IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Saw the new IS Today - a GS350 is in my future

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 10:09 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
I don't get where cheap interior you guys are referring. It looks way more luxurious than 2IS.
It really comes down to personal preference. I think the 3IS has some new/better interior features then the 2IS. However, after seeing the 3IS in person, I still think the overall quality, fit, finish, and refinement of the interior of the 2IS is better then the 3IS.

It may also have something to do with the 4GS interior and expectations of the new 3IS based on how nice the 4GS is.

For example, 05RollaXRS, finds it odd that I would criticize the 3IS interior since in his opinion, it is light years ahead of the 2IS. I don't agree with that statement.

In addition, I am married and my wife and I will be in the car together for most of its miles. Therefore, I need to think about the passenger's comfort as well. The GS meets that need for me, while the 3IS just doesn't.
Old 07-21-13, 10:38 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Uhhh, the 3IS makes the 2IS interior look cheap. I have NO idea what you guys are talking about. Build quality? Fit/Finish? from what ive seen 3IS is better - the 2IS interior is full of rattles, and has almost no leather anywhere! The whole dash/door panels are all one material... Etc.
Old 07-21-13, 11:16 PM
greggy23
Rookie

07 2IS and current 11 CT owner. GF has a 11 250 F-Sport. We test drove the 3IS 250 base and F-Sport and we thought both models had more comfortable seats than the 2IS. 3IS has a better overall interior design compared to the 2IS. I did feel some of the materials on the door and dash felt cheaper in the 3IS but the 2IS interior is starting to look dated IMO.
Old 07-21-13, 11:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
It really comes down to personal preference. I think the 3IS has some new/better interior features then the 2IS. However, after seeing the 3IS in person, I still think the overall quality, fit, finish, and refinement of the interior of the 2IS is better then the 3IS.

It may also have something to do with the 4GS interior and expectations of the new 3IS based on how nice the 4GS is.

For example, 05RollaXRS, finds it odd that I would criticize the 3IS interior since in his opinion, it is light years ahead of the 2IS. I don't agree with that statement.

In addition, I am married and my wife and I will be in the car together for most of its miles. Therefore, I need to think about the passenger's comfort as well. The GS meets that need for me, while the 3IS just doesn't.
Sums it up nice

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Uhhh, the 3IS makes the 2IS interior look cheap. I have NO idea what you guys are talking about. Build quality? Fit/Finish? from what ive seen 3IS is better - the 2IS interior is full of rattles, and has almost no leather anywhere! The whole dash/door panels are all one material... Etc.
Seriously? There's plenty to like and plenty of improvements but materials are NOT one of those things Raj. Perhaps you're confusing design with fit and finish ie cabin materials. No one mentioned build quality which yes is improved. The materials used are lacking considerably though I will admit they a slightly better than the ES. The doors for example don't have that nice patented Lexus "thud" like old ones do now. The F-Sports "CF" look and base model matte black have a cheap look/texture. Further down the hard plastic is just expansive and very poor to the touch. Moving to the steering wheel the steering wheel control bezels are some of the worst I've seen. Barely a touch of the finger nail will easily mar the poor/rough plastic. The black bezels around the climate controls and audio also give a cheap feel. Also bad is the raised plastic supporting the Remote Touch - which is rough and scratchy. Then same as the door but over the glove box that same weird CF material. Perhaps you enjoy the design, technology, safety, engineering and "fun to drive" elements of the new 3IS, but clear cost cutting is very evident throughout most any Lexus below the $50K mark. And although those are admirable things, the fact that Lexus would eschew Luxury (by which it established itself) in both forms of material and feature content is rather appalling. Lexus should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 07-22-13, 05:34 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The interior quality of the 2IS trounces the 3IS interior. By leaps & bounds.
The 2IS interior was developed in conjunction with L-finesse design language and is of very high quality..

Last edited by yowps3; 07-22-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 06:17 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2IS interior is more elegant and relaxing while the 3IS is more modern and busy. It depends on your taste.

Here is the 2IS F-sport interior. Doesn't look bad. I like that steering wheel better than the new one. And the sport seats are equally good as in 3IS.

Old 07-22-13, 07:07 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Firstly, unlike the 2IS owners who are justifying the supremacy of their older cars, I have nothing to gain from praising one over the other. I am just saying neutrally from a stand point, the materials of the new 3IS is light years ahead of that of the 2IS such as the cheap, hollow and grey accented plastics in the 2IS surrounding the nav system.

I sat inside both and the cheap grey plastic on the old 2IS looks very outdated and flimsy compared to the very solid and very well finished look of the 3IS.

And I compared an IS-F to a 3IS F-sport both parked side by side. I was shocked at how cheap the weaved silver trim at the center of the IS-F looked.

In every shape or form, the new 3IS is a huge step forward in the right direction.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-22-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 07:40 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a 2013 IS350 Fsport with the sales person in the passenger seat and my wife in the back seat -- could've gotten it for a massive discount. I almost went for it because it was so much fun watching my wife bounce up and down & in an out of the rear view mirror when we hit bumps. I loved hearing my 5"2" wife complain about how there wasn't enough room in the back seat of the 2IS -- well, because she is so adorable when she complains. She didn't like it even after I explained that this is car has a lot of fans on Club Lexus and we do see a lot of women driving the 2IS in LA -- there must be a reason.

I had a 2013 2IS for two days. The nav is perfect for the sight impaired because of it's big blocky characters on a low def screen except there was one problem -- the sun fell on the nav screen at exactly the wrong times i.e. backing up or trying to see the map. . If you're a fan of unadorned dashboards with vast plains of black vinyl -- well, the 2IS is for you -- it is luxury quality vinyl. And oh my, the leather seats did have a lot of character -- stains, scratches and stretching. A word about the ventilation dials -- perfectly position but exposed, inelegant and ugly -- just like an after thought.

