IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice

Old 06-21-13, 10:03 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice

I reached out a few clear bra installers for my upcoming 3IS350 F-Sport, and I want to get some advice from you guys (& gals).

Collectively, I've been offered a few materials: Venture, Premium Shield, Pro Form, Xpel and 3M. Which one is better?

In addition, the lowest quote that I got (from NJ) is mid $800 for full bumper, 1/3 partial hood, partial fender, all 4 door handles, and the impact area of the rear bumper. However, if I were to go with full bumper, the price would go up to $1,200. This installer specifically said that the kit will be a pre-cut. Moreover, if I were to go with full rear, that part will be a custom cut. This same installer actually did my 2006 2IS350 back in 2006 for $550 for which includes everything with partial rear.

One installer from Long Island quoted me $1,300 (with partial bumper) and $1,600 (with full bumper) - ALL custom cut. Lastly, I'm waiting for the quote of another installer from Bronx in NYC.

OMFG - The numbers are absolutely crazy. I live in NYC. Can someone please recommend me an installer who can do it for less? As for custom cut, I would assume that they have the cutting tools that can prevent the paint getting scratched, right? Thanks all

Last edited by doctorttt; 06-21-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 09:18 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
I reached out a few clear bra installers for my upcoming 3IS350 F-Sport, and I want to get some advice from you guys (& gals).

Collectively, I've been offered a few materials: Venture, Premium Shield, Pro Form, Xpel and 3M. Which one is better?

In addition, the lowest quote that I got (from NJ) is mid $800 for full bumper, 1/3 partial hood, partial fender, all 4 door handles, and the impact area of the rear bumper. However, if I were to go with full bumper, the price would go up to $1,200. This installer specifically said that the kit will be a pre-cut. Moreover, if I were to go with full rear, that part will be a custom cut. This same installer actually did my 2006 2IS350 back in 2006 for $550 for which includes everything with partial rear.

One installer from Long Island quoted me $1,300 (with partial bumper) and $1,600 (with full bumper) - ALL custom cut. Lastly, I'm waiting for the quote of another installer from Bronx in NYC.

OMFG - The numbers are absolutely crazy. I live in NYC. Can someone please recommend me an installer who can do it for less? As for custom cut, I would assume that they have the cutting tools that can prevent the paint getting scratched, right? Thanks all
For your case, I would go for Xpel Ultimate film or Ventureshield Ultra film if you want the best.

Xpel Ultimate film has self-healing and better stain resistance which should take care of most minor scratches on the film. Try look for a video in Youtube.

Alternatively, you can go for Ventureshield Ultra, now owned by 3M. Just like Xpel Ultimate, the film is smooth and doesn't have much orange peel. It has been a good choice, especially on dark cars where any orange peel on the film would show up in the car. The downside is it is less stain resistant. Again it may not make much difference on a black car.

For pre-cut kits, I would stick with the ones designed by Xpel or Proform. But if the installer does custom cut, it doesn't matter, as he will use tools and knives to cut the shape.

One piece of advice is you really have to find a good PPF installer who knows what he is doing. Regardless of pre-cut or custom, paint cut is still possible when the installer has to trim the pieces and not be careful.

Also for 3IS front bumper or even the front 2IS bumper, you would see more seams if going for custom cut route, unless the installer takes your bumper off the car, wraps and hides all the seams inside the bumper. Of course, such a thorough job will lead to more labor, skills and carefulness and it will cost much more.

Pre-cut kit is sufficient for your car especially it is in black, dark grey, etc. If the installer does a great job and doesn't leave any lifted edges, you won't be able to see the seams unless you put your nose in the bumper.

One last thing, the 3IS bumper, especially F-Sport, is considered a difficult installation due to too many subtle curves. I would rate it as difficult as the IS-F. So some inexperienced installer may not talk the task.

Last edited by AndyL; 06-22-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-22-13, 12:41 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info - appreciate it.

In terms of pricing, what is the ballpark range? I don't want to get ripped off.
Old 06-22-13, 02:14 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info - appreciate it.

In terms of pricing, what is the ballpark range? I don't want to get ripped off.
You are welcome.

Pricing varies from region to region. But mid-US$800 - $1300 seem to be in the right range. Again if the installer has decided to do a custom fit, it really depends on how he does it and pricing may reflect that.

One thing that may be a concern is the partial bumper option. If partial bumper means the edge of the film goes up to the area below the headlights, ie. NOT up to the wheel well, I would suggest not to consider it.

Don't wanna name any pre-cut kit design but there have been some version of pre-cut kits that only cover the "face" of the front bumper. For example, I have seen actual installed partial bumper on previous generation of Lexus ES in light color on the road and literally you can see vertical seam if you are besides it.

Remember, you get what you pay. Besides, going for the most expensive one doesn't mean you have the best guarantee of work.

The best approach is to look at the cars the installer has done. Look closely and trace where the seams go and look at the film to get a better idea what you are getting. Also referral from someone who is picky is important.

