IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Dealer Prep on 3IS Delivery?
Yes - I trust their meticulous work and expect a flawless car on pickup.
86.67%
No - I do not trust their work and/or I prefer being the first to work on my car.
13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Dealer Prep on 3IS Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 07:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Dealer Prep on 3IS Delivery

For the delivery of your new 3IS, will you have the dealer remove all exterior and interior film, wash, and wax the car?
Old 07-06-13, 07:57 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always see the car prior to the dealer prepping it and then enjoy going back to get it and seeing it in a pristine condition
Old 07-06-13, 08:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I've always had the dealer prep my new cars but from past servicings of my RX and CT, I always find the washing could be better, interior shiny surfaces are left with specks of dried dirty water stains, and I seem to find fine scratches both in and out that I hadn't noticed before. Scratches on the inside like on the clear plastic over the gauges and radio/clock. The problem is, this is tough to complain about since 1. it's so minor and "normal" they'll look at you like you're from another planet, and 2. you can't prove they did it...

Our fellow forum member AndyL has kindly shared offline with me concerns on scratches and swirl marks the dealer risks introducing that may be initially masked from the waxing which might "surface" down the road... I feel this is a valid point especially on Obsidian. In addition, is the shiny center console an invitation for the dealer to introduce the first tiny scratch or swirl mark thanks to a not-so-clean rag? Maybe I'm just paranoid...
Attached Thumbnails Dealer Prep on 3IS Delivery-2014-lexus-is-350-f-sport-center-console-1024x660.jpg  

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-06-13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-06-13, 09:55 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them do it. That way if its scratched somewhere they have to fix it.
Old 07-06-13, 11:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Delivery detailing is much different than what takes place during car servicing. There's some misconception here. New car delivery goes through a different regime and is held to a higher standard than what happens when you take your car in for an oil change and get the free wash.

To fear having tape and plastic removed is silly, as I've never heard of a car getting damage from that. In fact, I've never heard of a dealer allowing a customer to personaly remove that stuff. It's a simple and easy process.
Old 07-07-13, 01:03 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@corradoMR2

The center dash has a semi matte finish. It doesn't feel it will be easily scratched.

I have always had my dealer send the car to a proper detailer for exterior/interior treatment after they have done the prep work. The result has been great.
Old 07-07-13, 12:03 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Delivery detailing is much different than what takes place during car servicing. There's some misconception here. New car delivery goes through a different regime and is held to a higher standard than what happens when you take your car in for an oil change and get the free wash.

To fear having tape and plastic removed is silly, as I've never heard of a car getting damage from that. In fact, I've never heard of a dealer allowing a customer to personaly remove that stuff. It's a simple and easy process.

Welcome to 2008...... My Special Order was taken with NO DEALER PREP..!!

See my post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3432753-post53.html

For me it was more about the proper First Wash & Dry with all brand new products..
After I unwrapped & washed it, it went in for Clear Bra.

Either way if you know who your dealing with at a Dealership, you can get just about anything you want..

- Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-07-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 07:11 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

For me it was more about the proper First Wash & Dry with all brand new products..

Either way if you know who your dealing with at a Dealership, you can get just about anything you want..

- Joe Z

Good link and picture. The pictures look too familiar Driving a car with white protective plastics looks very weird though.

Clear bra is a good reason why I would prefer no detailing prep from the dealership. I need to prep the car with the clay, polish and wax that I normal use, prior to the clear bra installation. There is no point in wasting the dealership time or reinventing the wheels.

Hi CorradoMR2, seeking an opinion on whether or not a new owner chooses to let the dealership to prep the car before delivery is quite tricky. It is because by Lexus corporate policy, they have to prep your car. Reasons is customers can argue with the dealership for any scratches on the car. It is a pretty much the normal and standard way to protect both parties (dealership and the new car owner).

Additionally, it really depends on how the car owner views a new car. It is a personal thing. A lot of people don't see or don't mind the surface scratches/hairline scratches/swirls. They just enjoy the car for what they are. They may think that down the road, surface scratches are just wear and tear.

Only the picky owners or people who are extremely meticulous that can spot the slightest imperfection. Pretty much this is minority and some members in the forum fall into this category which may not represent the majority.

Normally dealerships won't scratch a car because of detailing process. However, creating hairline scratches is another thing. It is also up to the dealership who agrees to have no prep in a new car. If going for the no prep route, you really have to look at a dirty car with wraps carefully and take the risk of any paint problem under the white protective wraps.

I hope I don't offend anyone.
Old 07-07-13, 07:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

AndyL, good point on hidden scratches that could have occurred during transport. Makes total sense for the dealer to assume this risk - heck, as you know, us folks in Canada pay a fotune ($2K) for prep and transport
Old 07-07-13, 07:32 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
AndyL, good point on hidden scratches that could have occurred during transport. Makes total sense for the dealer to assume this risk - heck, as you know, us folks in Canada pay a fotune ($2K) for prep and transport
Actually if the white protective film remains normal with peeling, any hidden scratches or light swirls are less likely to occur on a Toyota or Lexus. Rather I have seen paint dust and paint problems. Or temporary trapped moisture which will be gone under the sun after a week or so. (For black cars you won't see those strange trapped moisture anyway)
Old 07-07-13, 07:33 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I'll let the dealer do the prep just in ensure that if there are any issues with the car or the finish that they are documented before I drive it off the lot. Looking at the cars in the showroom I don't think I have much to worry about with damage from that process.

But the first trip for the car will be my garage where I will run the polisher over it and apply Opti-coat 2.0. Then a clear bra. Hopefully there is a kit by the time I buy. Tint will be next.
Old 07-07-13, 10:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

- Joe Z
If I saw such a car driving down the street, far away from any dealership, with white transport tape on it, I'd likely be calling 911 and reporting a stolen vehicle. hehe I think you are in the extreme with that. But I must admit I did enjoy dealer prepping a new Jetta loaner that the dealer hastily pulled out of the storage lot to get me some last minute wheels. CLEAN is what you find under the wraps, as it doesn't get any fresher than that.