IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)

Old 07-30-13, 08:28 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)

Hi everyone!

Right now I currently own an Infiniti G37s, but the lease on it is running out and so I've been going around doing a bunch of research and test driving the latest competition out there. I've tested the ATS 3.6 and the 335i M Sport, but now the IS350 seems to be causing a lot of ruckus in the Infiniti world, so I figured I'd get my hands on one to see what the fuss was about.

So earlier today I spent around 35-45 minutes in a Matador Red Mica F-Sport RWD with Black NuLuxe with Matte Black trim. The price was quoted in the high $47k's which was incentivized $750 down from the low $48k's.

Key Features:
F Sport Package with Exclusive Adaptive Variable Suspension
Navigation Package
Mark Levinson Sound System
Variable Gear Steering Ratio

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-drsqbrd.jpg

Pros:
-Lexus gets a lot of cred from me specifically on how they've decided to design this car. It's aggressive and strange--without being downright hard on the eyes. Unlike some cars that have difficulty matching their sporty intentions going from the exterior to the interior, the IS350 manages to carry its unorthodox and sporty appearance through into the cabin. The cockpit-like cabin is a snug, quite high, mechanical-like, and even a bit busy, but I think works for the most part. It's a bold design that not everyone will like, but it is the quality and the craftsmanship and the consistency that I took note of the most.

-I spent a good 5-10 minutes sitting with the salesperson talking about the cabin and the instrument cluster, which is definitely a bragworthy component of an already technologically interesting car. The gauges are highly customizable and detailed--all of the controls in general are easy to understand and use. Some people have complaints about the size of the main menu in the car, but I thought it was just fine. I probably would've preferred that it was another 1.5" closer to the driver, but the size itself seemed standard.

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-32qso8c.jpg

-There were a few small touches that I liked. I liked the keyless entry access on the door handles that only requires a touch of the handle for unlocking instead of the press of a button, which is now becoming standard for cars in this class (The Q50 and BMW also has this feature). I also liked the bright front daytime running lights despite their controversial design. I liked the signature F-Sport high bolstered seats. Even though the seating material isn't the kind of leather material that we're used to seeing in this segment, I never gave it a second look. I thought they looked good and felt comfortable and supportive. I also appreciated that the F-Sport badging on the exterior is subtle and minimal.

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-l7ox6tk.jpg

-I took the car out of an open parking lot while I was ked through a lot of different areas of the more "curvy" areas in Tucson and it didn't take long to see why Car and Driver picked the IS350 over the 335i M Sport and the ATS 3.6. For my money--from a performance standpoint, the IS350 F-Sport is probably the most impressive car I've driven. Not from a blistering speed standpoint, but from the way it's able to do every thing so well. Whether in a straight line or in a curve, the IS350 is able to adapt to whatever speed, turn, or slope you throw at it. The adaptive suspension and steering in the IS350 provides excellent and precise control and road feedback with the car. Wherever you point it, it just goes there with no fuss out of the transmission or the tires whatsoever.

-The perforated steering wheel also gives a really good amount of control and grip on the wheel and is actually pleasing to touch. The brakes are outstanding as well and the turning radius is tight and sharp. The downshift rev-matching and eight-speed transmission feels spot-on, especially while in DS+ mode. I almost never felt like the car was in the wrong gear. It made manual shifting with paddle shifters just that more enjoyable.

- The Mark Levinson 15-speaker, 800+ watt system doesn't provide a whole lot of customizable settings or level adjustments other than the basics. However what it does provide is a really deep, crisp, and controlled sound. It took the hardest bass and treble of the songs I brought with me on my personal audio test CD that I always carry with me to test drives! ( ). It definitely handled itself better than the current system in my G37. I also was able to integrate my iPod with the IS350 with no issues whatsoever.

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-4r7l8xl.jpg

-I'm not sure if this is a Pro or not, but I do appreciate that the IS350 has a Snow mode. Sure Snow modes are becoming more of a standard on most RWD-based performance cars, but I think having this can go a long way in having a way to better deal with various different driving situations.

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-mxjfd35.jpg

Cons:
-Some of the issues with the car stems from how Lexus has decided to differentiate the F-Sport from the other trims in the IS350. For example, if you want the F-Sport, you have to give up the option of memory seating, ventilated seats, rain-sensing wipers, and lane departure warning--Better look elsewhere if you want the F-Sport. Even on the non F-Sports, there is no heads-up display feature or around view monitor technologies.

-I really wish this car had memory seating/steering wheel positioning because the roof line of this car can be very tight and make entry/exit a little bit of a nuisance. It's a smaller car than the G37 for sure, but at least if there was a memory function, I'd be able to get myself into the car without bumping my knees into the wheel or doing the funky chicken trying to get into the car from where I last had it positioned for my driving style. This is such a huge selling point for me as I've really gotten used to how much of an advantage this can be for those that like their steering wheels low and close while driving or may need some additional leg room when they're sitting.

