IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 F vs Benz CLA45 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 03:36 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ very good point. Naturally aspirated engines are in fact more reliable than turbo's mainly because of what you have mentioned
Old 07-29-13, 07:29 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
^^ very good point. Naturally aspirated engines are in fact more reliable than turbo's mainly because of what you have mentioned
If the block was designed to be forced induced right from the get go, there should be no issue. The internals should have been specced right for a turbo.
Old 07-29-13, 08:15 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Honestly I can't see this motor lasting longer than 50k miles with having turbo lag/leak issues. Do u know how much work it's going to be under to produce that kind of power especially if the use ceramics in the turbo build...and then interior wise it's just horrible IMO so the only thing I do like about the Benz in the exterior
Old 07-30-13, 12:50 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have choosed A45 AMG instead. It seems a really cool little car! I read somewhere that in sport mode, the most power is send to the rear wheels.
Old 07-30-13, 02:30 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

This is not true. Power is sent to the back wheels but never more than 50 percent. Hence it understeers like a vauxhall astra
Old 07-30-13, 02:40 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Hence it understeers like a vauxhall astra
Say what? Have you seens these reviews?

If Chris Harris says its good. I belive him.

Old 07-30-13, 07:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Say what? Have you seens these reviews?

If Chris Harris says its good. I belive him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOA5YN6ryz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pix2MEGhhE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCoWi_wU-oM
Chris harris is a german car fanboy. He exaggerates everything in a german car. He somehow thinks the Lexus ISF is rubbish so that pretty much sums it up
Old 07-30-13, 08:03 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Chris harris is a german car fanboy. He exaggerates everything in a german car. He somehow thinks the Lexus ISF is rubbish so that pretty much sums it up
Hahaha....ok, Lexus is best in the world. Happy now?
Old 07-30-13, 03:48 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Hahaha....ok, Lexus is best in the world. Happy now?
HAHA, im not saying german cars are rubbish, majority of my cars have been german and have a Merc C Class at the moment also. I think Mercedes are pricing their vehicles higher while making the materials used cheaper. Cost cutting so to speak.

The Lexus IS feels a lot more upmarket and is also styled better
Old 07-30-13, 08:23 PM
SimTide985
Driver

I like everything about the CLA45 AMG, even the interior.

My issue is that it's just too small for me.
Old 07-31-13, 12:07 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

HAHA, im not saying german cars are rubbish, majority of my cars have been german and have a Merc C Class at the moment also. I think Mercedes are pricing their vehicles higher while making the materials used cheaper. Cost cutting so to speak.

The Lexus IS feels a lot more upmarket and is also styled better
I just think your fanboy talk is childish. Chris is one of the best car journalist in the world.

I know how the interior feels like in the Mercs. It's not bad at all. Plus you don't buy an A45 or CLA45 AMG for it's interior quality, not me anyway. It has everything else, is a little beast of a car.
Old 07-31-13, 02:14 AM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i'd pick the CLA AMG. because the power from that little engine is just scary

but, really, it depends on what are you looking for in the market.

a pure fun car:
- handling
- acceleration (4.5s......)

or a usable car. that said the IS350 is still a fun car.
- proper back seats
- comfort
Old 07-31-13, 03:46 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

I just think your fanboy talk is childish. Chris is one of the best car journalist in the world.

I know how the interior feels like in the Mercs. It's not bad at all. Plus you don't buy an A45 or CLA45 AMG for it's interior quality, not me anyway. It has everything else, is a little beast of a car.
Childish? I own a damn mercedes!? Ive only had 2 Lexus's and owned an S5, F10 M5, C220 CDI Sport and a 320d. It probably doesnt feel bad to you because you have a 2nd Gen IS which Chris himself said the interior looks horrible and isnt up to par, even though the materials are high quality.

Every reviewer has criticised the mercedes A class and CLA for the CHEAP materials used! Autoexpress (german car fanboys) as well as Carbuyer's Matt, who is the best in depth car reviewer as well as parkers, and honest john have said the interior is cheap. Even the leather in mercedes cars feels hard. Audi, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, all better than Mercedes. Id put Mercedes on par with VW. People only go for Mercedes for their history and the damn star on the grill.

Damn it, the CLA doesnt even sound like an AMG should. Why didnt they just stick the damn 5.5 litre in

Last edited by rayaans; 07-31-13 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 06:03 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

You are drifting away a little bit. I'm not focusing on the interior quality, you did. It is a big deal to you.

I'm just responding on your Hence it understeers like a vauxhall astra comment. Which I don't think it is true.

If I buy a A45/CLA45, the interior quality and practicality will not be the main reason of the purchase.

And what a terrible suggestion to drop a big heavy 5.5 V8 in that little car.
Old 07-31-13, 06:22 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Childish? I own a damn mercedes!? Ive only had 2 Lexus's and owned an S5, F10 M5, C220 CDI Sport and a 320d. It probably doesnt feel bad to you because you have a 2nd Gen IS which Chris himself said the interior looks horrible and isnt up to par, even though the materials are high quality.

Every reviewer has criticised the mercedes A class and CLA for the CHEAP materials used! Autoexpress (german car fanboys) as well as Carbuyer's Matt, who is the best in depth car reviewer as well as parkers, and honest john have said the interior is cheap. Even the leather in mercedes cars feels hard. Audi, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, all better than Mercedes. Id put Mercedes on par with VW. People only go for Mercedes for their history and the damn star on the grill.

Damn it, the CLA doesnt even sound like an AMG should. Why didnt they just stick the damn 5.5 litre in
Statements like putting a MB on par with a VW is just nonsense (unless that VW is Audi). My GL450 is about as quality as any SUV ever made. From fiber optics, to a fully stitched dash board, to safety superior to Volvo. Granted, the GL is no CLA-class, but every MB I've ever driven has been far from cheap. Yes, I agree, the CLA is not the most luxurious, but the compromise in creature comforts was known up front. Thus- the low price barrier into an AMG. I personally hate 4cyl engine sounds, except the STi's, so I'd take an M3 over the A45, as they are somewhat similarly priced.

Quick Reply: IS 350 F vs Benz CLA45 AMG