fishy smell from air condition?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 07:57 PM
plutoGK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fishy smell from air condition?

hey guys, recently I come up with this weird problem:
when I started my car, there was this fishy smell coming out from air conditon for about few seconds and then it was gone. I parked my car outside all the time and I was wondering if it had anything to do with the heat or because of exposing the car under the sun for too long? I just changed my air filter about 3000k miles ago.
Old 06-19-15, 08:54 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The heat might be a cause to the smell. Mine had a weird smell ever since I got the car, and the dealership put carbon air filters in, and it helps a little.

I think it's mainly because of the moisture build-up in the vent. I would switch to fresh air instead of circulation when I can to minimize the smell. But regardless, go back to the shop/dealership and have them check if there is anything in the vent.
Old 06-19-15, 09:37 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It's mildew, you're probably smelling microscopic mold spores that get released upon first starting your A/C. As they say, if you can smell mold, it's already too late.

There is another thread discussing this issue and it does seem to be related to excess moisture buildup not getting released on hot summer days.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-of-vents.html

To make the smell go away, what I do is remove my cabin air filter from the glove box, then start my car, then run my A/C fan on low speed, not high speed (so as not to damage the fan motor when the air filter is not in place), then liberally spray Lysol Disinfectant from a spray can into the filter hole. Watch as it gets sucked into the filter hole and you can start smelling it come out the vents. Do this a few times a week and in a couple of weeks it'll hardly be noticeable anymore. Although, the smell will likely keep coming back.

Also, I don't think this is a Lexus warranty issue. They cannot be held responsible for the climate and environment the car is stored in after it's sold.

Last edited by Machine13; 06-19-15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-19-15, 10:10 AM
plutoGK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Machine13
It's mildew, you're probably smelling microscopic mold spores that get released upon first starting your A/C. As they say, if you can smell mold, it's already too late.

There is another thread discussing this issue and it does seem to be related to excess moisture buildup not getting released on hot summer days.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-of-vents.html

To make the smell go away, what I do is remove my cabin air filter from the glove box, then start my car, then run my A/C fan on low speed, not high speed (so as not to damage the fan motor when the air filter is not in place), then liberally spray Lysol Disinfectant from a spray can into the filter hole. Watch as it gets sucked into the filter hole and you can start smelling it come out the vents. Do this a few times a week and in a couple of weeks it'll hardly be noticeable anymore. Although, the smell will likely keep coming back.

Also, I don't think this is a Lexus warranty issue. They cannot be held responsible for the climate and environment the car is stored in after it's sold.
thanks for the reply, i have read another thread and it was exact the same problem i have. I will go with your suggestions and see how it comes out.
Old 06-19-15, 10:22 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

I am also experiencing this problem on my fsport, so Im going to change my cabin air filter. It seems that this car traps moisture a lot more than the prior generation. I make sure to turn the A/C off about five minutes before I park my car and it does not seem to work for this generation. :\

-Josh
Old 06-19-15, 12:02 PM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine just started doing this too as it has been incredibly humid in the northeast over the last two weeks. The car had an old toyota air filter in it and i replaced it with a fabreeze one not even two weeks ago before this happened.
Old 06-19-15, 03:53 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ask your dealer for the AC evaporator cleaning service. It's the proper long-term solution.