IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

removed protective film

Old 07-14-13, 07:06 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default removed protective film

First time posting pics...can everyone see them?
Attached Thumbnails removed protective film-side-w-film.jpg   removed protective film-side-w-o-film.jpg   removed protective film-rear-w-film.jpg   removed protective film-rear-w-o-film.jpg  
Old 07-14-13, 07:19 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Looks better. No lines from film.
Old 07-14-13, 07:56 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you take the ones on the sides off?? And why does ext even put them there in the first place??
Old 07-14-13, 08:15 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
How did you take the ones on the sides off?? And why does ext even put them there in the first place??
I've used dental floss and a tiny bit of Goo Gone in the past to remove emblems, stickers, etc.

I wonder how much the line shows on Obsidian now that you've had it for a few days with dirt/wax/grime accumulating? Can you take some closeup pics?
Old 07-14-13, 08:21 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've used dental floss and a tiny bit of Goo Gone in the past to remove emblems, stickers, etc.

I wonder how much the line shows on Obsidian now that you've had it for a few days with dirt/wax/grime accumulating? Can you take some closeup pics?
Yes I'll take some pics for u. I do spend a lot of time cleaning around ths area. Why dies the dealer put that film there in the first place??
Old 07-14-13, 08:52 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

They come from factory not dealer. 2IS already has them on rear quarter panel but for 3IS Lexus added the ones on the rear doors. There must be a reason Lexus added these.
Old 07-14-13, 08:56 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I'll take some pics for u. I do spend a lot of time cleaning around ths area. Why dies the dealer put that film there in the first place??
To protect the paint since those are the areas that rocks. suitcases, etc. are likely to hit. Lexus clear bras those areas for you.
Old 07-14-13, 09:09 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

I personally did not take them off, the shop did for $50. But after watching him...i couldve easily saved $50. You take a blow dryer on the lowest setting and heat the whole are for 30-60 seconds. Then use a soft flat tool (same tool tint shops use to smooth out the air pockets) and pry one of the corners off...then carefully peel it off. There is no residue once its peeled off. but he wiped it down with ammonia free glass cleaner anyway. it was super simple and its a must do especially on the lighter 3IS...that dust just sits underneath the edges and just looks nasty...
Old 07-15-13, 01:49 PM
Timmah
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling second I remove mine a rock is goign to chip right there.
Old 07-15-13, 03:16 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Why remove them when they are there to protect your car? Just clean the lines around them so they aren't as visible
Old 07-15-13, 06:27 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Default i should've WASHED it.... =/

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Why remove them when they are there to protect your car? Just clean the lines around them so they aren't as visible
Maaaan...why didnt i think of washing it FIRST??

This "protection" is about as good as wearing a bullet proof necklace and walking into a gun fight. When you get yours, i strongly suggest wrapping the whole car in the clear bra.

And more importantly, this applique hurts the integrity of the vehicle vs helping it.
Old 07-16-13, 05:51 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those areas are very high impact areas. The front tires throw rocks down the sides and they hit right where the film was. So look forward to having a LOT of rock chips there in the future. The rear bumper deck piece protects from damage when cargo is removed. Another high impact area... even to the point where the plastic bumper will get gouged. So once you start getting scratches and rock chips, make sure to post some more pics so people can see what the difference is.
Old 07-16-13, 05:58 PM
greggy23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. The rear bumber appliqué especially. Had a 2IS and the bumper got gouged taking luggage out. Same with my current CT. As careful and **** as I am it happened to both of my cars. Once I did it and the other time someone else did.

I can understand taking it off though if you don't like the way it looks but just be extra careful when taking luggage or anything else heavy out of the trunk of your IS.
Old 07-16-13, 07:59 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2IS has that transparent film applied from the factory. On the 2IS, it came with only one on the rear fender of each side. Overtime, mine has turned yellow and stands out from the rest of the body color, if you have lighter color such as white like mine. I had one of them removed and I haven't found any rock chips on that area so far in three four months.

However, if I have to use my car on the rocky road, or debris-filled highway, I would leave them on for a sake of paint protection.
Old 07-16-13, 09:42 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Default try the pavement...

Originally Posted by SCWB
My 2IS has that transparent film applied from the factory. On the 2IS, it came with only one on the rear fender of each side. Overtime, mine has turned yellow and stands out from the rest of the body color, if you have lighter color such as white like mine. I had one of them removed and I haven't found any rock chips on that area so far in three four months.

However, if I have to use my car on the rocky road, or debris-filled highway, I would leave them on for a sake of paint protection.
I agree on both points @SCWB. I'm not going to speculate why Lexus decided that these films are in certain places over others but I know that rocks HARDLY, if ever, hit those panels from regular driving. If anything, vehicles should ALWAYS come stock with the whole bumper covered in film. It's all about surface area angle in relation to impact and nothing beats the front bumper and the windshield.

@PTMOBILE - id stay off the dirt roads and stick to paved roads. Come out to cali sometime...not many dirt roads out here. Otherwise I suggest you clear bra your entire car and just leave it in the garage. =) But thanks for the "advice". you might be waiting a while for the picture...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: removed protective film