IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

BMW vs Lexus, my girl's perspective

Old 07-17-13, 10:00 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BMW vs Lexus, my girl's perspective

So as you all know Lexus has recently stepped up big time with the introduction of the 4GS and now the all new 3IS. Beating out competitions like BMW 5 and 3. I'm ecstatic that a car enthusiast like me can finally have the cake and eat it too. I'm talking about combining Lexus reliability with great performance and handling.

Like most girls my gf is not much of a car person. But being a car nuts I talk about cars all the time. Sometimes she asks me which Lexus do I drive again. Six months ago I had to explain to her the difference between hubcaps and wheels lol.

I'm proud to say that with all this car talk she must have paid attention. Check this out:

http://desgettier.com/blog/2013/7/16/bmw-lexus

Finally I love the new 3IS. My lease will up in two years and I'm already thinking which is the best 3IS color
Old 07-17-13, 10:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4
Like most girls my gf is not much of a car person. But being a car nuts I talk about cars all the time. Sometimes she asks me which Lexus do I drive again. Six months ago I had to explain to her the difference between hubcaps and wheels lol.

I'm proud to say that with all this car talk she must have paid attention. Check this out:

http://desgettier.com/blog/2013/7/16/bmw-lexus
Wow, so this is your GF's blog? I like the part below as it sums up the BMW experience nicely

"...because BMW is undeniably cool. Young, sporty, confident… With a tradition of April Fools pranks, sexy bangle butts and angel eyes… It's a delicious honey moon, till the 4-year warranty runs out and things start falling apart. Literally. You'll be on first name terms with your local BMW service shop."
Old 07-17-13, 10:52 AM
Ntowens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it!!
Old 07-17-13, 10:55 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good effort, however one of the key points is a little simplistic, where it asks why do companies focus on monthly sales so much?

Because monthly sales add up to yearly sales, and there is no other way to measure a car company's progress or success, that's why.

The market is brutally competitive, moreso than ever. Companies are fighting tooth and nail for every last sale. It's a basic fact of our everyday lives...if you stop caring, you start losing.

You can bet nothing would make a company happier than coming out on top in sales, even by just one unit. There's too much at stake. As much as I dislike BMW, I'm glad they're around because that month to month competition forces Lexus to be on their game as well. They are a necessary evil in my book.
Old 07-17-13, 11:11 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm impressed she would even attempt to use Latin in her blog. I truly am but she misspelled the Latin term. It should read Habemus Papam.
Old 07-17-13, 11:22 AM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by Glashub
I'm impressed she would even attempt to use Latin in her blog. I truly am but she misspelled the Latin term. It should read Habemus Papam.
She spelled it the way C+D spelled it.

Well written. I was hoping for a little more meat at the end, though. She did a great breakdown of BMW, but no build-up of Lexus, which left me kind of wondering if there was a second page I was missing...
Old 07-17-13, 11:30 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

They misspelled it then.
Old 07-17-13, 11:43 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Wow, so this is your GF's blog? I like the part below as it sums up the BMW experience nicely

"...because BMW is undeniably cool. Young, sporty, confident… With a tradition of April Fools pranks, sexy bangle butts and angel eyes… It's a delicious honey moon, till the 4-year warranty runs out and things start falling apart. Literally. You'll be on first name terms with your local BMW service shop."
Thanks yes it's her blog. She loves blogging about luxury brands and constantly talks about them. Just as much as me talking and thinking about cars. Recently she started thinking more about car brands thanks to me haha.

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Good effort, however one of the key points is a little simplistic, where it asks why do companies focus on monthly sales so much?

Because monthly sales add up to yearly sales, and there is no other way to measure a car company's progress or success, that's why.

The market is brutally competitive, moreso than ever. Companies are fighting tooth and nail for every last sale. It's a basic fact of our everyday lives...if you stop caring, you start losing.

You can bet nothing would make a company happier than coming out on top in sales, even by just one unit. There's too much at stake. As much as I dislike BMW, I'm glad they're around because that month to month competition forces Lexus to be on their game as well. They are a necessary evil in my book.
Completely agree with you. Lexus corporate probably meet weekly and discuss sales numbers. You can't be behind the ball on this one or you'll be out. I've actually look at sales numbers since 2002 and saw that Lexus was number one from 2002 to 2010. They fell behind for the first time in 2011 because of the tsunami and I'm sure that accelerator issue didn't help.

That may explain why they recently started building cars that can handle not just having a plush ride. They probably figure we've always been known for our plush ride. Now just add handling with performance to the mix and we'll have our crown back. I'm proof that it's working. Since my last two cars were the BMW 335i and the Corvette.

Originally Posted by Glashub
Thanks I'll let her know. I'm just glad that now I have more excuses to talk about cars
Old 07-17-13, 10:14 PM
nano10
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

I admit lexus is better but this BMW statement is way over exaggerated. I have had 2 bimmers over 100,000 and 1 over 80,000. Never had any problems beyond normal maintainence
Old 07-18-13, 03:30 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nano10
I admit lexus is better but this BMW statement is way over exaggerated. I have had 2 bimmers over 100,000 and 1 over 80,000. Never had any problems beyond normal maintainence
You should consider yourself lucky. I've had two BMW 5 series. The first was a lease so I never saw the maintenance. I liked it enough that I ended up purchasing a new one figuring to keep it a while. Once the warranty was up, it was one thing after another. The car was constantly in the shop for repairs. I ended up dumping it at 90,000 miles, when they said there was a transmission fault, and never looked back.
Old 07-18-13, 08:45 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I am so pleased to have discovered this - "For more output, buyers can step up to the IS 350, which is fitted with a 3.5-liter V6 that uses an unusual port and direct-injection system...."

I think Toyota is the only manufacturer to use this system.
Old 07-18-13, 09:21 AM
palidino
Rookie

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
You should consider yourself lucky. I've had two BMW 5 series. The first was a lease so I never saw the maintenance. I liked it enough that I ended up purchasing a new one figuring to keep it a while. Once the warranty was up, it was one thing after another. The car was constantly in the shop for repairs. I ended up dumping it at 90,000 miles, when they said there was a transmission fault, and never looked back.
Same here 2008 X5 with 86000 miles. No problems within the 4 year warranty. 4 and a half year the transfer case fails. $2500 repair.
Old 07-18-13, 09:28 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

If I'm not wrong, Toyota invented the dual injection system with the current 2GR-FSE engine and patented it. Any other car company wanting to use this system has to get permission from Toyota.
Old 07-18-13, 09:48 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

natnut -- it is such a perfect solution to a vexing problem at least to my neophyte mind. I passed on a Genesis R-spec because of the GDI and went with a 4.6 instead. It was hard to do but sure enough -- there's a long thread about GDI engine owners getting about a 1000 miles to a quart of oil.
Old 07-18-13, 11:04 AM
pinipig523
Rookie

Nice that your gf mentioned it on her blog. A little lacking meat in the end though, considering it was the Lexus that she was promoting.

Either way, better than my non-existing blog.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW vs Lexus, my girl's perspective