IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 08:54 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmims2000

Ok, thanks. I'm assuming its the same on the other side? Are there other spots which have seams too? Also, was yours a custom cut or from a kit? Sorry for all the questions: I'm strongly considering doing this to my new black car, but I just really am hesitant unless Im confident that it will turn really really good, and won't stand out. I know a big part if the equation is the quality of the workmanship.
By looking at the picture that shows the area below the brake cooling duct/LED fog placeholder, I am pretty sure it is not a pre-cut kit and it was done by hand. Or a pre-cut kit that doesn't fit or the installer ran into some issues with.

If it was cut by hand (ie, using a bulk film), then it is not too bad because the area surrounding the LED DRL strips is tough to do. On the other hand, if it is a pre-cut kit, I have seen better ones which have seams less revealing and have better coverage around the curves.

And in the same area below the fog placeholder, there seems to be an air bubble or a bubble of some solution. Sometimes it can be cured over a few days. If not, better let the installer to fix it.

Mmims2000,

On darker color cars such as black and dark grey, the seams are not as obvious as on light colored cars such as white and silver.
Old 07-18-13, 09:03 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by TimboIS
A seam with a hole in it? That doesn't look like a kit cut, appears to be installer created. There should not be a cut in the middle of a flat surface. Any worthy installer should be capable of using steam or heat to get the film to conform to virtually any surface contour.

The place that did my 12C were very good. No kits, just one sheet per surface (nose, hood, fenders, headlights, splitter). Wrapped edges and no "adjustment" cuts. You can't even tell it's got film.
Thanks for the feedback and the pictures! Your car looks amazing and is definitely the quality of workmanship I'm looking for. I'm working on a list of questions to ask my installer to be sure it comes out right. He's very highly recommended in my area for detail work, and I know he does Xpel installations as well, just not 100% sure how good he is at that. From his detailing work with me in the past, he certainly takes pride in his work and is very detail-oriented. But, like anything, the film installation seems like a very specialized skill and I'm worried about the complexity involved on the 3IS Fsport. I'm very picky haha but I'll pay what it costs for quality work
Old 07-18-13, 09:11 PM
mmims2000
Driver

Dojoman, AndyL - thanks to you both for the advice. I'm pretty sure I'm gunna go for it. My black 2IS got all chipped up on the highway during my commute, and I really don't want that to happen again. I'm just nervous bout it looking good with the film. I think the car looks beautiful right now and Im debating what's worse: a few rock chips, or a bad clear bra install.
Old 07-25-13, 09:16 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone recommend a good ppf installer in Orange County CA? Thx in advance
Old 07-25-13, 10:29 PM
bshaw777
Driver

It's getting installed by dealer a no-no?
Old 07-26-13, 07:19 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bshaw777
It's getting installed by dealer a no-no?
If you can find a good installer outside, you would normally get a better price and maybe a better job . Unless you only do a partial hood and fenders but you still pay a lot more money since the dealership is the middle man.

To find a good installer, it is better to talk to him/her directly first. If you could see their previous install, then it is better. I recommend Xpel Ultimate or Ventureshield Ultra, depending on the budget. In the end, it is a combination of film quality, pre-cut kits quality and the installation craftsmanship that determine the final product.
Old 07-26-13, 03:58 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
A seam with a hole in it? That doesn't look like a kit cut, appears to be installer created. There should not be a cut in the middle of a flat surface. Any worthy installer should be capable of using steam or heat to get the film to conform to virtually any surface contour.

The place that did my 12C were very good. No kits, just one sheet per surface (nose, hood, fenders, headlights, splitter). Wrapped edges and no "adjustment" cuts. You can't even tell it's got film.
Nice ride! What color are those wheels and what type of finish is that?
Old 07-26-13, 04:00 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Well what about the grill on the Fsport? That is surely gonna take a beating as well. I wonder how it will stand up over time. Cant put protection film on that...
Old 07-26-13, 04:50 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Nice ride! What color are those wheels and what type of finish is that?
The wheels are finished in satin black.
Old 07-26-13, 07:02 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Well what about the grill on the Fsport? That is surely gonna take a beating as well. I wonder how it will stand up over time. Cant put protection film on that...
Maybe vinyl, 3M 1080P film or Plastidip. Another member has done something similar.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...s-angeles.html

I have a similar concern like yours. At least F Sport grill does not have a flat surface like the regular one so it should hide some stone chips/abrasion. For me who is getting a regular IS soon, I am thinking of using 3M 1080P or some other similar products to cover the major flat area surrounding the license plate.
Old 07-26-13, 08:21 PM
bshaw777
Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
Maybe vinyl, 3M 1080P film or Plastidip. Another member has done something similar.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...s-angeles.html

I have a similar concern like yours. At least F Sport grill does not have a flat surface like the regular one so it should hide some stone chips/abrasion. For me who is getting a regular IS soon, I am thinking of using 3M 1080P or some other similar products to cover the major flat area surrounding the license plate.
Im impressed with the way the vinyl wrap looks on the grill! Will have to do some more research on that. Gotta protect my my unborn baby, LOL! Im gonna order next week.
Old 07-27-13, 10:40 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Getting my 3m clear bra done right now @ The Sign Savers in Hialeah Fl

Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice-image-1934524200.jpg
Old 07-28-13, 07:51 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doctorttt, did you pick up your IS yet? Did you get the film installed? Which place did you go with?
Old 07-29-13, 06:43 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
doctorttt, did you pick up your IS yet? Did you get the film installed? Which place did you go with?
Hey Puck, no IS yet. =( I'm getting pissed off. But, check with a member on this forum called alius. He lives in Long Island, and I believe that he has already gotten his IS installed with a clear bra.
Old 07-29-13, 07:13 AM
Alius
Pole Position

Nope, haven't gotten the clear bra installed yet, I have it scheduled for this upcoming weekend with 631coatings.com in Deer Park. They only use Suntek and they custom cut it, no pre-cut kits which IMO is better since it won't leave any space/gaps that usually come with pre-cut kits.

They quoted me for ~$1,500 for the full bumper, hood, front fenders and mirrors. Gotta leave the car overnight over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Selection & Pricing: Need Some Advice