IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 09:10 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?

I must say it was tough -- the Q50 has some really cool tech, a more powerful engine, and looks pretty good in pictures. I could've waited but I came from a tech heavy car (Genesis) and am well aware that I didn't use most of it and had to give up some in the ride/handling.

Also, I'm afraid the new Infiniti tech will end being like CUE for a generation or two.

One drive in the IS F-sport and I don't know it just fit right and felt right -- even though it lacks leather seats and some pretty standard tech. That one drive did it for me. How about you? Why did you get the IS? Or for those sitting on the fence -- why are you considering the IS when on the surface the Q50 seems a better bang for buck?
Old 07-09-13, 09:49 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, I'm very picky on the design of a car. IMO, the Q50's exterior design is just not my taste - it just doesn't look *mean* and sporty to me, from every angle. (FYI - I'm in my early 30's.) On the other hand, the IS F-Sport makes me feel good.

As for the interior of the IS, I'm attracted by the design of the central console for which the display and temperature controls are separated by the middle deck containing the analog clock and vents. Overall, I just think that the whole thing looks clean. Also, I'm very a*n*a*l about the design and shape of the shift **** and stick - I'm a detail freak. Just go do a picture comparison of both cars.

Lastly, of course, the LFA gauge - I love it.

Last edited by doctorttt; 07-09-13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-09-13, 09:59 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I chose the IS since its more fitting to me since Im young (somewhat) and it looks a lot sportier. To me a Q50 looks like an older persons car.
Old 07-09-13, 10:02 PM
webhed
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doctorttt
For me, I'm very picky on the design of the car. IMO, the Q50's exterior design is just not my taste - it just doesn't look *mean* and sporty to me, from every angle.
My thoughts exactly. When I look at the Q50, all I see is a Maxima on steroids
Old 07-09-13, 10:13 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I see the interior of an Infinity, it looks just plasticy and janky. I didn't even bother considering them this time around.
Old 07-10-13, 06:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I agree with all your comments on design and materials quality.

Specifically what bothers me the most is its uninspiring bloated and bulbous rear, same like the M (Q70). It's 4+ inches too long putting it in mid-size territory. Is this car supposed to compete with the luxury compact sports sedans? Also, what's with the dash's derivative and similarly uninspiring design from the Hyundai Sonata, Cadillac ATS, and Lincoln MKZ, (among others)?

And finally, I'd put my money to a brand that has been the the best in quality and reliability almost every year the past 24 years making you feel worthy of spending the bigger bucks on the car. I got bragging rights here if and whenever someone trashes Lexus for being too boring.

To the Q50's credit, it's got sharp and aggressive front end styling and the availability of more tech than the IS.
Attached Thumbnails Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?-hyundai-sonata-2011-2.jpg   Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?-q50_resized.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-10-13 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 06:34 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your input everyone.

You nailed it corradoMR2 -- the 2012 Genesis I owned had a nav screen exactly where it's located on the Q50 and with out fail -- the sun would fall on it at critical moments thereby rendering the nav or the backup camera worthless. Drove me crazy. BTW, how did you fare in the rains? I saw pictures of rain and flooding that looked biblical.
Old 07-10-13, 07:23 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Q50, indeed, looks much better in person. It has some technology which the IS and even other competitors lack. For example the optional Direct Adaptive Steering is quite novel. Exterior wise, the car looks great except the rear end and overall, it looks less sporty than an IS. Some of the material inside the the car is actually better than the IS but for the details, IS look more exquisite and refined. The reasons for choosing the IS is the 60/40 split fold down rear seats and the renowned brand quality and familiar reliability of IS . Don't have ownership experience in Infiniti but on paper, the reliability of Infiniti cars seem to be close to that of Lexus though.
Old 07-10-13, 09:15 AM
Ntowens
Driver School Candidate

So this is a perfect thread for me to weigh in on for my first post.

I have been a loyal Infiniti owner for the last 10 years - and 3 cars (all leases).
I started with the newly introduced ’03 G35s Sedan. Before deciding though, I cross shopped it with the IS300 (along with the new Caddy CTS, and the Acura TL). I found the Infiniti at the time - to me, to be the more intriguing looking of them all. It was like no other car out there.