But mostly I remember that ride -- quite a bit like another luxury car I owned -- the Genesis -- one of the worse ride/handling combos on the market. In fact I have a renewed appreciation for how close Hyundai came to mimicking the 2IS on it's very 1st try.

All is all a very nice interior and car -- for 2008 imo.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-22-13 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 08:33 AM
greggy23
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
I test drove a 2013 IS350 Fsport with the sales person in the passenger seat and my wife in the back seat -- could've gotten it for a massive discount. I almost went for it because it was so much fun watching my wife bounce up and down & in an out of the rear view mirror when we hit bumps. I loved hearing my 5"2" wife complain about how there wasn't enough room in the back seat of the 2IS -- well, because she is so adorable when she complains. She didn't like it even after I explained that this is car has a lot of fans on Club Lexus and we do see a lot of women driving the 2IS in LA -- there must be a reason.

I had a 2013 2IS for two days. The nav is perfect for the sight impaired because of it's big blocky characters on a low def screen except there was one problem -- the sun fell on the nav screen at exactly the wrong times i.e. backing up or trying to see the map. . If you're a fan of unadorned dashboards vast plains of black vinyl -- well, the 2IS is for you -- it is luxury quality vinyl. And oh my, the leather seats did have a lot of character -- stains, scratches and stretching. A word about the ventilation dials -- perfectly position but exposed, inelegant and ugly -- just like an after thought.

But mostly I remember that ride -- quite a bit like another luxury car I owned -- the Genesis -- one of the worse ride/handling combos on the market. In fact I have a renewed appreciation for how close Hyundai came to mimicking the 2IS on it's very 1st try.

All is all a very nice interior and car Very nice interior -- for 2008 imo.
Too funny. Everything you say is spot on. I forgot how bumpy the 2IS ride is when sitting in the back. You're right about the interior too. Loved it back in 2007, still like it today. It's aged very well but the 3IS interior is superior IMO.
Old 07-22-13, 09:20 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
The interior quality of the 2IS trounces the 3IS interior. By leaps & bounds.
The 2IS interior was developed in conjunction with L-finesse design language and is of very high quality..

It's crazy how much more elegant the 2IS is. The most striking difference is the door panels. One looks like it belongs in a 50k car while the other would be right at home in a 20k vehicle.
Old 07-22-13, 09:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Firstly, unlike the 2IS owners who are justifying the supremacy of their older cars, I have nothing to gain from praising one over the other. I am just saying neutrally from a stand point, the materials of the new 3IS is light years ahead of that of the 2IS such as the cheap, hollow and grey accented plastics in the 2IS surrounding the nav system.

I sat inside both and the cheap grey plastic on the old 2IS looks very outdated and flimsy compared to the very solid and very well finished look of the 3IS.

And I compared an IS-F to a 3IS F-sport both parked side by side. I was shocked at how cheap the weaved silver trim at the center of the IS-F looked.

In every shape or form, the new 3IS is a huge step forward in the right direction.
indeed.. it has to be said though - 2IS has nicer lower bottom of the door and overhead lights... thats it, out of complete vehicle :-).

everything else, 3IS wins.
Old 07-22-13, 09:56 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing to consider is that adding 3 inches to a car costs money and they still have to hit a marketplace mandated price point. If I went only by what I was accustomed to and thought was superior -- I'd still be driving the 1977 Silver Shadow I used to have when I was younger.
Old 07-22-13, 09:58 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well after seeing the car in person I can still say I hate the exterior styling. ( I feel that it looks like a Honda Accord with a body kit).

Now as for the interior I can say that I do like it but just like many of you have said I hate the cheap materials that they used. However the material do feel better than the crappy new ES interior.
Old 07-22-13, 01:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Old 2IS exterior and interior is more gentlemanly, or more formal, like a pair of leather shoes.
New 3IS exterior and interior is more overtly sporty, like a pair of Nike or Adidas running shoes.

The old smooth style will always age more gracefully, but the bulbous new body style is aggressive and punchy etc.

I wish all Lexus models came in two body styles like Audis.
Audis have A4, A6 and A8, but then there is the sportier A5 and A7 moieties, although an A9 doesn't exist yet.
Thus, it would be great if IS came in sedan body style, boxy, upright, practical, and gentlemanly in styling.
Then IS could come in a second body style of a 4 door coupe: lower roof line, curvaceous, swoopy canopy, sporty etc - like a pair of Nikes or Reeboks...
Old 07-22-13, 02:14 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Old 2IS exterior and interior is more gentlemanly, or more formal, like a pair of leather shoes.
New 3IS exterior and interior is more overtly sporty, like a pair of Nike or Adidas running shoes.

The old smooth style will always age more gracefully, but the bulbous new body style is aggressive and punchy etc.

I wish all Lexus models came in two body styles like Audis.
Audis have A4, A6 and A8, but then there is the sportier A5 and A7 moieties, although an A9 doesn't exist yet.
Thus, it would be great if IS came in sedan body style, boxy, upright, practical, and gentlemanly in styling.
Then IS could come in a second body style of a 4 door coupe: lower roof line, curvaceous, swoopy canopy, sporty etc - like a pair of Nikes or Reeboks...
IMO, the regular 3IS fills the role of gentleman styling where the F Sport one has more aggressive and sporty image.

For more gentleman style, the front bumper of the regular IS reminds me of the 2IS's with some distinct styling near the fog light area. On the inside, Lexus has decided to skip the LFA style instrument panel and instead a revised conventional 2 circles. In fact, the 2 silver rings of the speedometer and tachometer match the styling of the front cupholders.

Quick Reply: Saw the new IS Today - a GS350 is in my future