IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 08:40 PM
jay631987
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HIDPH
I got my F-Sport last 2 days and mounted it with 3M adhesive (with only the top half of the plate with tape) and it was firmly mounted (no brackets, no drilling). =)
dude I'm thinking to go with this method...where did you put it? if on the side bumper are both surfaces flat? I havent checked but my gut feeling is the back surface of the dealer license plate holder is not flat...
Old 04-14-14, 02:27 PM
Kitten
Driver School Candidate

Can someone show me how much damage is on the car if the dealer installed front license plates?

Initially, I told them to not install the front ones but I'm thinking if it doesn't look too ugly I may just get them done anyway...protect the front a bit if anything should happen heh

Thanks~!
Old 04-15-14, 05:37 AM
Moridan
Driver School Candidate

I refuse to ruin the front looks of the car with a license plate. I asked the dealer to leave it off. I had my previous car (350Z) for nearly 10 years without a front plate and I think I had a cop "mention" it to me twice in all of that time. And that "mention" was something to the likes of, "oh, and put a front plate on". And that was that. The salesperson at my dealership had a great idea, and that was to keep the plate on the bracket but in the trunk. If you ever get pulled over and asked about it, you say that it fell off and you were bringing it to the dealer to re-installed.
Old 04-15-14, 08:36 AM
Kitten
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kitten
Can someone show me how much damage is on the car if the dealer installed front license plates?

Initially, I told them to not install the front ones but I'm thinking if it doesn't look too ugly I may just get them done anyway...protect the front a bit if anything should happen heh

Thanks~!
May someone please answer this question? Need to see how it is soon so I can make a decision. Thanks!
Old 04-15-14, 08:56 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May someone please answer this question? Need to see how it is soon so I can make a decision. Thanks!
Just install a tow hook license plate holder, keeps your car clean ($50-80). I have one and don't even use it to be honest. My car does not have the holes, which was my purchase criteria. If I ever get a fix-it ticket, I'll just install the tow hook plate and pay the fine.
Old 04-15-14, 10:02 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SilentWish
finally found a flat smoke cover

this was what i was talking about
still in the way, but a bit better

Couldn't they still pull you over for having something obstructing the front license plate? It's totally BS but it's still an excuse for them to pull you over. Happened to a friend of mine.
Old 04-15-14, 10:06 AM
Unicorn
Driver School Candidate

3M or Zip tie, personal prefer zip tie.
Old 04-15-14, 02:09 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get a Sto N Sho license plate bracket. It's automated too. Look it up on youtubel
Old 04-15-14, 02:16 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Sorry, I meant Show-N-Go
Old 04-15-14, 03:30 PM
WiLz
Driver

Thanks~!
Are you looking for something like this?
Originally Posted by Jack1995
Here you go Dangla1603 More pics from the front

Attachment 324079

Attachment 324080
It'll basically just be 2 small holes on the black part of the bumper. They then give you a plastic bracket that screws into those holes. The holes do seem a bit more obvious on non-F-Sports, since the holes are on the smooth plastic piece, versus the F-Sport where it is more hidden by the fake mesh pattern. If later you decide to take the plate off, you can plug the holes with bumper plugs to make them less apparent, but it'll never look as good as if you didn't have holes in the first place.
Old 04-15-14, 07:13 PM
Kitten
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WiLz
Are you looking for something like this?

It'll basically just be 2 small holes on the black part of the bumper. They then give you a plastic bracket that screws into those holes. The holes do seem a bit more obvious on non-F-Sports, since the holes are on the smooth plastic piece, versus the F-Sport where it is more hidden by the fake mesh pattern. If later you decide to take the plate off, you can plug the holes with bumper plugs to make them less apparent, but it'll never look as good as if you didn't have holes in the first place.
Thanks, Wilz! That actually gives me a pretty good idea of how it would look...kinda ugly especially since I will be getting the nonfsport. It looks better without it but I'm wondering if I should keep it there for protection....decisions decisions...
Old 06-17-14, 07:59 PM
dommyd33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JonTheFish
Just like dojoman, mine came with it already drilled in. I took it off (holes aren't noticeable) and will just worry about it if I get pulled over/get a ticket. It looks way better without it IMO.

On my previous vehicle, I actually had a parking enforcement officer leave a ticket on the windshield for me for not having a front plate attached. Until then, I thought you had to be pulled over for it.
Just curious, did the holes go through any part of the actual grill or just in-between the gaps? I just ordered a 350 white/with red and the idea of a front license plate on the grill kills me, but i'm almost positive it's going to come with the holes and bracket already in place (i'm in ny). I figured taking them off would be no big deal with the mesh grill, but if you could post any pics of the spot where your bracket was so i could see how it looks with the holes (if any) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-17-14, 10:51 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank god I am not required to have a front license plate where I live...
Old 07-10-14, 07:29 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

I just use zip tie. I didn't want to spend $$$ to get a tow hook and plus it looks off with tow hook mount. Here is the picture.

How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)-zyuwjbq.jpg

Last edited by IS3Fguy; 07-11-14 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-10-14, 07:36 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Picture added. Sorry forgot to attach the picture.

Quick Reply: How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)