Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First Test: 2014 Lexus IS 350 AWD

Motor Trend --

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wd_first_test/
Old 06-25-13, 02:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Glitches with the infotainment aside on the pre-production model they tested, they loved the car. As for any doubters on the quality of the interior:

"There is no question about the interior's attractiveness. It shares some cues from the equally lovely GS interior, most notably the center air vents and analogue clock that form a horizontal bar that separates the infotainment screen from the controls. Materials and fitment look and feel exceptional, and the layout gives the car a personality and character unique to Lexus –that's a first. "
Old 06-25-13, 02:54 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a glowing review -- no doubt.
Old 06-25-13, 07:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Glitches with the infotainment aside on the pre-production model they tested, they loved the car. As for any doubters on the quality of the interior:

"There is no question about the interior's attractiveness. It shares some cues from the equally lovely GS interior, most notably the center air vents and analogue clock that form a horizontal bar that separates the infotainment screen from the controls. Materials and fitment look and feel exceptional, and the layout gives the car a personality and character unique to Lexus –that's a first. "
Materials are simply within spec of other entry level vehicles like the 3-Series and C-Class. "ok" but not special.
Old 06-25-13, 08:02 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Materials are simply within spec of other entry level vehicles like the 3-Series and C-Class. "ok" but not special.
I haven't sat in C-class for ages but if you compare the new 3-series to 3IS, some of the materials, especially the door mouldings are better in 3-series than the 3IS.

This is acceptable for the price difference between the two cars. 3-series is already in the price range of GS and GS has comparably materials used in the cabin.
Old 06-25-13, 10:10 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
I haven't sat in C-class for ages but if you compare the new 3-series to 3IS, some of the materials, especially the door mouldings are better in 3-series than the 3IS.

This is acceptable for the price difference between the two cars. 3-series is already in the price range of GS and GS has comparably materials used in the cabin.
I beg to differ. Like I've said before, the 3 series is probably the best sedan in BMW's lineup and makes the F10 5 series redundant EXCEPT for its interior.

The F30 interior is a marked step down from the previous generation E90 series. It was so evident in terms of quality of materials used, fit and finish and the wierd ergonomics of the perpetual pop-up nav that I even speculated in my previous posts that BMW deliberately sandbagged on the F30 interior so as not to step on the toes of the F10 5 series.

There is IMO no way the 3 series interior comes close to being in the same class as the GS interior. I haven't sat in the new IS yet but the new IS has to have pretty dismal interior quality for it to ever be worse overall than the F30 3 series interior.
Old 06-26-13, 12:39 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Ahhhh, the Sepulveda Flood Control Basin. Once got caught up in a wild El Nino flood there, circa 1993.

I like the black car with parchment interior. Common Porsche and Ferrari combo. As far as rims, I think these stock 350 rims are the nicest. They look beefy and sporty, whereas the optional 250 spoke rims look fussy and finicky.

I wouldn't say the entire review was glowing. They clearly weren't hot on the exterior.

So here we have an AWD model and I don't notice any silly 4x4 look. Could that blood-sucking feature finally be a thing of the past?

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 06-26-13 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-26-13, 01:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL

F30 has really poor interior materials, I have no idea how do you find it close to GS when it is actually worse than old IS.

I have sat and drove in few F30's and interior quality was more comparable to Toyota's than Lexus.
Old 06-26-13, 05:59 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I beg to differ. Like I've said before, the 3 series is probably the best sedan in BMW's lineup and makes the F10 5 series redundant EXCEPT for its interior.

The F30 interior is a marked step down from the previous generation E90 series. It was so evident in terms of quality of materials used, fit and finish and the wierd ergonomics of the perpetual pop-up nav that I even speculated in my previous posts that BMW deliberately sandbagged on the F30 interior so as not to step on the toes of the F10 5 series.

There is IMO no way the 3 series interior comes close to being in the same class as the GS interior. I haven't sat in the new IS yet but the new IS has to have pretty dismal interior quality for it to ever be worse overall than the F30 3 series interior.
Good points.

I have to correct that. Overall, environment in GS is more luxurious than the F30 3-series. Lexus always makes the interior smooth and plush. And for the trunk finishing, they are definitely not in the same class.

But somehow I perceive the interior in F30 to be noticeably refined than the previous E90 series. In the past, I would not consider the 3-series because of its interior.