IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lane Changing Ride and Drive Event

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-13, 05:04 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
The coupon can only be transferred to immediate family member residing at the same address. Also, it is used like cash. You negotiate your best deal and then the coupon is applied. It is $1000.00 from Lexus Corporate and does not affect a dealer or their margin. For those of us that have ordered, it is a free 1K upon delivery.
That sounds like sweet incentive! How do they know which coupon is for which address? Since they don't have any events like that near me it just doesn't seem fair that they don't offer at least ability to obtain the coupon to those who are purchasing the new IS.
Old 10-03-13, 05:13 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
That sounds like sweet incentive! How do they know which coupon is for which address? Since they don't have any events like that near me it just doesn't seem fair that they don't offer at least ability to obtain the coupon to those who are purchasing the new IS.
go to DMV and get your address changed temporarily
Old 10-03-13, 09:35 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kabgolf1
You will be quite surprised at the quality of the event. Lexus put on a first rate production. I attended the Boston event. Lexus even sent me two $1000 coupons to use. One for the RX I had picked up the following day and one for my IS on order.
For those that attended, should I get their early or I can't really do anything until my appointment time. I've registered for 9:30am.
Old 10-04-13, 02:16 AM
Deetaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
For those that attended, should I get their early or I can't really do anything until my appointment time. I've registered for 9:30am.
I had a 7:45am time for the San Mateo event back in June, and got there about 20 minutes early. They were serving breakfast and had a few variations of the IS to explore. The simulator was available and there were a couple of displays to look at. Also got a free lexus hat and copies of a few car magazines that featured the IS. All that was before they pull the group away for a presentation and then they take you out to the track. So if you want to check all that out, it's probably a good idea to go a bit early and also get through registration faster.
Old 10-04-13, 04:02 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
The coupon is specifically sent with your name and address on it.
Old 10-04-13, 06:22 AM
Stitch626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I leased my 350 f sport on Saturday and missed this event 2xs offered in Miami. While I regret not going and receiving the extra 1k I am even more happy about the car. Nice to hear the stories from those who attended
Old 10-04-13, 10:51 AM
TakaM
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Deetaa
I had a 7:45am time for the San Mateo event back in June, and got there about 20 minutes early. They were serving breakfast and had a few variations of the IS to explore. The simulator was available and there were a couple of displays to look at. Also got a free lexus hat and copies of a few car magazines that featured the IS. All that was before they pull the group away for a presentation and then they take you out to the track. So if you want to check all that out, it's probably a good idea to go a bit early and also get through registration faster.
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I needed to kow. My wife and I'll get their bit early to check things out. I'll report back when all is done.
Old 10-05-13, 06:14 PM
TakaM
Driver

Attend the San Diego's event at Petco park. Overall, it was a good event. Got there around 9am (had 9:30 registration) so there were only few people doing the autocross. Both wife and I got to drive all of the Lexus plus I drove the Audi A4, BMW 328, and the Mercedes C-class. They also did a good job on setting up a course on a very limited space parking lot.

The only disappointment was that it was not a timed event (people just drove the course) and no LFA to gawk at. After the autocrossing, they directed us to "Lexus Home Plate Club" at Petco Park where we got to enjoy breakfast and lunch in a restaurant setting (we got there at 11am, so they had both breakfast and lunch). We also received the free San Diego Padre's hat. We also bumped into the Padre (SD Padre's Mascot) so my wife took picture with him which was cool. We didn't get the $1K coupon (not a big deal since I got it via e-mail much earlier before registering this event).

I really appreciated Lexus inviting us to a very well organized event. My wife now understands driving the right "line" and how timing of the braking should be to go fast. We'll definitely have the IS as our consideration as we will be in the market for new car within next 1 to 2 years.

Definitely register if you do get an invite.
Old 10-06-13, 04:23 PM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

$1000 coupon ?
I asked everyone there and no one knew anything about the coupon.

Makes me want to look elsewhere....
Old 10-06-13, 05:10 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by 4sallypat
$1000 coupon ?
I asked everyone there and no one knew anything about the coupon.

Makes me want to look elsewhere....
Wait....you're going to give up the opportunity to have a 3IS because you didn't get a generous $1000 coupon?
Old 10-07-13, 08:08 AM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by G8rGirl
Wait....you're going to give up the opportunity to have a 3IS because you didn't get a generous $1000 coupon?
Well when my local dealer (Longo Lexus) said I should attend, test drive the IS against the competitors, and get a $1000 coupon which would really sweeten the deal already offered by my dealer, I thought sure.

