IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 10:32 AM
lmsls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
To answer the op's question; steering, ride, transmission, and handling. To be fair, I tested a Q50 without the drive-by-wire steering, and without the sport suspension. Even with 17" wheels, the Q rode like a conestoga wagon (maybe it was the run-flats). The Infiniti's hydraulic steering rack (available on lower-tech, less-optioned Q50 models), it didn't feel as stable or as accurate (IMO) as the Lexus EPS. The Q's steering felt a whole lot better than the 328i though.
X2. The 3 series isn't very impressive. If Lexus had an engine to match that of the 335i, or even the 320i & 328i, I truly believe they would be on top of the compact sport luxury sedan segment.
Old 11-11-13, 10:50 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

It's all in the game guys. Not one company can have it all.

Last edited by aTeAse; 11-11-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 02:49 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The Q50 is all about it's electronics. From Business Insider. The tech is just a means to attract young buyers and to get people to upgrade. In the end it's a bunch of problems according to sources quoted in the article.

DEAR AUTOMAKERS: It's Time To Stop Pushing Your Crazy Infotainment Systems

In October, Consumer Reports issued its annual auto reliability rankings. It revoked the “recommended” status from the “otherwise excellent” 2013 Honda Accord V6, citing “notable audio-system problems.”

Read more: [http://www.businessinsider.com/the-p...ystems-2013-11

Last edited by Glashub; 11-11-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 08:48 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

There's a fine line between pushing too much technology too soon (before its ready) and not providing enough this day in age...

The Q50 takes the excessive approach, trying too do too much too soon and missing the mark on execution. 3IS does the opposite where basic luxury and even non-luxury amenities are omitted.

I can kind of understand why Infiniti is going with excess seeing that their sales aren't what they used to be, far from it and they needed something to "wow" the segment with, but as stated, they failed on execution. The Steer-By-Wire system is something that doesn't really need to be there, and probably shouldn't be there. I'm sure it took a lot of time and money to develop it, and that time/money would have been better spent ironing out all the bugs with the other technical gadgetry the vehicle has. Introducing the Steer-By-Wire system a couple years down the line would have probably been a wiser move IMO.

Last edited by Ramon; 11-14-13 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 06:23 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Now it appears that Infiniti is calling some owners and telling them not to drive their cars due to DAS problems that could put their lives at risk. Must be sad to see your new car from this angle.
Attached Thumbnails Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?-20131113_154224_zps780d9d76.jpg  

Last edited by Glashub; 11-15-13 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-15-13, 06:41 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had read somewhere that someone's battery went bad prematurely and the car couldnt start but the drive by wire system didn't allow them to turn the steering wheel at all to even push near the tow truck. Not really sure of all the small details but that to me was a HUGE turnoff to even consider this car
Old 11-15-13, 07:01 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the review i saw explained how the clutch mechanism is supposed to mechanically link the front wheels to the steering wheel if the power fails. apparently that system is in question.
personally i do not know how the hell infinity every got the DAS past the NTHSA i think there are just some things you should really never remove the mechanical link from the driver. steering is definitely one of them.
other manufacturers have managed to provide the desired feedback and turning response using mechanical means. so why didn't infinity?
i agree with the above they should have spent that R&D doing something else to the car to make it a better car.
Old 11-15-13, 07:48 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
the review i saw explained how the clutch mechanism is supposed to mechanically link the front wheels to the steering wheel if the power fails. apparently that system is in question. personally i do not know how the hell infinity every got the DAS past the NTHSA i think there are just some things you should really never remove the mechanical link from the driver. steering is definitely one of them. other manufacturers have managed to provide the desired feedback and turning response using mechanical means. so why didn't infinity? i agree with the above they should have spent that R&D doing something else to the car to make it a better car.
Playing the devils advocate here.... I can imagine the same thing was said when drive by wire was introduced, but that has been proven reliable. It's all a result of car companies trying to one-up each other with the latest tech. I'll keep my mechanical steering though, lol.

