IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Things you miss from the 2IS...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 12:47 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default analog in this technological age?

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
I get how the clock looks in the 2IS, however...the clock in the middle of the dash may be nice...but cant they put the time in the nav or the center area by the temp? Isnt safety a concern...so we hear? Isnt it easier to read a digital clock than analog one? and yes, I passed the 3rd grade.

As for the seats, I have rented many cars for work and you can totally tell the difference between regular seats and ventilated seats. Had the pleasure of driving a 300C hemi, heated an cooled steering wheel, cooled cup holders. Not using the touch screen. Sometimes I feel like Lexus copies what Mercedes does or feels pressure to. Actually, I take that back...I never thought they did until now.

This is coming from someone who has only driven Toyota/Lexus cars.
I totally agree...i would've loved the option for ventilated seats, cooled steering wheel, cooled cup holders...cooled everything! lol...i hardly use the heating options that seem standard these days.

if it were digital i would only like it on an LCD screen like the one on the f-sports. AND the most important thing would be....it should sync, via phone's internet, to the time zone desired right?? i mean...all this technology and i still have to manually adjust the clock???? aint no one got time for that! lol...
Old 07-13-13, 05:54 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah. I do not get it either. It is frustrating. It is like trying to re-invent the wheel.
Old 07-13-13, 07:04 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

I personally like the analog clock as I feel it adds an old school elegance that has been lost in the digital age. Even being an analog display, it could have digital inner works too sync with modern day time keeping devices. Even the digital clock in my 2IS needed to be manually adjusted and the navigation clock was not linked and needed to be adjusted individually.
Old 07-13-13, 07:48 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Go to menu, settings, vehicle settings. You can change many things like lighting and door locks. I changed from auto lock when shift to P in default to auto lock when car is moving.
Thanks. I found it, fun to change the settings up like that!!!
Old 07-13-13, 01:42 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thejaperu
Funny how much the excitement BLINDS you (really me) from scoping out features of the vehicle you've grown to love/cant live without.... =(

Off the bat, two things...

1) I need a cubby!! I have to place my iPhone above the shifter/mouse which tends to slide around a bit.... =( And where am I supposed to keep my loose change for trips down to areas where I have to dock my IS at a bay full of parking meters?? I guess it doesn't matter much now that most of them take credit cards...

2) WHERE DO I PUT MY SUNGLASSES!!! I cant believe I didn't notice that cubby near the rear view mirror was no longer there. lord knows the 2015/16 models will make minor changes to the interior (like they always do) and ill be sitting in one my buddies NEWER 3IS and start to think..."I should've waited".

whos with me? =P

Actually even in 2IS and other Lexus vehicles, the overhead sunglass holders have been missing and instead, that overhead area is occupied with buttons for telematics (like Enform in USA, G-link in Japan, etc)

So to accomodate the sunglass, there used to be Lexus Japan accessory that replaces the ashtray and it can store a sunglass. However, there are some sunglasses which are too large to be fit in such a tight area. In 3IS, there is not even a place for ashtray. For smokers, you have to put a portable that takes up one cupholder.
Old 07-13-13, 02:19 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AndyL
Actually even in 2IS and other Lexus vehicles, the overhead sunglass holders have been missing and instead, that overhead area is occupied with buttons for telematics (like Enform in USA, G-link in Japan, etc)

So to accomodate the sunglass, there used to be Lexus Japan accessory that replaces the ashtray and it can store a sunglass. However, there are some sunglasses which are too large to be fit in such a tight area. In 3IS, there is not even a place for ashtray. For smokers, you have to put a portable that takes up one cupholder.
3 of my close friends have 2006 IS', i had a 2012 IS, we ALL had sunglass holders behind the rear view mirror.

the ashtray compartment also has a cigarette lighter adapter in the 2IS. that compartment is tiny and if there is a kit to convert it into just a box basically, it would not be intended for sunglasses IMHO.

Sorry AndyL... maybe you're thinking of another vehicle?
Old 07-13-13, 04:52 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
I personally like the analog clock as I feel it adds an old school elegance that has been lost in the digital age. Even being an analog display, it could have digital inner works too sync with modern day time keeping devices. Even the digital clock in my 2IS needed to be manually adjusted and the navigation clock was not linked and needed to be adjusted individually.
I saw the 3IS in person for the first time yesterday. I too also didn't understand why people wanted to go from a digital clock to analog clock but I guess they like the classy look to it. I've never had a car with an analog clock (I'm fine with digital) so it was a surprise to me.
Old 07-13-13, 04:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Wunko
I saw the 3IS in person for the first time yesterday. I too also didn't understand why people wanted to go from a digital clock to analog clock but I guess they like the classy look to it. I've never had a car with an analog clock (I'm fine with digital) so it was a surprise to me.

