IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus IS350 Beats 2014 BMW 335i...Again

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 09:12 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm aware of the Edmund's review and I've read the online text version of the comparison as well.

Careful parsing of the comparison will show that the 3 series STILL had the most sloppy handling but came out ahead due to its comfort, space and powertrain.

I guess the take home message is :

If you want a RWD version of the Camry, get the new 3 series.
Old 07-26-13, 10:37 PM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Natnut,

Looks like it. Mind you, sloppy handling isn't too bad a thing when the relative standards are so high. As for the Camry, well that's no shame as it has evolved to become a really good car; particularly the hybrid powertrain which 'feels' more responsive than the IS300h I drove.
Old 07-26-13, 10:39 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I am genuinely sad at how low BMW has fallen.

BMW used to win comparisons NOT because it was the fastest accelerating car, NOT because it was the grippiest car, NOT because it was the most spacious car but BECAUSE of its legendary "feel" and driving engagement.

Number crunching and splitting hairs over a few fractions of lap times, skidpad G's, 0-60, 1/4 mile trap speeds was best left to the losers in Lexus/Infiniti/Audi/Mercedes.

BMW drivers KNEW they had the most connected, most fun to drive car in the market. The Proof, as they say, was in the pudding : just get behind the wheel of a BMW and let the driving experience speak for itself.

Now?

Review after review lambast the BMW for abandoning its enthusiast roots in order to chase market share, with the nett result of BMWs losing their famed road-driver-car connectedness. And BMW fans are forced to resort to arguments like 0-60, torque, lap times and skidpad to prop up their increasingly hollow claim of being "drivers' cars".

Worse when they start talking about "curb appeal" and "practicality" as daily-drivers in order to shore up the F30/F10 series of sedans.

Let us all take a moment of silence and mark a watershed point : when BMW died as an enthusiast icon and was reborn as a masterpiece in mass-marketing.

Bavarian Marketing Works indeed.
well said sir, well said
Old 07-27-13, 12:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The two test drivers from Everydaycar.com were genuinely expert car journos.
They gave a more thorough review with lots of details that went for longer than 27 minutes, and you can tell from what they say and how they say it, that they are true car enthusiasts.

The test review from Edmunds is directed at the mass public.
The review only went for 4'59", and you can tell from the language used, that they are the mass public themselves.

Afterall, the 328i is the best selling in this segment to the mass public...
Old 07-29-13, 07:36 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Why don't you bring some solid track numbers since your the BMW owner stating the BMW is superior? Educate us with the proof!
I'm not stating anything yet, unlike all the bmw bashers in this thread. I'm just saying that I'm holding my horses to make any conclusions till I see solid proof numbers from the track. Until today BMW proved ON THE TRACK to be the best handler. Lexus has not proved anything on the track yet. That's why I'm saying before unarguably stating that Lexus is now superior in handling - bring the track proof...
Old 11-04-13, 08:54 AM
Geespec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiois350
How come this IS has one projector headlight? And the one at my local dealer has two projectors headlight?
Has this question been answered yet? I'm curious too.
Old 11-04-13, 09:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Geespec
Has this question been answered yet? I'm curious too.
The two projector headlight is with the LED headlights option. One projector is without.
Old 11-04-13, 09:38 AM
Geespec
Driver School Candidate

I thought all f-sports had the led headlights?
Old 11-04-13, 09:46 AM
abcsoup
Driver

I thought all f-sports had the led headlights?
The production models do, as it's included in the F-Sport package. However, the one being tested is likely a pre-production model (video was posted in May) given to the press, and I believe those F-Sports came with the HIDs.
Old 11-04-13, 01:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
3 series rules this segment in terms of sales. Previous generation was the E90/E92.
I have not seen any dip in sales #s, please provide some proof.
Unlike Lexus - BMW has strong demand around the world not just US for the 3 series. If sales were down, it was more of an inventory problem than anything else with the F30 launch.

Im not a big fan of the F30 - i hate the new option lines, and cheaper build quality.
Having said that the 328 and 335 powertrains and tech options (nav / idrive) are the best in class.

So 3 series is still a great choice for certain people.
You can lease a 180hp 320 for $279-$299 a month. I would hope it rules in sales. Let's not act like its just in demand to be in demand, they have a super entry level car that has created tons of new volume to the brand. And before you jump down my throat I think its rather genius.
Old 11-04-13, 01:27 PM
Geespec
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, what is the performance (lumen?) difference between the hids and leds? I remember not too long ago when hids were all the hype.
Old 11-04-13, 01:57 PM
js1011
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What one article says - the other states the opposite. It's an exhausting revolving door. You drive what you think is the best - period. In this case... for myself - IS 350 F Sport.

However, if I wanted something faster, but still staying on the luxury line M3 all of the way.
Old 11-04-13, 04:51 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, what is the performance (lumen?) difference between the hids and leds? I remember not too long ago when hids were all the hype.
I don't have any definitive numbers, but I've heard that the stock Lexus HIDs are slightly brighter and warmer in color than the LEDs, and the LEDs should also last longer than the HIDs. The nice thing is that the LED is color-matched with the 'L' shaped DRLs below it, so its very nicely integrated.

Whether anyone would notice the visual difference of the projected beam of the HID/LED systems is questionable though. All I know is that my LEDs have been plenty bright enough for me during nighttime driving. It's also nice that the high-beam is fully LED as well, whereas in some HID-equipped vehicles, the high-beam uses an orange-colored halogen bulb.
Old 11-04-13, 05:40 PM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm finding the IS250 AWD to be silky smooth and fun to drive while still delivering great road feel and ride comfort. The power delivery is also adequate. I've owned a 2008 335xi that was super fun to drive, but it had run-flat tires and suspension that made the car sound like it was exploding when hitting small bumps in the road. Now, BMW still has the run-flat tires, increased the size of the F30 and adopted electric steering that is anything but engaging. Then you have to deal with throttle and turbo lag and reliability issues.

I still love German cars, but the IS provides leading edge design that provides a good compromise for a sports sedan meant to be a daily driver. The build quality, standard features and expected reliability should secure the IS as a solid market contender.

Consumer Reports panned it IS250, but I give it four plus stars based on ownership experience versus a short test drive.
Old 11-04-13, 06:29 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read the article then I see the summary specs that the new 335i really improve in speed and to near 4.5 s Vs. IS350 5.5s. Man, this is a full 1 second which is closer to ISF now. The 350 is better in other categories like comfort and little bit of steering feel ....handling.