I turned that car in before serving a one year tour in S. Korea (I’m Active Duty Air Force) and spent that year contemplating my next lease.

So now it’s 2008. This time, I cross shopped it against the MB C350, BMW 335i, and of course the IS350. Again, I couldn’t find a better car that fit my style and budget. Bang for the buck put the G35s miles ahead (in my opinion). Also, I found the Lexus to look so much more feminine to me. This was probably fueled by the fact that EVERY IS I saw on the road (in NW Florida) had a female behind the wheel.

Jump to 2010. Infiniti reaches out, offers me an early lease turn-in/trade up - or “pull forward” program. They offered to take my ’08 a few months early, give me $1K in lease loyalty money, and allowed me to negotiate a 2010 G37s at well under invoice. I had again, looked at my options, and still couldn’t put myself in any other car. Infiniti continued to do things I liked right – and kept improving the things that I felt they fell short on.

Other cars appealed to me, for sure – but Infiniti was always the clear winner….. Until NOW!

So let me stop for a minute talking about Infiniti, and tell you (since this is a Lexus forum and all) that I have never been as impressed with the IS as I am now. I love the exterior of this car. I hated the grill on the F-Sport when it was first leaked, but it is the ONLY one I want now. It definitely grew on me. The new lines and aggressive looks are what really have me on the fence. I am in my late 30’s and still feel like I can pull off the IS350 – lol. I like the new look of the Q50 too, but I think that in comparison, I am drawn to the F-Sport when considering exterior alone.

Performance comparison: I would love to see a side-by-side, but I think it will be close enough to call it a draw for me.

So now, Interior: I will say, that the new Q’s interior (to me) is more attractive and my style. I love the tech, the two screens, and the overall asymmetrical cabin/cockpit look. Keep in mind, I am now deployed in Afghanistan, and have not been inside either car. I have heard that the Lexus’ interior looks better in person. Since I am only looking at the F-Sport, I have to compare its metal trim to what I would opt for in the Infiniti. I don’t hate it…. but man the maple trim in the Q looks just amazing (again an improvement over what I thought fell short). The best part of the Lex interior for me is the LFA inspired gauges. I haven’t seen the NuLuxe material, but I don’t really mind that it’s not “real” leather.

So all that’s left is pricing: I won’t be back into the states until Mid-October. I have already broken down the costs for each, and built them the way I want. Funny enough, the IS will only be priced out (MSRP) for about $85 more than the Q. Unfortunately, I am not getting warm fuzzies from Lexus yet - regarding getting an excellent deal (I have been offered $750 over invoice). I have however, been told by a couple of Infiniti dealers that by October, I can expect a price at or below invoice. This would make a huge difference in my decision. I like both cars – so equally, that it may come down to the deal.

I am actually rooting for Lexus! I think it may be time for a change.
Thanks for allowing me to express my thoughts, it has been somewhat cathartic. I have really been having some anxiety over choosing. I am not any closer to deciding, but I will continue to read your thoughts and am looking out for the comparisons from the “pros”.

I look forward to more interaction with you, and promise to never be this long winded again!
Old 07-10-13, 09:29 AM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ntowens
Thanks for allowing me to express my thoughts, it has been somewhat cathartic. I have really been having some anxiety over choosing. I am not any closer to deciding, but I will continue to read your thoughts and am looking out for the comparisons from the “pros”.

I look forward to more interaction with you, and promise to never be this long winded again!
Based on your whole post above, I don't think there's a wrong choice for you. They're both great cars and you'll clearly be happy with either. No need for anxiety IMO. You should enjoy the process since you know that either way you'll be getting a sweet ride. My $0.02
Old 07-10-13, 09:44 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Direct Adaptive Steering sounds like just another name for VGRS which is available in the IS350 F-Sport. VGRS can be changed between Normal and Sport+ mode in the IS350 F-Sport so the IS doesn't lose out in the steering adjustablity.

