IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New 3IS Overpriced?

Old 07-03-13, 02:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Farjamed
I agree with you guys, that they are all up from years past.. but I guess my biggest problem with it, is that a loaded G37 (328HP) is just under 45K. The similar IS350 is just over 48. Thats a big difference, especially since the G37 is also a quality, reliable car. I do like the styling of the Lexus over the G37, and soon to be Q50, but still, the G37 is a very highly regarded car. I guess I will either wait a few months to see if I can get an IS350 with Lux/NAV/ML below 45, go for a base 350 with just the 5 spoke wheels and maybe premium package, or test drive a loaded up 250. I have always had Japanese cars, and as much as I want a German car, I just dont think I trust them on reliability.
G37 loaded is $52k, not $45k.
Old 07-03-13, 03:09 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't think the 3IS is over priced either. It's priced accordingly to its competitors and it's brand new.

Btw if you're looking at a G37 sedan with sport/premium/nav packages, you can do WAY better than 45k.

Just did a quick TMV on Edmunds for a 13 G37 with s/p/n - 39k. With the Q50 right around the corner, you could probably do even better than that.

Last edited by LH1; 07-03-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-03-13, 03:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by D&G
I would buy the CLA 45 AMG over the IS350 AWD.
Same basic car though, still basically a FWD drivetrain, still smaller, same basic interior fittings...
Old 07-03-13, 03:59 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you build a 335 to have the same features as an IS350 F Sport Navi/ML (the one I would get), the 335 is 54k while the IS would be 48k. Even doing the same spec with a 328 is still a few grand over the 350.
Old 07-03-13, 04:04 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

And don't forget that each day you wait for a better deal -- the lower the value of your current ride.
Old 07-04-13, 09:17 AM
palidino
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

335i base is 51k
is350 base is 44k
infiniti base is 44k
i configured the bmw =60k
i configured the lexus with similar options 49k
i configured the infiniti q50 with similar options 48k
all 3 are rwd.
Old 07-04-13, 09:42 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Hard to do an apple to apple comparison. The Q50 has some cool tech but no way to adjust the suspension from eco, normal, sport. You get some things but lose others. I think though that the Q50 is going to look odd in person. The car looks really nose heavy and it looks like a Nissan basically with some whoopdewhoo.

But you're right with features approximately like an F-sport it's about 1K less.
Old 07-04-13, 09:56 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Go drive a Volvo s60 and see if you like it

That being said, you just identified one of Lexus/Acura/Infinitis biggest drawback in their pricing structure vs BMW/MB. The Japanese tend to lump options together into packages, and they require going up in tiers to get certain options. The Germans offer more a la carte options, but then people ***** that they get nickle and dimed on common options. Cadillac has an intermediate pricing structure, with come items in packages, but you can still get some options as stand alone on lower trims, like an ATS base with CUE and sunroof, but no luxury package.
Old 07-04-13, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
H I think though that the Q50 is going to look odd in person.
I dunno...IMHO the Q50 is a great looking car...
Old 07-04-13, 10:28 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
Hard to do an apple to apple comparison. The Q50 has some cool tech but no way to adjust the suspension from eco, normal, sport. You get some things but lose others. I think though that the Q50 is going to look odd in person. The car looks really nose heavy and it looks like a Nissan basically with some whoopdewhoo.

But you're right with features approximately like an F-sport it's about 1K less.
This is true when you compare Q50 and the IS350 RWD/AWD F-Sport.

Actually for IS, the suspension setting remains the same if you switch between eco, normal and sport. So only the IS that is equipped with AVS (I.e. IS350 RWD/AWD) will have the stiffened suspension in the Sport+ mode.

If you just compare an IS350AWD (regular or F Sport) to a Q50 AWD, thing gets interesting.

I was told that for Q50 AWD, the torque is 98% on the rear and 2% on the rear after the speed reaches 18mph (not exactly sure the figure is correct but it is around that speed) on a smooth road. . It means essentially a Q50 AWD will behave like a RWD whereas the IS350 AWD is 30/70 (F/R). Also in AWD configuration, the IS lacks VGRS but the Q50 still has the Direct Adaptive Steering.

It is the look, feel and the familiarity that makes me choose the 3IS over the Q50. It is embarrassing to see the Q50 has exterior lighting completely on LED, front and back ( including front fog and reverse light) whereas I still need to mod a 3IS.

It is interesting to see Infiniti has not spent much marketing in the Q50 despite it is available for delivery in just a few months (Canada case).

Lexus has really spent a lot of marketing for the IS. We have been enjoying various versions of ADs in different countries. Good job, Lexus.

Last edited by AndyL; 07-04-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-04-13, 11:12 AM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you are that hung up on value, the best value you would find right now is probably on a 2013 lexus IS, which is stripped of the bells and whistles that you arent looking for anyway. IMO, get a leftover and pocket 5k+.

to reiterate - lexus has spent a boat load marketing the 2014. dont be surprised if you could get a leftover 2013 heavily slashed. stumble around your local lexus dealership every now and then over the next month or two. once the ratio of 2014 IS : 2013 IS reaches 90:10, then you could be a benefit of the liquidation. have at it!!