I also found this interesting....
Attached Thumbnails Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?-image-3631215748.jpg  
Old 11-15-13, 11:45 PM
machmike
Driver School Candidate

Oh man how close. These are both excellent cars. There isn't a clear winner between the two. For me it came down to some of the most basic items. I was so close in fact, while driving to finalize the order for the F Sport, I decided to stop and drive the Q50S again one last time. After driving the Q50S and the IS350 F sport about 4x each I wanted to be sure. Following that drive, I started driving back down to the Lexus dealership to buy the F sport and stopped in Fredrick and turned around. I knew I made the right decision at that point to change my mind.

No matter how much I drove the IS350 I kept having very fond memories of the Q50 interior and overall functionality.

What did I like about both?

1) Speed. Both cars are fast.
2) Reliability - Both Cars power plants have excellent reputations.
3) Service and ownership options through dealership
4) Looks - Both cars are very stunning in their own right. Both definitely look better in person than in pictures.
5) Luxury - Both are top notch. They focus on different pieces of driver experience
6) Stick to the road handling. I drove the ***** off of both cars. They perform amazing. No difference in off the track handling. Real world driving is a draw both have their strong points.
7) Seats. Both cars had excellent seating. IS was better though.

Why Q50 barely eeeked out the IS350 F?
1) The ability to choose the colors and interior I wanted. (Lexus totally screwed up here IMO, the F Sports are cookie cutter cars, just a few region specific combinations) I wanted an atomic silver f sport.with X,Y and Z I was hamstrung by options....sigh...
2) The ability to choose the packages I wanted. See above. Why Lexus.....why?
3) A bit more room! The Q50 is much less cramped. The back seats have more room and can fit a backward infant car seat with a grown adult in the front seat. You don't sit nearly as low.
4) Warranty - Better on the Q50 (Although it shouldn't matter with the Lexus track record).
5) Better MPG
6) The ability to buy at invoice! The F Sport can't be found below or at invoice. I got the Q50S AWD $500 below invoice. A HUGE savings.
7) Adaptive AWD on the Q50.
8) Stock stereo better in Q50. The Lexus ML is much better, but you get into the 51k rang to get it in here in CO.
9) AWD vs RWD you lose some technology on the Lexus. None on the Q50.
10) Q50S was much more bang for the buck.
11) Better visibility in Q50
12) mobile phone application to monitor car and valets etc.
13) Fog lights.
14) The Q50 sounded better. lol i know...
15) 19" wheels. The Q50S wheels look better IMO. Although the 5 Spoke IS350 wheels on the non-F are great!
16) looks, the Q50 is a great looking car. I don't like the rear quarters of the IS as much.

I wound up getting my Q50S AWD with Navigation (no DAS) and some other stuff for: 43.5k. I couldn't touch an F Sport for anywhere within 4k with the same options and packages. I got the color combinations i wanted (unlike the Lexus) and an over all better value. I also thought the Q50 was a little less refined and had more soul. But god why did Infiniti choose run flats?

I think the Q50 looks better. But you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by machmike; 11-15-13 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 11:52 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by machmike
Oh man how close. These are both excellent cars. There isn't a clear winner between the two. For me it came down to some of the most basic items. I was so close in fact, while driving to finalize the order for the F Sport, I decided to stop and drive the Q50S again one last time. After driving the Q50S and the IS350 F sport about 4x each I wanted to be sure. Following that drive, I started driving back down to the Lexus dealership to buy the F sport and stopped in Fredrick and turned around. I knew I made the right decision at that point to change my mind.

No matter how much I drove the IS350 I kept having very fond memories of the Q50 interior and overall functionality.

What did I like about both?