-Another nitpick I had is how little storage space the IS350 has. The center console is quite narrow and since it shares the same horizontal space as the cupholders, there's not a whole lot of space to put anything in there other than your iPod.

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-eeyjpht.jpg

-The signature mouse-controlled infotainment menu system is a learning curve and a half. Being able to navigate the menus entirely via the mouse while driving is not the most intuitive in the world, but it's not that the system is necessarily bad. In comparison to the Q50, it does seem to be less intuitive and a bit more cluttered than InTouch. I didn't mess around with it as much as I wanted this time but I'm sure it'll take several months to truly master the settings and controls. At least most of all of the important features are easily controlled through physical buttons on the console or the steering wheel or through voice-navigation. I just wish Lexus would replace the mouse with at least a **** like everyone else. This could heavily cut down on acclimation time.

-This is a personal preference nitpick of mine, but I've never been a fan of carbon fiber trim. This car doesn't provide the option of any other kind of trim such as wood or aluminum, which is a shame. So, I can't say whether or not the silver carbon fiber trim just didn't look good or it was of poor quality (or a combination of both), but either way it's never been my cup of tea. It's not by any means a dealbreaker, but I would personally prefer a clean aluminum trim over this and probably even a ash wood grain over the aluminum if it were offered.

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-ij3pzgu.jpg

Final results:

Looks: 8/10 (Say what you will about this car--this is a head turner for sure. Good or bad, the car invokes a reaction and unique style. The interior might be less premium-feeling and too mechanical for some, but I find it as an interesting middleground that wants to focus on sportiness without feeling too stale.)

Performance: 10/10 (It's not the greatest at any one thing, but it's soo good at everything. It really handles like a sports car. With its well balanced chassis, smooth 8-speed transmission, quick shifting, and precise steering, it's probably the most well rounded performer I've driven.)

Personal Practicality: 7.75/10 (The IS350 is light and tossable but the interior dimensions of the car are a little bit tighter than the G37. There are some ergonomic nitpicks and the fuel economy could be better but far from terrible.)

Options/Tech: 6.75/10 I'm really digging the Lexus apps and the audio system. The controls and responses are quick and simple, and the instrument cluster is a huge selling point. However, there are a lot of things that this car is still missing that's holding it back. I'm still not a fan of the mouse controller for navigating the menus.)

Overall: 8.1/10

My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)-xnzncqx.jpg

Bottom Line: The Lexus IS350 is a performance sedan, but not a driver's car. Unlike a BMW 335i, this car has found the better balance of a solid chassis, dead-on steering, power, and road feel. I like its styling and the technology is interesting, yet flawed. Where I think it really falls short in is providing the additional features that the competition offers.

I understand that Lexus wants the F-Sport to be primarily for those looking for performance over luxury, but there are several other cars out there that are offering the mix of both. If Lexus can find a way to mitigate some of these additional Luxury and Technology features into the F-Sport model at least with the option, Lexus will truly have a complete driver's car on their hands.

Last edited by SimTide985; 08-01-13 at 02:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lee90s (01-03-23)
Old 07-30-13, 08:53 PM
pianospike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review! Thanks so much for taking the time to put that together.
Old 07-30-13, 09:06 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by pianospike
Great review! Thanks so much for taking the time to put that together.
Thanks.

I've been writing reviews like this for a very long time.

I can get pretty enthusiastic about the things I review and I know that it's something that if it were me, I'd enjoy reading to!

I am by no means a professional writer or reviewer, but I do try my best when I can.

Last edited by SimTide985; 07-30-13 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 09:18 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Nice review, I'm in full agreement with you on the lack of options for the F-Sport. Rain sensing wipers was the biggest deal breaker for me, but so were the lack of ventilated seats and no option for wood trim. I keep reading the year 2016 when Lexus will refresh their engine line up. Hopefully with that comes a larger array of option packages for the F-Sport. (crossing fingers)
Old 07-30-13, 10:04 PM
SimTide985
Driver

I mean, it's tricky because for me, if it were between the Q50 and the F-Sport, it's such a hard situation because the Q50 is the pricier car, but that's because it has a few more features that the IS350 doesn't. On the other hand, I believe the IS350 is the better performance car overall...and it is a Lexus.

I guess time will tell once the Q50 is out for official release next week.
Old 07-30-13, 10:08 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Very thorough and enjoyable review. I'd have to agree with just about everything you listed. One thing I feel the 3IS lost was the feeling of luxury inside. Similar complaint with the 1IS.

On a side note, I'm surprise your dealer threw down a bulky and slippery "floormat," after everything Lexus and Toyota just went through. Did they not learn anything? Also, the car looks a bit dirty for making an impression.
Old 07-30-13, 10:16 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
On a side note, I'm surprise your dealer threw down a bulky and slippery "floormat," after everything Lexus and Toyota just went through. Did they not learn anything? Also, the car looks a bit dirty for making an impression.
I didn't think it was that dirty at all.