Try to see what kind of environment your car would be worked in. Dust is enemy for a paint protection film installation. If the installer is mobile and goes to your garage, make sure you have a decent wash of your garage floor.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by AndyL; 06-22-13 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 08:17 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Thanks again Andy.
Old 06-22-13, 10:28 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Venture Tape on my car (not a lexus). The first one lasted about 3 years until it got so ugly I had to get it replaced. It was replaced under warranty and the installer said the material was improved. But that one lasted about the same length of time. It gets rough on top and slightly opaque. I removed the clear bra from the hood and replaced it with that 3M Spray on clear bra. I did that as an experiment really, just to see what the product was like and how long it will last. I plan to sell my car in the next year.

So I didn't have any luck with Venture Tape. But this part of the country is pretty rough on things. It did protect the paint very well though. Not sure how they relate to Venture Shield.
Old 06-23-13, 10:00 AM
nickhaaa
Rookie

I have xpel ultimate installed on my 2013 GS F-Sport, which IMO appears it would be a difficult install with all the curves. I had the full hood, full bumper, full fenders, and side mirrors done - cost ~$1200. The shop did a great job on it. Took about 6 hours.
Old 06-23-13, 12:17 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doctorttt, what shop on Long Island? I had mine done with Xpel
Old 06-23-13, 12:48 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXDriver
I had Venture Tape on my car (not a lexus). The first one lasted about 3 years until it got so ugly I had to get it replaced. It was replaced under warranty and the installer said the material was improved. But that one lasted about the same length of time. It gets rough on top and slightly opaque. I removed the clear bra from the hood and replaced it with that 3M Spray on clear bra. I did that as an experiment really, just to see what the product was like and how long it will last. I plan to sell my car in the next year.

So I didn't have any luck with Venture Tape. But this part of the country is pretty rough on things. It did protect the paint very well though. Not sure how they relate to Venture Shield.
What you said is not a surprise. The Ventureshield Ultimate film used to cover the side skirts of my 2IS has become rough on the bottom portion where the film has been constantly abused by sand, mud and salt. It is normal due to the direction of the impact as the debris literally travels parallel to the surface of the film. For hood and fenders, they are in much better shape. I don't see the film being opaque in any area. Being said that, my car has been garaged most of the time and I do car wash and detailing regularly.

The durability of Ventureshield is not the best but any films still need the car owners to take care in the same way they treat their paint. If someone doesn't do any detailing (ie, cleaning/polishing/waxing), the car would not look good anyway.

Xpel Ultimate is relatively new and it addresses common issues such as staining/contamination and minor swirls/scratches. The film is slightly thicker because it has to provide that self-healing capability. So the durability is expected to be better.

Last edited by AndyL; 06-23-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 12:50 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nickhaaa
I have xpel ultimate installed on my 2013 GS F-Sport, which IMO appears it would be a difficult install with all the curves. I had the full hood, full bumper, full fenders, and side mirrors done - cost ~$1200. The shop did a great job on it. Took about 6 hours.
Yes, the GS is considered to have a difficult install for the bumper. Surprisingly the non-F sport is even difficult than the F Sport one.
Old 06-23-13, 02:16 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by puckhead85
doctorttt, what shop on Long Island? I had mine done with Xpel
Detailing Dynamics, that is. Do you have any suggestion?
Old 06-23-13, 04:12 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detailing Dynamics, that is. Do you have any suggestion?
that's who did mine... Who did you speak with? I had the pleasure of dealing with Eddie. It is pricey but well worth it. They did a fantastic job on my GS. I had them do full hood, front fenders, bumper, mirrors and also a small strip over rear bumper near the trunk opening so I won't damage the bumper when putting my golf clubs in. (the bumper was done with ventureshield. there was a reason something about it stretching easily to fit the curves). I also had them install Belltronics STiR Plus Radar and Laser Interceptors. When Eddie showed me around their was a Porsche GT, a lambo, Ferrari, Audi R8 and a few other exotics. They know what they are doing and I didn't want to risk having a crappy install. It was all done by hand no patterns.

I would definitely pay them a visit and they will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about paint protection film. When my next car comes, it's going straight to the shop!!

Last edited by puckhead85; 06-23-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 02:21 AM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
What you said is not a surprise. The Ventureshield Ultimate film used to cover the side skirts of my 2IS has become rough on the bottom portion where the film has been constantly abused by sand, mud and salt. It is normal due to the direction of the impact as the debris literally travels parallel to the surface of the film. For hood and fenders, they are in much better shape. I don't see the film being opaque in any area. Being said that, my car has been garaged most of the time and I do car wash and detailing regularly.
Actually it was the hood that deteriorated. The vertical parts that get less sun are in much better shape. The sun down here just kills things. It stayed in a garage when I'm not at work for driving it. For my next car I will look for a different brand.
Old 06-24-13, 05:55 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TXDriver
Actually it was the hood that deteriorated. The vertical parts that get less sun are in much better shape. The sun down here just kills things. It stayed in a garage when I'm not at work for driving it. For my next car I will look for a different brand.
Texas is very hot and humid in summer. Even in covered garage, the cars especially the hood could be very hot which makes a challenge to any films installed.

Try to look for Xpel Ultimate film and actually their Xpel office is somewhere in Texas. That's where they develop and test the films and kit design.
Old 06-24-13, 07:41 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AndyL
Texas is very hot and humid in summer. Even in covered garage, the cars especially the hood could be very hot which makes a challenge to any films installed.

Try to look for Xpel Ultimate film and actually their Xpel office is somewhere in Texas. That's where they develop and test the films and kit design.
Thanks, I'll put that one on my list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice