IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

black or white

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 08:29 PM
sleazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question black or white

hey guys, new to the site and my first post. I'm a Mustang enthusiast who decided to look into a luxury vehicle after growing up a bit. I considered BMW and Mercedes, but I get to purchase a Lexus at invoice price since I'm employed by Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas.

I'm fixing to purchase a 2014 IS250 F-Sport, but I would like y'alls opinion on color preference because I'm stuck in between ultra white and obsidian (black). I have an ultra white with black interior on the way to my local Lexus dealer which is set to arrive mid August. I already put down a deposit. However, today I took a visit to the dealer and ran into a black with red interior that I absolutely fell for. Unfortunately it had just sold.

I know it comes down to personal preference, but I would love to hear y'alls opinion.

ultra white or obsidian, and with which interior..

thanks, - sleazy
Old 07-19-13, 08:45 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither. Compromise and get silver. Easier to maintain.
Old 07-19-13, 08:53 PM
sleazy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by John510
Neither. Compromise and get silver. Easier to maintain.
I would hate silver on a luxury vehicle. It just doesn't make sense to me. Although you definitely have a point, black is a pain to maintain!
Old 07-19-13, 09:08 PM
John510
Lead Lap

I dont really consider my IS a luxury vehicle. It rides stiff, makes noise when I floor it, and has a sport red interior. When I think of a luxury car I think of a S class benz that rides smooth, makes no noise, and has plush leather seats.
Old 07-19-13, 09:11 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Black -- I just sold my Black 2001 IS300 -- I washed, waxed and covered (flannel) my car for the last 12 years -- it looked like a gem when I sold it -- I just bought a 2014 IS250 Obsidian w/ Black Interior & Black trim and look forward to the pleasure of washing, waxing and covering my car.
Old 07-20-13, 05:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I have had poor luck with sticking to a color. I initially bought Ultra White/Rioja Red, then switched to Obsidian/Rioja Red, now 7 weeks into my order wait and indecisiveness, I'm wanting the Ultrasonic Blue (available in Canada).

In the US unfortunately no USB (or maybe that's a good thing ), however, between the White, and Black, hands down my vote goes towards the Obsidian with the gorgeous Rioja Red interior. First reason is, in my neighborhood, there are too many white cars so nothing seems to stand out. Next, the black gives off a more luxurious yet menacing look especially at the front while the white color gives off a more tuner-car look begging for mods. If you are into these customizations or prefer the "clean sheet" look , the white/red hands down is for you and it will look great. If not, it's harder to sticker up, put vinyl, etc on a black car. All depends on what you want but here are some Obsidian shots with the red interior. WOW!

***PS. Second and third shots are courtesy of our fellow female enthusiast, dstopsie's car. Fourth pic is that of the stunning Obsidian/cabernet GS F-Sport to show the IS/GS family resemblance of luxury, power, presence, and sportiness.
Attached Thumbnails black or white-blacka2.jpg   black or white-black1e.jpg   black or white-blacka8a.jpg   black or white-gs1.jpg   black or white-2013-07-11-18.31.21.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-20-13 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-20-13, 05:59 AM
Alius
Pole Position

I personally went with UW/Rioja Red just because I love white on cars, although it can be hard to maintain due to any little dirt/particle getting on it and being a white car it gets noticed easily. At night it is where the Ultra White really stands out though, in the end is just a matter of personal taste.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-13, 06:37 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the Ultra White/Rioja Red combination. Personally, I think that white really makes the lines of the car stand out.
Old 07-20-13, 07:41 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought ultra white, but I cant lie. the black looks amazing.
Old 07-20-13, 09:03 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I have had poor luck with sticking to a color. I initially bought Ultra White/Rioja Red, then switched to Obsidian/Rioja Red, now 7 weeks into my order wait and indecisiveness, I'm wanting the Ultrasonic Blue (available in Canada).

In the US unfortunately no USB (or maybe that's a good thing ), however, between the White, and Black, hands down my vote goes towards the Obsidian with the gorgeous Rioja Red interior. First reason is, in my neighborhood, there are too many white cars so nothing seems to stand out. Next, the black gives off a more luxurious yet menacing look especially at the front while the white color gives off a more tuner-car look begging for mods. If you are into these customizations or prefer the "clean sheet" look , the white/red hands down is for you and it will look great. If not, it's harder to sticker up, put vinyl, etc on a black car. All depends on what you want but here are some Obsidian shots with the red interior. WOW!

***PS. Second and third shots are courtesy of our fellow female enthusiast, dstopsie's car. Fourth pic is that of the stunning Obsidian/cabernet GS F-Sport to show the IS/GS family resemblance of luxury, power, presence, and sportiness.

Thanks for the shoutout on the pics of my car. When I show friends or co-workers my black/red baby their reaction is to gasp at the beauty of the red interior. And almost a month since I got it that is my reaction every time I see the car as I walk up to it and when I open the door and see the interior.

I just love it!!! Just spent 2 hours cleaning it to perfection!! It took thst long cause I took my time. With the LED daytime running lights against the black of the car there just isn't anything else IMO that is as stunning. I always thought my daytime running lights got lost in the StarFire pearl color of my 2012 and didn't stand out as dramatically as they do against the black front of the car.
Old 07-20-13, 09:05 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

See how beautiful it looks
Attached Thumbnails black or white-image.jpg  
Old 07-20-13, 09:09 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Here's another view of my " black beauty". It looks gorgeous and it needed a car wash in this pic
Attached Thumbnails black or white-image.jpg  
Old 07-20-13, 10:10 AM
John510
Lead Lap

I went with Grey. I already have 2 other black cars and was tired of maintaining the swirls.

But yes between black or white get black if you have the time to maintain it.
Old 07-20-13, 10:18 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black is sleek and hides many of the lines on the vehicle more. It makes the car more understated and elements of the lines are more concealed. It is also a booger to keep clean (last 4 cars have been black). Also, if you are in a hot area, summers are more punishing getting into it.

White is a bit easier to maintain, shows the lines better, and I like the pearl effect that the black doesn't have and also hides imperfections better. Touchups on the white are more difficult if you have any paint work, it also as I've found out can stain with dealership tire shine products (it does eventually fade back out over a couple of months) and there are seemingly more people going with white cars these days.

I'd still buy white again if I had it to do over again as I think the lexus Ultra white color is more of a standout when properly polished than the black. Plus I needed to change after so many black cars. But either are lookers.
Old 07-20-13, 12:10 PM
sleazy
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the feedback everyone. Although I must admit I'm not any closer to a decision. Both Obsidian and Ultra White have a ton of pros. One thing that I have decided on however, is that of the interior. I'm calling my salesman to let him know I'm no longer interested in the black interior and I want the Rioja Red.

What it may come down to for me is which color (obsidian or ultra white) he can get me first with the rioja red interior. Hopefully it doesn't take too long because I'm already ooh so anxious!! I am however leaning towards the Obsidian. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks again for the feedback and those photos corradoMR2, dstopsie

Quick Reply: black or white