So I took the 2 hour drive, stayed overnight and somewhat enjoyed the ride and drive event.

But when you ask the folks at the Ride & Drive event if they have the coupons - they said they have no idea.

How poorly trained are those folks - are they actually Lexus employees or contracted temps for the day ?

Interestingly, I found the IS to be too small for me anyway - I am coming from a 335 BMW so the IS was smaller than my BMW.

I wanted a slightly larger car like a 5 series and wished Lexus had the ES300h on display to compare - but none to be seen...

And a final insult was this event had an Audi A4 S Line Premium Plus car which had the Drive Select feature which makes it a top of the A4 line and blew away the Lexus. The A4 unsprung suspension, taut steering, and awesome throttle & exhaust note made everyone turn their heads to see the gorgeous A4 in action.

Seeing that the BMW and Merc cars were the basic stripped versions, I really thought Lexus did not plan the choice of the Audi.

I am actually considering an Audi over the Lexus because of the event.
Old 10-07-13, 12:39 PM
TakaM
Driver

Originally Posted by 4sallypat

How poorly trained are those folks - are they actually Lexus employees or contracted temps for the day ?

And a final insult was this event had an Audi A4 S Line Premium Plus car which had the Drive Select feature which makes it a top of the A4 line and blew away the Lexus. The A4 unsprung suspension, taut steering, and awesome throttle & exhaust note made everyone turn their heads to see the gorgeous A4 in action.

I am actually considering an Audi over the Lexus because of the event.
They're actually marketing company hired by Lexus (subcontract). Doesn't give excuse for not providing adequate training but since you asked.....

I thought A4 had significant turbo lag and the brake fade was apparent on both A4 and C-class.
BMW 2.8 engine was very responsive and almost neck and neck with the lexus 3.5 which impressed me. Suspension wise, I though Lexus was much better than all three. C-class didn't belong in this comparison as it's not meant for autocrossing.
Old 10-07-13, 01:09 PM
Supermuku
Rookie

so there was no timed autocross event with the winner getting a hot lap in the LFA? did the pro drivers give any hotlaps in any of the cars?

the san diego event seemed to be a little different from rest of the tour. maybe Petco Park did not have enough room in the parking lot...or maybe the LFA broke down
Old 10-07-13, 05:11 PM
stupenal
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when I asked the coordinators at the dodger stadium event if there were any more locations and dates this year, they said the dodger stadium one was the last one of the year. when i said i thought there was one in SD at Petco park, the guy said maybe? he didn't seem to know anything about it.

not sure if maybe they subcontracted to another group to host the SD event. Doesn't make sense since the group that did the LA even said they had done something like 11-12 events throughout the year. that being said - i would call the lexus events phone number and ask about the $1,000 certificate. who knows maybe they'll throw you a bone.
Old 10-07-13, 06:08 PM
4sallypat
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Supermuku
so there was no timed autocross event with the winner getting a hot lap in the LFA? did the pro drivers give any hotlaps in any of the cars?

the san diego event seemed to be a little different from rest of the tour. maybe Petco Park did not have enough room in the parking lot...or maybe the LFA broke down
Yup, this event was not like the others held at Angel Stadium or elsewhere. Others have talked and said this event at Petco park was a small version without the other Lexus cars on display (only IS cars) and no LFA or pro to talk to...

As a matter of fact, there was no professional person at all - I had to ask how to go around the course by myself. I thought a pro was going to be driving the car to show off the car (RIDE) then I would get to drive it myself (DRIVE) but this event was not even organized.

Their lunch location was a half mile walk in the hot sun to the stadium from the parking lot.

As for the Audi A4, it was superb - I loved the handling and nimble agile ability. Almost want to buy that car that was used in the event for a discount. As I said, the Lexus IS cabin is too small for me - feels like my BMW E90.

I contacted my Lexus dealer and he said he has no control over the $1000 coupon which would have made the car below invoice. Bummer - Lexus lost a sale because they could not deliver a simple manufacturer's coupon.

So I contacted my Audi dealer and he said I need to do a custom production build as the A4 I want - no one has in the entire west coast! Audi dealer quoted me invoice + $250 for a custom built: 2014 A4 w/ S Line, MMI Navigation, Premium Plus, Sport Package, & Side Assist. $43K cap cost with an awesome 57% residual and 1.2% money factor.

Quick Reply: Lane Changing Ride and Drive Event