for it at every opportunity, but you have to be objective and call a spade a spade. You can say these features don't matter to you, thats fine. But they WERE omitted from the IS to save cost...if you want those features and still want the attributes of the F-Sport...you have to look elsewhere because of Lexus' packaging decision. Thats just a fact.

This is for sure! haha
I don't think it is cost cutting at all, removing rear door courtesy lamps or plastic hinge covers is cost cutting. The f sport is supposed to be a "drivers" car and the car should also be lighter in weight. Having cooling seats, power steering column, rear view mirror auto all add weight when lumped together.

I also hear countless auto journalists hate on nanny stuff like lane departure or blind spot stuff on drivers cars.

The f sport is not the luxury version of this car it is the sport edition. I dont see what the big deal is
Old 08-08-13, 01:12 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

You really need to drop the drivers car bit. Why does it have cruise control then? Everything that's being done is being done in the name of cost cutting or profit maximizing.

How likely is it for someone who leases a 3IS for 2 or 3 years to lease another one that has no new features? How likely is it that they'd lease another one WITH new features? It has nothing to do with "drivers car" or "ultimate wiper control" or anything like that.

Last edited by Ramon; 08-08-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-08-13, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You really need to drop the drivers car bit. Why does it have cruise control then? Everything that's being done is being done in the name of cost cutting or profit maximizing.

How likely is it for someone who leases a 3IS for 2 or 3 years to lease another one that has no new features? How likely is it that they'd lease another one WITH new features? It has nothing to do with "drivers car" or "ultimate wiper control" or anything like that.
That is a bad example. A better one would be, the IS does not have radar cruise for the same reason that it does not have rain sense. It is to save weight. What don't you understand.
Old 08-08-13, 01:28 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That is a bad example. A better one would be, the IS does not have radar cruise for the same reason that it does not have rain sense. It is to save weight. What don't you understand.
How much weight can you save by removing rain sensors and radar cruise? Does it matter?

Quick Reply: My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)