IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by kesh550
The Lexus dealer where I'm at has a contract with a local company here in the area. Not all dealers do the work themselves...the same with tint.
I would still find the best installer and choose the best material for you. If that happens to be who the dealer uses...great...but I absolutely would not use the dealer because they are "the dealer".
Old 08-11-13, 07:41 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JL25
That's a lot better than the $2245 I got quoted. Of course it was Xpel's shop so I was expecting it to be a little pricier, but not that much.
They are very expensive... I use their film and buy it in bulk so I know the cost of the material even with their dealer markup on it. For the same coverage I charge $1450... same install with the same film. Just shows you how much they add in labor... which to me is ridiculous. I also install Suntek film which to me is a better film. Its smoother and the self healing top coat is better.
Old 08-14-13, 11:50 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

OK, I just did the "Build Your Lexus" think at Lexus.com and on the last page, accessories, paint protection film is $429. But my dealer quoted $1295, and the prices I've seen on here are all at least $1000. So why does Lexus.com say only $429?

The fine print says actual prices may vary, but come on! What does Lexus think you can get or plan to provide for $429?
Old 08-15-13, 05:48 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got mine done yesterday in Long Island. I will post some pics soon.
Old 08-15-13, 07:53 AM
wildtigg3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
OK, I just did the "Build Your Lexus" think at Lexus.com and on the last page, accessories, paint protection film is $429. But my dealer quoted $1295, and the prices I've seen on here are all at least $1000. So why does Lexus.com say only $429?

The fine print says actual prices may vary, but come on! What does Lexus think you can get or plan to provide for $429?
I am guessing the price is only for 1/4 of your hood and the surface of your back bumper. That's usually what dealer offers.

Probably better to just call up your dealer and ask them about the pricing difference.
Old 08-15-13, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The Lexus package is terrible, its only the hood, no bumper and it looks like hell. Your dealer is quoting an install from an actual PPF company they have come in and do it.

I wouldn't have the dealer arrange it though, find the best PPF installer and do it directly. It'll be cheaper because the dealer is getting a cut in your situation.
Old 08-16-13, 11:39 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Did quite a bit of research on this and came down to a couple of things: 1) paint protection film (no cracking, yellowing etc) and 2) installation -- I finally settled on Xelp ppf -- I live here in Orange County, CA and reviewed a few top experience installers and settled on Scott Kim's Advanced Auto Engineering in Cerritos. He was very meticulous during the installation of the ppf -- he treated my Lexus as if it was his own car -- in fact if you look in the background he was entrusted to install ppf on the entire body of a Lexus LFA. 3-4 hrs later the installation was complete. The installation included the entire bumper, partial hood & mirrors. He covered my lights and Lexus swoosh bars for free. Once completed he waxed/detailed the installation twice.

Old 08-17-13, 09:01 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Suntek film, full hood.
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice-20130817_114337_hdr.jpg  
Old 08-17-13, 04:37 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Suntek film, full hood.
It looks great in the picture. Mind if I ask you whether you can see any orange peel or film imperfection when you look closer? Sorry if I have asked a sensitive question. Thanks
Old 08-18-13, 05:07 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyL
It looks great in the picture. Mind if I ask you whether you can see any orange peel or film imperfection when you look closer? Sorry if I have asked a sensitive question. Thanks
Hey Andy. I test out all the films that come on the market. Suntek has the smoothest film out there and it doesn't have orange peel to it. The only other film I have seen that was smoother was the original Avery Nano Fusion... but the newest version of that film has a lot of orange peel to it. Suntek is very smooth... Xpel Ultimate is not far behind it.
Old 08-18-13, 06:52 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PTmobile

Hey Andy. I test out all the films that come on the market. Suntek has the smoothest film out there and it doesn't have orange peel to it. The only other film I have seen that was smoother was the original Avery Nano Fusion... but the newest version of that film has a lot of orange peel to it. Suntek is very smooth... Xpel Ultimate is not far behind it.
Hey PTmobile, thanks for the info. I didn't see the original Avery Nano Fusion but the sample I saw was probably the later version and the tiny "orange peel" was horrible.
Old 08-18-13, 07:04 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AndyL
Hi Andy, no orange peel, and the film is very smooth. Even at close up, it's still hard to see that there is a film on top unless that person looks at the edges (i.e. on the bumper.) The installer told me that Suntek's quality is comparable to Xpel. I will go grab my friend's DLSR and take better pics later.
Old 08-18-13, 07:41 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great, doctorttt! I'm assuming he did an amazing installation? At least we have a peace of mind on the road now from the rock chips haha
Old 08-18-13, 12:33 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doctorttt
Hi Andy, no orange peel, and the film is very smooth. Even at close up, it's still hard to see that there is a film on top unless that person looks at the edges (i.e. on the bumper.) The installer told me that Suntek's quality is comparable to Xpel. I will go grab my friend's DLSR and take better pics later.
Great to hear that. Orange peel or imperfection on the film is something that has prevented me to go for full hood. I have Xpel Ultimate on my 06' IS but the coverage is on half of the hood, full bumper and headlights. The film does make a difference especially when you take care of your paint and your car exterior. I haven't used touch up paints for years. Maybe just one small one on the A pillar.