IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Ride Quality of the 3IS? F-Sport or Standard

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 05:56 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride Quality of the 3IS? F-Sport or Standard

I feel like an idiot posting this since I already bought one... But I have been hearing both sides of this.. For those who have driven both the 3IS and the 2IS, how do they compare on ride quality?

I'm now a little worried the F-Sport 350 is going to ride pretty rough. I've watched and read every review on youtube/magazines and almost all have said that the F-Sport rides pretty good for being such a great handling car. I'm not worried but I am slightly concerned my wife may think its too rough, even though I told her "dont worry"

I still have my 08' IS350 with F sport rear sway bar and I would give the ride quality 7.5/10. I live in Chicago and the roads here are not great... So just want to hear some feedback if anyone has any!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-13, 08:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

If the 2014 IS350 F-Sport ride is anything like the 2013 GS350 F-Sport, you should have nothing to worry about.

The 2014 IS borrows the all-aluminium low-unsprung-weight suspension from the 2013 GS. The low mass of the suspension components allow it to be faster reacting to road surface changes, thus keeping the wheel in contact with the road surface for a longer period of time, thus improving grip and handling. Since there is no longer any need to stiffen the suspension further to achieve adequate sporty handling, the Lexus engineers can soften the shocks and the springs to improve ride. Co-incidentally, the lighter suspension also soaks up bumps and road irregularities better.

Add to that the adaptive variable suspension ( AVS) in the IS350 F-Sport package which autonomously and continually adjusts the shock stiffness in response to road conditions and you should be set with respect to a comfortable ride.

At worst, with the adjustable dampers in the F-Sport package, just set the suspension to "Normal" mode for a more comfortable ride.
Old 06-24-13, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

supposedly one with AVS handles much better than old F-Sport or current F-Sport without AVS.
Old 06-24-13, 08:54 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
I feel like an idiot posting this since I already bought one... But I have been hearing both sides of this.. For those who have driven both the 3IS and the 2IS, how do they compare on ride quality?

I'm now a little worried the F-Sport 350 is going to ride pretty rough. I've watched and read every review on youtube/magazines and almost all have said that the F-Sport rides pretty good for being such a great handling car. I'm not worried but I am slightly concerned my wife may think its too rough, even though I told her "dont worry"

I still have my 08' IS350 with F sport rear sway bar and I would give the ride quality 7.5/10. I live in Chicago and the roads here are not great... So just want to hear some feedback if anyone has any!

Thanks!
Everyone's definition of "ride quality" will vary. Driving the 2nd Gen IS and 3rd Gen back to back is a world of difference especially in steering feel and ride comfort. The new IS whether if it's regular or F Sport is a lot more sharper and taut. The F Sport's ride is a bit more stiffer than the standard, but it's livable. Don't worry about what you've read in the reviews. You should drive both versions back to back. The new IS' platform is really good just like the GS. The standard suspension is plenty adequate. If ride comfort is a concern, you may want to look at a premium or luxury package instead.
Old 06-24-13, 10:07 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

I would definitely agree with flipside. I was able to test drive both GS and IS F-Sports over the weekend (IS Ride + Drive Experience) and ground gripping comes to mind. As a former 2IS owner, the 3IS's have better handling when it comes to sharp turns - didn't feel any body roll and I was taking those turns pretty fast; even the LS handled pretty well.

Originally Posted by flipside909
Everyone's definition of "ride quality" will vary. Driving the 2nd Gen IS and 3rd Gen back to back is a world of difference especially in steering feel and ride comfort. The new IS whether if it's regular or F Sport is a lot more sharper and taut. The F Sport's ride is a bit more stiffer than the standard, but it's livable. Don't worry about what you've read in the reviews. You should drive both versions back to back. The new IS' platform is really good just like the GS. The standard suspension is plenty adequate. If ride comfort is a concern, you may want to look at a premium or luxury package instead.

Last edited by yok3dIS; 06-24-13 at 12:37 PM. Reason: updated attachment
Old 06-24-13, 10:58 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say be honest with yourself about the road conditions you have and will primarily drive.
Old 06-24-13, 12:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I just drove both the standard car and the F Sport back to back. The F Sport rode great IMHO for a smaller, sport focused sedan. I would buy the F Sport, no question.

I have driven the 2IS but its been a while. I remember disliking the ride of the 2IS while I liked both the 3ISs I drove today.