Over the later years, Lexus was criticized by automotive journalists for having an '80s LCD clock. Lexus listened and changed it. One thing I found curious when I was at the dealer the other day was that I was able to change the time without the car on.
Old 07-13-13, 08:33 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thejaperu

3 of my close friends have 2006 IS', i had a 2012 IS, we ALL had sunglass holders behind the rear view mirror.

the ashtray compartment also has a cigarette lighter adapter in the 2IS. that compartment is tiny and if there is a kit to convert it into just a box basically, it would not be intended for sunglasses IMHO.

Sorry AndyL... maybe you're thinking of another vehicle?
Hi thejaperu,

It is understandable to get confused about what I meant. Actually that Lexus Japan dealer option part (DOP) is called Non-smoker box. For the 2IS, it actually replaces the entire unit under the lid which includes the cigarette lighter adapter and the ashtray. It has an adjustable part that is designed to hold the sunglass. It is still a small space and glass too big will not fit. Mine is okay but you cannot just throw it there or you will scratch the wood panel and the sunglass. I end up using that as an additional storage box. The finish inside is black leather like. I will sell this part and out the original ashtray & cigarette lighter adapter unit back. A picture is worth a thousand word. The picture was taken today. You can it holds up well.

Besides, FYI, the non smoker box for the 1st gen IS/Altezza is different. It just replaces the ashtray and obviously it is just a glorified coin holder with grey felt inside. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Things you miss from the 2IS...-image-432886351.jpg   Things you miss from the 2IS...-image-3075677376.jpg  
Old 07-14-13, 05:26 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

If I had only known about the replacement box previously. Great use for an otherwise wasted ashtray.
Old 07-14-13, 07:44 AM
F350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman

Go to menu, settings, vehicle settings. You can change many things like lighting and door locks. I changed from auto lock when shift to P in default to auto lock when car is moving.
Great tip!! Thanks for this buddy
Old 07-14-13, 09:38 AM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AndyL
Hi thejaperu,

It is understandable to get confused about what I meant. Actually that Lexus Japan dealer option part (DOP) is called Non-smoker box. For the 2IS, it actually replaces the entire unit under the lid which includes the cigarette lighter adapter and the ashtray. It has an adjustable part that is designed to hold the sunglass. It is still a small space and glass too big will not fit. Mine is okay but you cannot just throw it there or you will scratch the wood panel and the sunglass. I end up using that as an additional storage box. The finish inside is black leather like. I will sell this part and out the original ashtray & cigarette lighter adapter unit back. A picture is worth a thousand word. The picture was taken today. You can it holds up well.

Besides, FYI, the non smoker box for the 1st gen IS/Altezza is different. It just replaces the ashtray and obviously it is just a glorified coin holder with grey felt inside. LOL
thats pretty cool...
Old 07-15-13, 10:46 AM
wildtigg3r
Driver School Candidate

1) Digital clock - Lexus decided to go with the analog clock to look classy and luxury. I don't like the analog clock either.

2) Speedometer/RPM meter - On the 2IS, the speedometer/RPM meter has nice background light. When you start the car, the meter ramps up and down (sort of cool, I like it). Also, the speedometer lights up if you go over 80 mph (mine was at at 80).
Old 07-15-13, 11:42 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wildtigg3r
1) Digital clock - Lexus decided to go with the analog clock to look classy and luxury. I don't like the analog clock either.

2) Speedometer/RPM meter - On the 2IS, the speedometer/RPM meter has nice background light. When you start the car, the meter ramps up and down (sort of cool, I like it). Also, the speedometer lights up if you go over 80 mph (mine was at at 80).
On the 2IS, I do like the way the gauges spike up and back down as well. The speedometer and RPM gauge both light up. They are programmable to whatever speed and RPM warning you would like to set. They glow orange upon hitting that level and then change to red when you continue to rise above your set level.

I saw in one of the videos with the F-Sport Meter there is a similar warning. It appears to be a yellow bar on each side of the speed reading. Here is the video:
Old 08-09-13, 01:29 PM
wildtigg3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wildtigg3r

Adding a few more items on to my list...

3) Footwell lights - On the 2IS, the lights stay on while you are driving. No such thing on the 3IS. Bummer!

4) Front Map/Dome light - On the 2IS, it had the spot LED lighting for both driver and passenger. I believe it is the same for the rear dome light too. On the 3IS, the light just shines all over. I like the spot lighting better.

Quick Reply: Things you miss from the 2IS...