Even better, the IS350 F-Sport has AVS -- adjustable adaptive shocks which isn't available in the Q50
Old 07-10-13, 09:59 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I have been a loyal Infiniti owner for the last 10 years - and 3 cars (all leases).
I started with the newly introduced ’03 G35s Sedan. Before deciding though, I cross shopped it with the IS300 (along with the new Caddy CTS, and the Acura TL). I found the Infiniti at the time - to me, to be the more intriguing looking of them all. It was like no other car out there.

I turned that car in before serving a one year tour in S. Korea (I’m Active Duty Air Force) and spent that year contemplating my next lease.

So now it’s 2008. This time, I cross shopped it against the MB C350, BMW 335i, and of course the IS350. Again, I couldn’t find a better car that fit my style and budget. Bang for the buck put the G35s miles ahead (in my opinion). Also, I found the Lexus to look so much more feminine to me. This was probably fueled by the fact that EVERY IS I saw on the road (in NW Florida) had a female behind the wheel.

Jump to 2010. Infiniti reaches out, offers me an early lease turn-in/trade up - or “pull forward” program. They offered to take my ’08 a few months early, give me $1K in lease loyalty money, and allowed me to negotiate a 2010 G37s at well under invoice. I had again, looked at my options, and still couldn’t put myself in any other car. Infiniti continued to do things I liked right – and kept improving the things that I felt they fell short on.

Other cars appealed to me, for sure – but Infiniti was always the clear winner….. Until NOW!

So let me stop for a minute talking about Infiniti, and tell you (since this is a Lexus forum and all) that I have never been as impressed with the IS as I am now. I love the exterior of this car. I hated the grill on the F-Sport when it was first leaked, but it is the ONLY one I want now. It definitely grew on me. The new lines and aggressive looks are what really have me on the fence. I am in my late 30’s and still feel like I can pull off the IS350 – lol. I like the new look of the Q50 too, but I think that in comparison, I am drawn to the F-Sport when considering exterior alone.

Performance comparison: I would love to see a side-by-side, but I think it will be close enough to call it a draw for me.

So now, Interior: I will say, that the new Q’s interior (to me) is more attractive and my style. I love the tech, the two screens, and the overall asymmetrical cabin/cockpit look. Keep in mind, I am now deployed in Afghanistan, and have not been inside either car. I have heard that the Lexus’ interior looks better in person. Since I am only looking at the F-Sport, I have to compare its metal trim to what I would opt for in the Infiniti. I don’t hate it…. but man the maple trim in the Q looks just amazing (again an improvement over what I thought fell short). The best part of the Lex interior for me is the LFA inspired gauges. I haven’t seen the NuLuxe material, but I don’t really mind that it’s not “real” leather.

So all that’s left is pricing: I won’t be back into the states until Mid-October. I have already broken down the costs for each, and built them the way I want. Funny enough, the IS will only be priced out (MSRP) for about $85 more than the Q. Unfortunately, I am not getting warm fuzzies from Lexus yet - regarding getting an excellent deal (I have been offered $750 over invoice). I have however, been told by a couple of Infiniti dealers that by October, I can expect a price at or below invoice. This would make a huge difference in my decision. I like both cars – so equally, that it may come down to the deal.

Thank you for being of maximum service to our country. Are you talking about dealer invoice or sticker (MSRP)? You can get below MSRP on the IS. I got $1500 off and dealer & destination fees waived the 1st weekend it was released. Use the internet! Fill out multiple inquiry forms and ask for quotes in writing. Once you get a quote below invoice you can leverage that for greater savings. Be well and safe journeys.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-10-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-10-13, 10:32 AM
LexFather

Wow, great post.

Old 07-10-13, 10:43 AM
pianospike
Rookie

$750 over invoice seems like an excellent deal! That should be over $2k below MSRP depending on how it is optioned out.
Old 07-10-13, 11:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Direct Adaptive Steering sounds like just another name for VGRS which is available in the IS350 F-Sport. VGRS can be changed between Normal and Sport+ mode in the IS350 F-Sport so the IS doesn't lose out in the steering adjustablity.

Even better, the IS350 F-Sport has AVS -- adjustable adaptive shocks which isn't available in the Q50
yeah, IS actually has more advanced tech there.... so I am confused what more tech Infiniti has?

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?