IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
Old 12-16-14, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

How many times have you waxed your new 3IS??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 06:53 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How many times have you waxed your new 3IS??

Hi everyone, I was wondering how many times new 3IS owners have waxed their new ride since they got it?? I

I have waxed mine three times and I've only had it two weeks but it's black and it needs to have that extra special shine. I use a very easy to apply carnauba wax called Blitz Wax made by One Grand. This wax has been made by this company for 45 years. It was actually recommended to me by a professional detailer when I owned my last black car about seven years ago and I've been using it ever since. I have used on all my Lexus's and it is a really nice wax, easy to apply and easy to come off. I am also using extra soft microfiber cloths to apply it and also to take it off. I bought them at a specialty car shop out here in Los Angeles. This company's been around for 30 years so if anybody wants a good recommendation on some extra soft microfiber towels they do have an online store that can ship to you just let me know be happy to make a recommendation of what I'm using. And I am very particular on what I put on my car.

So new owners fess up, how many times have you waxed your car?
Old 07-13-13, 07:03 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha nice post! I was just googling waxing new cars. I havent had a new car in a long time! I was wondering if it was ok to wax new cars right away and I found my answer. YES! There is nothing like a freshly waxed black car, but I have white so I was curious to what type of wax to use. There are so many and price ranges. I'm sure it doesnt matter but was looking for something that will last awhile and protect against common things like bird droppings, and help bugs wipe off the huge front bumper easier...
Old 07-13-13, 07:07 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gocubs08
haha nice post! I was just googling waxing new cars. I havent had a new car in a long time! I was wondering if it was ok to wax new cars right away and I found my answer. YES! There is nothing like a freshly waxed black car, but I have white so I was curious to what type of wax to use. There are so many and price ranges. I'm sure it doesnt matter but was looking for something that will last awhile and protect against common things like bird droppings, and help bugs wipe off the huge front bumper easier...
The wax I use is so smooth that anything you put on the car like the cloth that you're cleaning with will slide off of it and I used it on my StarFire Pearl and it's beautiful. it's easy to apply and easy to take off Google it it's called Blitz Wax you would not be sorry if you got it. It's by far the best wax I used and I've been waxing my own car for over 20 years.

I use the purest carnauba wax that I can find with no fillers or additives and what I do is I just like to keep the front bumper extra smooth with wax so I'll apply a fast coat to the front bumper every time I waxed it to keep it smooth to the touch.

I've used it on all my IS's and the dealer that I get my cars from always tells me my cars look better then the cars on their showroom floor after I waxed them
Old 07-13-13, 07:56 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

lol That's great. 3 times. I've waxed it once with Mothers and have wash it 2x with Mothers Wash and Wax.1st time trying Mothers Wash and Wax -- always used just regular car shampoo like Turtle Wax Ice -- and I must say I'm impressed with Mothers. Don't need much and it rinses off easy and spotless. Nice shine afterwards. won't replace a wax job though.
Old 07-13-13, 11:53 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

three times in two weeks is a bit obsessive

wish I still had that new car passion with my cars, you guys are so lucky
Old 07-13-13, 12:02 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
The wax I use is so smooth that anything you put on the car like the cloth that you're cleaning with will slide off of it and I used it on my StarFire Pearl and it's beautiful. it's easy to apply and easy to take off Google it it's called Blitz Wax you would not be sorry if you got it. It's by far the best wax I used and I've been waxing my own car for over 20 years.

I use the purest carnauba wax that I can find with no fillers or additives and what I do is I just like to keep the front bumper extra smooth with wax so I'll apply a fast coat to the front bumper every time I waxed it to keep it smooth to the touch.

I've used it on all my IS's and the dealer that I get my cars from always tells me my cars look better then the cars on their showroom floor after I waxed them
Thanks for sharing the great advice! I'm very particular about what products I use, etc. and I will definitely try out your recommendation. Our black cars are definitely more work, but totally worth it I think!!!! Nothing looks sexier than a shiny black car :-)
Old 07-13-13, 12:53 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats to getting the new IS.