Last edited by ThermonMer; 07-04-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-04-13, 11:12 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Farjamed
Hi,
I am new to the forum but have been reading it lately as I am looking to buy a new car and the new IS is at the top of my list. Up until Monday I was unsure of the pricing structure as there was no build your own for the new IS up on the website and the way Lexus groups and names its options and packages is a little confusing imo. So to get to my point.. I wanted a 350 with the Mark Levinson sound system. That really is the only option I care to add as all the blindspot monitoring, park assist, nav, etc, etc is all just junk I will not use. That blindspot monitoring especially is annoying as when I test drove it was always flashing even when there was not a car in my blindspot. Seems like its more likely to cause a wreck making you second guess yourself, but thats another topic all to itself. To get the ML audio, I would need to add it with the Nav package, which then requires either the f-sport package, or the luxury package, both of which have tons of features I don't want. Either way it would come out to $48K give or take a couple hundred depending on whether I choose F-sport of Luxury. $48K for this car seems outrageous to me. A G37 fully loaded (sport package, premium, nav) is <45K. Switching to a 250 and loading it up as I want seems ridiculous to me too because it would still come out to about 44-45, for 200HP??

Thoughts? The engines are hold overs and not very efficient either. Its not like the car itself has very much new equipment on it so I dont understand what Lexus is thinking pricing them they way they did. Does anyone else think this?

Also, I know they are brand new right now so little to no discount off MSRP in a few months, what percentage off MSRP do you all think I should be able to get? If I can get the IS350 with fsport/ML-Nav or Lux/ML-Nav under 45, especially under 44 I would be willing to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your input.
James
I think some of the people here missed your point, and that is largely due to the Lexus configurator. The Lexus online configurator is garbage. Unlike the other car makes, it does not allow you to truly "custom build" your car, it only give you those predefined options.

You can indeed build the car the way you want to, but you have to do the math yourself and order through the dealer. The Lexus configurator is set up to show popularly-equipped options and groups. As the fine print on the Lexus site says, if you want fewer/different/no options, talk to your dealer. That's what I would/am going to do. Granted, some features are only available with the Tech or Lux packager, etc. but if you want an IS350 with no other options besides the Park Assist, for example, you can totally get that in real life, but the online configurator does not show you that it's possible. I think Lexus probably has the fewest factory-ordered cars out of any of its competitors, so they don't bother setting up the configurator to truly display all the possible combinations.

IMO, the IS is not overpriced. A fully-loaded non-F Sport 350 is around $48k. You can't even get a loaded 328i for that money. In its segment, the 3 IS is where it's at! New cars "seem" expensive, but play with an inflation calculator. You're actually getting so much more for your money these days! Compare a $48k 2014 IS to any $48K (when new) 2004 BMW for kicks.

But the perception these days is that $50k is the new $30k....

Last edited by SecPole14; 07-04-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-04-13, 11:35 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting that the Q50 is not ready for testing professionally yet but is starting to show up on lots. In Hollywood no reviews or review just prior to release means a troubled movie.
Old 07-05-13, 11:45 AM
Farjamed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I think some of the people here missed your point, and that is largely due to the Lexus configurator. The Lexus online configurator is garbage. Unlike the other car makes, it does not allow you to truly "custom build" your car, it only give you those predefined options.

But the perception these days is that $50k is the new $30k....
You are correct. That is another problem I was getting at. The "Build your own" on the Lexus site is TERRIBLE. Besides the fact that it doesnt show you whats actually possible, it varies based on zip code (which in real life is also, not the case as far as whats available) and there are also errors. Right now it shows Red as the only interior color option if you select f-sport (in my zip code anyway) and if I try to select the atomic silver with the flaxen interior and then select one of three pre-defined packages it says "There has been a problem and Luxury Package with Linear Brown Wood Interior Trim with Additional Options is not currently available." Very annoying.

I do personally think it is a bit overpriced, *for what I want* (really the only thing I want over base 350 is the 5 spoke wheels and the ML system) compared to other vehicles in this category, but I can see how everyone is saying the upcoming models will most likely match it. I definitely would not consider buying an outgoing model(although the A5 is gorgeous and very tempting), so my options in the next 6 months are the 3IS, Q50 (not really as don't like the exterior and that new touchscreen interior looks terrible. give me real buttons please... unless its a Tesla) BMW 4 (I am partial to coupes but so far it looks like they really went cheap on the details of the 4 and its EXPENSIVE for what it is). Lexus looks like the front runner for me mainly because its a brand new model, Lexus quality, aggressive exterior, beautiful interior.

Someone else mentioned an Accord earlier, and that was my first car. I kept it for 13 years and wow it is hard to beat for value. My sister recently bought a loaded new Accord sedan and the side camera that displays your blindspot in the nav screen when the right side blinker is activated is awesome. I wish more companies adopted that because of all the blind spot monitors, this is the best I have used. Totally agree though they are boring and too common, but for those who don't mind, they are tough to beat.

Thanks for all the replies guys!
Old 07-06-13, 07:36 AM
slownlow07
Driver

You get what you pay for....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 3IS Overpriced?