IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 F vs Benz CLA45 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 01:53 PM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 F vs Benz CLA45 AMG

I've been cross shopping these two cars. Comparing specs. They're similar in the fact that both companies seem to be aiming for the same target market (Gen Y). They're both also what some would say "polarizing" by design.

We all are familiar with the 350's specs so I'll skip it. I'll just touch on a couple of points about the Benz. It's equipped with a 4-cyl turbocharged motor 360hp, 450lb of torque. 0-60 in 4.6. It's an entry level AMG priced slightly above a fully loaded 350 F. Somewhere around $55k. Due in November.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci.../index_eng.php

Just wondering folks here opinions, thoughts, knowledge, experience...please share.
Old 07-25-13, 02:00 PM
chowner
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was exactly in the same spot as you. But I opted for Lexus IS 350 F sport vs cla 45 amg for the following reasons.

1. Cheap looking interior for AMG
2. The rear legroom and headroom in CLA is ridiculous. Should have just made it a 2 door vehicle instead of a 4 door sedan.

I have to give to mercedes that their design is awesome, but the interior flaws doesnt do it for me. If I'm getting a 4 door, I would rather have someone sit comfortably in the back rather than them tilting their head to make them fit and also not to mention the legroom.
Old 07-25-13, 03:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chowner
I was exactly in the same spot as you. But I opted for Lexus IS 350 F sport vs cla 45 amg for the following reasons.

2. The rear legroom and headroom in CLA is ridiculous. Should have just made it a 2 door vehicle instead of a 4 door sedan.
I have to give to mercedes that their design is awesome, but the interior flaws doesnt do it for me. If I'm getting a 4 door, I would rather have someone sit comfortably in the back rather than them tilting their head to make them fit and also not to mention the legroom.
Disagree. It's a four door coupe
Old 07-25-13, 04:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by chowner

Ditto + MB is overly presumptuous IMO.
Old 07-25-13, 05:00 PM
D&G
Pole Position

If price was not an issue, it is a no brainer for me to go with the CLA 45 AMG. Also, don't rule out the new Audi S3 that will be coming early next year and the price point should be in the IS350 ball park.
Old 07-25-13, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Brklyn
I've been cross shopping these two cars. Comparing specs. They're similar in the fact that both companies seem to be aiming for the same target market (Gen Y). They're both also what some would say "polarizing" by design.

We all are familiar with the 350's specs so I'll skip it. I'll just touch on a couple of points about the Benz. It's equipped with a 4-cyl turbocharged motor 360hp, 450lb of torque. 0-60 in 4.6. It's an entry level AMG priced slightly above a fully loaded 350 F. Somewhere around $55k. Due in November.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/webspeci.../index_eng.php

Just wondering folks here opinions, thoughts, knowledge, experience...please share.
CLA is basically CT-F... it is based on cheaper fwd platform, so thats why you notice what you notice... cheaper interior and small back space.

it looks great though so I bet many will over-look that fact.
Old 07-25-13, 08:25 PM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the new CLA exterior. i hate the interior but i would choose the CLA over the Lexus but only if i were to lease both car. i can't stand purchasing a benz.
Old 07-25-13, 09:02 PM
pinipig523
Rookie

I think the CLA appeals to a certain crowd, usually younger, w/o kids, 2 people (driver and gf)... use the back seats as extra storage for everyday things like a sport coat or shoes for the gym... occasionally get someone in there and maybe also use it to lower the insurance cost.

The engine in the CLA 45AMG is a STUNNER. It will blow you away coming from a 350F.

For those who are complaining of the size, then step up to the C or E class.

But yea, the CLA45 will be a great driver's car.
Old 07-26-13, 03:21 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wondering, what car do you have now?

Because if you have a lexus, the CLA is going to feel extremely cheap. Everything below the steering wheel is rock hard plastic, the switches for the climate control are metal coated plastic, the cool looking "metallic" vents are also plastic, the navigation module looks like a tomtom, the centre console feels like its from a KIA and its more cramped than a 2nd Gen IS. Oh and reliability sucks.

Apart from that, its a nice car
The following users liked this post:
BrianDCIS (07-25-23)
Old 07-26-13, 06:00 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

Currently I own a 2011 VW GTI. Previous rides were 2003 Infiniti G35c, 2006 Lexus GS430, 2008 BMW 335ic.
Old 07-29-13, 09:24 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No experience with infiniti but the materials in the Merc CLA are definitely sub par compared to the Lexus you had and also the BMW as well as the new IS. Im sure youll get into the CLA and think the materials are worse than the GOLF GTI. Because frankly, the materials used by VW are actually very good

And bear in mind, the CLA suspension is ROCK hard, especially on the AMG model. Not a right stunner when it comes to the ride.
Old 07-29-13, 09:54 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Hoovey2411its a 4 dr coupe, and its sucks it didnt come in RWD but thumbs up for the styling....
Old 07-29-13, 09:56 AM
Fsportlex
Driver

450 torque??? no way ....355 horsepower, 332 lb-ft of torque, must be a typ0 lol....its a very fast car btw for a 4 clylinder which is impressive....from what my friend that works for lexus is saying ....is the new is's in 2016 are going to be turbo's as well...just a little inside info lol
Old 07-29-13, 10:11 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

I have to agree about the Navi. It does look like a basic TomTom unit. Interior is no way as impressive as the new IS F Sport.
Old 07-29-13, 10:14 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

I also wonder about the durability/reliability of small engines that push hard (like my modded VW). A 4-cyl with 300hp is working harder to deliver that power than a 6-cyl.

My current and last car were Turbos. I prefer naturally aspirated motors that deliver the power on demand. As opposed to the lag time waiting for a turbo to spool up.

Quick Reply: IS 350 F vs Benz CLA45 AMG