Great to know another Lexus owner who takes pride in car care. Yes dealership usually takes much less time in detailing a car before the new car delivery. I have seen Lexus dealership who uses some cheap wax such as the Turtle Super Hardshell Liquid Wax in new cars which do not last long, let alone the quality. So a car with good detailing product definitely makes a difference in the look department. It is understandable because good detailing takes many hours of labor. It is not feasible for high volume dealership.
Old 07-13-13, 09:10 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmims2000
Thanks for sharing the great advice! I'm very particular about what products I use, etc. and I will definitely try out your recommendation. Our black cars are definitely more work, but totally worth it I think!!!! Nothing looks sexier than a shiny black car :-)
Hi. Your welcome. I would also recommend getting extremely soft microfiber cloths to wash the car with, dry it, and put on the wax and take it off.. I got my cloths from California car cover in Chatsworth California they have a website that you can view the microfiber cloths and they also sell the blitz wax that's where I buy it. I got the three Microfiber cloths they are gray for $14.99 then I bought two royal blue cloths for $19.99. All of these cloths are extremely soft and they have not scratched my car at all . my car is so shiny that I can see myself in the thing. it looks like it's better than when I picked it up from the dealer with the wax and it's so easy to take the wax off with the gray cloths you will be very impressed. The blitz wax sells for 29.99 or 29.95. And I made a mistake the company's been around for 55 years not 45 years lol!!

If you decide to go that route I have let me know how you like it I think you will be very impressed
Old 07-13-13, 09:53 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Hi. Your welcome. I would also recommend getting extremely soft microfiber cloths to wash the car with, dry it, and put onsame carthe wax and take it off.. I got my cloths from California car cover in Chatsworth California they have a website that you can view the microfiber cloths and they also sell the blitz wax that's where I buy it. I got the three Microfiber cloths they are gray for $14.99 then I bought two royal blue cloths for $19.99. All of these cloths are extremely soft and they have not scratched my car at all . my car is so shiny that I can see myself in the thing. it looks like it's better than when I picked it up from the dealer with the wax and it's so easy to take the wax off with the gray cloths you will be very impressed. The blitz wax sells for 29.99 or 29.95. And I made a mistake the company's been around for 55 years not 45 years lol!!

If you decide to go that route I have let me know how you like it I think you will be very impressed
I noticed in your signature you had so many differet IS in the past. Why did you keep changing? I thought I was the only one buying the same car. Lol
Old 07-13-13, 10:00 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer gives unlimited free car washes so Ive been having them do all the washing and I just touch it up with meguiars quick detail spray
Old 07-15-13, 10:52 AM
wildtigg3r
Driver School Candidate

dstopsie - how do you wash the wax off your microfiber cloths?
Old 07-15-13, 11:58 AM
mmims2000
Driver

Smile

Hi. Your welcome. I would also recommend getting extremely soft microfiber cloths to wash the car with, dry it, and put on the wax and take it off.. I got my cloths from California car cover in Chatsworth California they have a website that you can view the microfiber cloths and they also sell the blitz wax that's where I buy it. I got the three Microfiber cloths they are gray for $14.99 then I bought two royal blue cloths for $19.99. All of these cloths are extremely soft and they have not scratched my car at all . my car is so shiny that I can see myself in the thing. it looks like it's better than when I picked it up from the dealer with the wax and it's so easy to take the wax off with the gray cloths you will be very impressed. The blitz wax sells for 29.99 or 29.95. And I made a mistake the company's been around for 55 years not 45 years lol!!

Just ordered the wax.. I can't wait to try it out!! The microfibers look amazing as well.. I think I'll probably order the same set as you did. I'm curious if you have any recommendations for washing and drying the car? Products you recommend? I just really want to prevent the dreaded swirl marks from showing up on that beautiful black paint.
Old 07-15-13, 01:43 PM
Timmah
Driver

I sealed mine up twice so far. The day after I picked it up and this past Thursday to make sure I got an even coat on sealant over the car. Clayed each time before sealing. Most important thing is washing your correctly to prevent swirls. You can wax or seal and what not as much as you want but if you don't wash properly there will be swirls, scratches, etc on the paint.
Old 07-15-13, 03:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Question Clay Bar benefits on a brand new car?

Originally Posted by Timmah
I sealed mine up twice so far. The day after I picked it up and this past Thursday to make sure I got an even coat on sealant over the car. Clayed each time before sealing. Most important thing is washing your correctly to prevent swirls. You can wax or seal and what not as much as you want but if you don't wash properly there will be swirls, scratches, etc on the paint.
Open to all: Help me understand the benefit of using a clay bar on a brand new vehicle not exposed to the elements yet. Thanks!
Old 07-15-13, 03:50 PM
Timmah
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Open to all: Help me understand the benefit of using a clay bar on a brand new vehicle not exposed to the elements yet. Thanks!
Not an super expert deatailer by any means however, even on a new car there are still contaminants on the paint from when it is done being made, shipping, driving, sitting on the lot, ETC. This way claying helps get all those off the clear coat so when you apply the wax or sealant it will bond to a fresh clean surface.

Quick Reply: How many times have you waxed your new 3IS??