1) Speed. Both cars are fast.
2) Reliability - Both Cars power plants have excellent reputations.
3) Service and ownership options through dealership
4) Looks - Both cars are very stunning in their own right. Both definitely look better in person than in pictures.
5) Luxury - Both are top notch. They focus on different pieces of driver experience
6) Stick to the road handling. I drove the ***** off of both cars. They perform amazing. No difference in off the track handling. Real world driving is a draw both have their strong points.
7) Seats. Both cars had excellent seating. IS was better though.

Why Q50 barely eeeked out the IS350 F?
1) The ability to choose the colors and interior I wanted. (Lexus totally screwed up here IMO, the F Sports are cookie cutter cars, just a few region specific combinations) I wanted an atomic silver f sport.with X,Y and Z I was hamstrung by options....sigh...
2) The ability to choose the packages I wanted. See above. Why Lexus.....why?
3) A bit more room! The Q50 is much less cramped. The back seats have more room and can fit a backward infant car seat with a grown adult in the front seat. You don't sit nearly as low.
4) Warranty - Better on the Q50 (Although it shouldn't matter with the Lexus track record).
5) Better MPG
6) The ability to buy at invoice! The F Sport can't be found below or at invoice. I got the Q50S AWD $500 below invoice. A HUGE savings.
7) Adaptive AWD on the Q50.
8) Stock stereo better in Q50. The Lexus ML is much better, but you get into the 51k rang to get it in here in CO.
9) AWD vs RWD you lose some technology on the Lexus. None on the Q50.
10) Q50S was much more bang for the buck.
11) Better visibility in Q50
12) mobile phone application to monitor car and valets etc.
13) Fog lights.
14) The Q50 sounded better. lol i know...
15) 19" wheels. The Q50S wheels look better IMO. Although the 5 Spoke IS350 wheels on the non-F are great!
16) looks, the Q50 is a great looking car. I don't like the rear quarters of the IS as much.

I wound up getting my Q50S AWD with Navigation (no DAS) and some other stuff for: 43.5k. I couldn't touch an F Sport for anywhere within 4k with the same options and packages. I got the color combinations i wanted (unlike the Lexus) and an over all better value. I also thought the Q50 was a little less refined and had more soul. But god why did Infiniti choose run flats?

I think the Q50 looks better. But you can't go wrong with either one.

that looks like the inventory garage at Kuni lexus in denver
Old 11-16-13, 12:02 AM
machmike
Driver School Candidate

It is!

Those guys are awesome. I was so impressed I felt like i was cheating on them when I decided to go with a Q50s. I highly suggest them to anyone looking for a Lexus.
Old 11-16-13, 12:09 AM
machmike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I had read somewhere that someone's battery went bad prematurely and the car couldnt start but the drive by wire system didn't allow them to turn the steering wheel at all to even push near the tow truck. Not really sure of all the small details but that to me was a HUGE turnoff to even consider this car
You can just avoid the DAS option. I wouldn't let that keep anyone away from the q50 its a great car just like the IS350F. The DAS has a fully physical backup system FYI in case you didn't know.
Old 11-19-13, 01:53 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by machmike
You can just avoid the DAS option. I wouldn't let that keep anyone away from the q50 its a great car just like the IS350F. The DAS has a fully physical backup system FYI in case you didn't know.
Problem with the Infiniti, in my mind, was that you could NOT avoid the QAS system if you wanted either a hybrid (which I wouldn't have minded) or 60/40 folding rear seats in a non-hybrid (which I definitely wanted).
Old 11-19-13, 03:55 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Was sure I was going to get the IS350 F Sport AWD until I sat in a Q50.

The Lexus has a $40k-$50k interior but the Infiniti has a $60k interior. It is just a notch above in terms of luxury and a sense of premium.
Old 12-13-13, 05:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

As echoed above, here's one serious reason NOT to get the Q50S with the direct adaptive steering (DAS). Several recent complaints already on steering lockup and unresponsiveness. This is scary:

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/pro...aution-23.html

Quick Reply: Why did you choose an IS over a Q50?