However, it was a very popular car for test driving as it is one of the few F-Sports that they currently have in Tucson (which is a naturally high dust city)

Yeah, a lot of people have complained about the car's lack of "premium" feel compared to some of the competition. I think it really depends on the driver's sensibilities and expectations of the car. As I mentioned, I noticed the car's consistency in its sport-centered intentions moreso than the feeling of luxury.

It's a complaint I have with the ATS and the Q50 quite honestly. I think the IS350 fits right in the middle where I think the BMW 3-Series sport and M-sport line interiors look a bit too cold and stale and I thought the ATS interior looked a tad bit too gaudy and "chromey"

Last edited by SimTide985; 07-30-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 10:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
its just a protection over floormat so it doesnt get dirty... very common.
Old 07-30-13, 10:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Good review.

I would take performance/sportiness over all-out luxury any day of the week.

I think IS350 F-sport is a practical sports car first and a luxury car second while a GS is a luxury cruiser first and a performance/sporty car second.
Old 07-30-13, 10:46 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

i don't know how this thing drives, but i test drove '14 awd is350 past monday and all i can say is very slow and delays on transmission shifting, after when i set in my 08 is350 it felt like a bullet)) .
Old 07-30-13, 11:05 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by Herofmine
i don't know how this thing drives, but i test drove '14 awd is350 past monday and all i can say is very slow and delays on transmission shifting, after when i set in my 08 is350 it felt like a bullet)) .
Was it an F-Sport? Did you try it in DS+? You ever try manual shifting?

Also, since it is an AWD, it has a six-speed transmission which probably would directly affect transmission shifting. The RWD versions have an eight-speed transmission.

Last edited by SimTide985; 07-30-13 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 06:01 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

SimTide985 I just read through your thread on the Q50 forum. You do a great job of being impartial. In fact practically the whole darn Q50 forum seems civil, impartial, and open minded in it's discussions. I've read a number of threads there. Little or no fanboyism and little or no bashing. People writing sometimes several paragraphs about why they like or don't like.

Since it seems I'm the first to post here who actually owns the IS350 Fsport and as a person who has owned a huge number of cars over the years including a tech heavy car prior to this one -- I decided that at the end of the day -- no matter the luxury shortcomings -- it's all about the driving experience.

Lane departure, radar cruise, ventilated seats -- you name it -- my last car probably had it -- but it was in no way as much fun to drive as the IS. I realized while owning my other car that while all of the tech was interesting -- I didn't use it all that much -- but I was always driving the car. The ride/handling is the #1 virtue a car is supposed to have imo.
Old 07-31-13, 07:07 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Herofmine
You are completely ignoring the fact that you were driving an AWD, which is over 300 lbs heavier than the RWD. Secondly, the 6 speed auto in the AWD is taller gearing than the previous generation 6 speed transmission. The RWD comes with the 8 speed automatic.

Case in point, despite what the "butt dynos" say, I am sure the 3IS 350 RWD is as fast, if not faster than the 2IS 350 RWD in a head to head drag race. It is just geared differently so it feels very different while accelerating.
Old 07-31-13, 08:42 AM
pianospike
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
SimTide985 I just read through your thread on the Q50 forum. You do a great job of being impartial. In fact practically the whole darn Q50 forum seems civil, impartial, and open minded in it's discussions. I've read a number of threads there. Little or no fanboyism and little or no bashing. People writing sometimes several paragraphs about why they like or don't like.

Since it seems I'm the first to post here who actually owns the IS350 Fsport and as a person who has owned a huge number of cars over the years including a tech heavy car prior to this one -- I decided that at the end of the day -- no matter the luxury shortcomings -- it's all about the driving experience.

Lane departure, radar cruise, ventilated seats -- you name it -- my last car probably had it -- but it was in no way as much fun to drive as the IS. I realized while owning my other car that while all of the tech was interesting -- I didn't use it all that much -- but I was always driving the car. The ride/handling is the #1 virtue a car is supposed to have imo.
These thoughts regarding all the luxury bells and whistles echo my sentiments exactly. Just not that important to me, whereas ride/handling is everything. That said, I have been unable to get my car as yet (neb grey/red IS350 F sport) unless I'm willing to forego Mark Levinson, and even though I'm not an audiophile, I feel like I shouldn't forego that particular luxury option.
Old 07-31-13, 09:25 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

pianospike - that's exactly the combo I got. They aren't shipping them with ML anymore? I have heard the Lexus radio in a 2IS and it's okay BUT the ML is another level -- the best OEM I've heard in a car. For the sake of context my last three cars have had the highly regarded ELS (Acura) and Lexicon (Genesis).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My review of the 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (short test drive)