IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

US IS350 F-Sport Ventilated Seats? or Dynamic Radar Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 07:03 AM
scruffydog
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same about it having a better interior but the digital LCD tach gauge is the new trend starter. The one in the GS is a little dated looking IMO. Aside from that I think the IS should have used a wider nav display.
Old 07-31-13, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by scruffydog
I feel the same about it having a better interior but the digital LCD tach gauge is the new trend starter. The one in the GS is a little dated looking IMO. Aside from that I think the IS should have used a wider nav display.
Keep in mind who buys the GS though. Lexus's customers can't all be 26 year old Asian kids
Old 07-31-13, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Great news in regards to OP. My manager is part of the Lexus Product Council and will be suggesting some of my notes including memory seats which SHOULD IMO be offered on the IS F-Sport to begin with..
Old 07-31-13, 10:10 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I finally saw the 3IS in person and love it but I am waiting to see if anything changes for 2015 because between the lack of options and colors for the US market F Sport I can't be convinced it is worth it to bother upgrading at this point. Also the possibility of a 2 door version in the works makes it easier to wait and see what might be next. I am beyond frustrated with the marketing decisions made by Lexus.
Old 07-31-13, 12:38 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

They keep the memory seats option to update the model for next year, the rain sensor for the next two years and the wood trim for..... and so on
Old 07-31-13, 06:59 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
They keep the memory seats option to update the model for next year, the rain sensor for the next two years and the wood trim for..... and so on
All these missing features are all available now in the 3IS F Sport sold in Japan. Memory with ventilation is available on F sport leather seats by special order in Japan.

And rain sensing wiper is standard in both regular and F Sport. In Japan, you can also order wood trim or bamboo trim optionally in F Sport. Also not to mention you can have interior seating in color other than black or red in F Sport. So it is all a matter of interesting marketing strategy in North America.
Old 07-31-13, 09:44 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great news in regards to OP. My manager is part of the Lexus Product Council and will be suggesting some of my notes including memory seats which SHOULD IMO be offered on the IS F-Sport to begin with..
This is [potentially] great news for a whole lot of people!
Old 08-01-13, 05:46 AM
saferisk
Driver School Candidate

In Australia, memory seats, heated and ventilated were standard but the price here is two thirds more because of taxes. Sadly instead we miss out on led headlights and fog lights but I like the single eyed xenons anyway :-)
Old 08-01-13, 05:58 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
All these missing features are all available now in the 3IS F Sport sold in Japan. Memory with ventilation is available on F sport leather seats by special order in Japan.

And rain sensing wiper is standard in both regular and F Sport. In Japan, you can also order wood trim or bamboo trim optionally in F Sport. Also not to mention you can have interior seating in color other than black or red in F Sport. So it is all a matter of interesting marketing strategy in North America.
What does that car cost in dollars? For some reason the 50K price point for this segment is critical. The Smoking Tire said 2x that if the IS350 Fsport is brought in under 50K then they have a winner. The fact is that those functions cost money if even pennies and every manufacturer knows to the penny what a new car will ultimately cost them including defects, recalls, etc. Lexus makes cars to make money. They've analyzed everything.

In my industry people are trying to apply quantum mechanics to formula we use. My clients can track to the penny what it costs to acquire a customer, how much they'll buy, how many times they'll buy and what they'll buy next.

I feel certain that Lexus would include additional features if the math told them they could. The only other scenario is that they plan to make maximum margin on the 1st year of a new model with smaller margins already extrapolated for each succeeding year as they add features to keep the model fresh.
Old 08-01-13, 07:01 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mayuj
Apparently if you want a sporty... uhm... sport sedan from lexus - ie, the F-Sport, you should not care about safety technology and comfort as they are not offered. Either get a safe version or sporty version. Even if you have the money to spend...

This is lexus product management at work right now...
The fact that leather, ventilation, and memory are not even an option on the F-Sport is reason enough for me not to buy a 3IS. You can have cake, you just can't eat it
Thats why my 2006 with vent seats, park assist, rear sunshade, memory seats, and F-Sport Intake and Springs will suffice until the coupe comes out in USB!!!
Old 08-01-13, 07:11 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
What does that car cost in dollars? For some reason the 50K price point for this segment is critical. The Smoking Tire said 2x that if the IS350 Fsport is brought in under 50K then they have a winner. The fact is that those functions cost money if even pennies and every manufacturer knows to the penny what a new car will ultimately cost them including defects, recalls, etc. Lexus makes cars to make money. They've analyzed everything.

In my industry people are trying to apply quantum mechanics to formula we use. My clients can track to the penny what it costs to acquire a customer, how much they'll buy, how many times they'll buy and what they'll buy next.

I feel certain that Lexus would include additional features if the math told them they could. The only other scenario is that they plan to make maximum margin on the 1st year of a new model with smaller margins already extrapolated for each succeeding year as they add features to keep the model fresh.
What you said is true.

IMO, it is highly likely Lexus slowly add features to keep the model fresh in subsequent years.
Old 08-01-13, 08:18 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something tells me that for 2015, Lexus may make some changes/updates for this in the US.

Last edited by SimTide985; 08-01-13 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 06:43 PM
scruffydog
Rookie

Keep in mind who buys the GS though. Lexus's customers can't all be 26 year old Asian kids
I just drove the Lamborghini Aventador and I highly doubt it's targeted for 26 yr old Asian kids. I think it's just part of moving with the times with LCD displays. It's more dynamic and it's the new thing now.
Old 08-01-13, 07:36 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I really liked the GS!

(I'm 27 BTW)
Old 08-01-13, 08:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by scruffydog
I just drove the Lamborghini Aventador and I highly doubt it's targeted for 26 yr old Asian kids. I think it's just part of moving with the times with LCD displays. It's more dynamic and it's the new thing now.
No, but trendy features like that are placed on cheaper cars. The target audience is a younger demographic with the IS. LS400 customers aren't getting any younger!

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Hey, I really liked the GS!

(I'm 27 BTW)
The bit was more about the GS not offering a LCD speedo/tach because customers who buy it are typically more traditional. I praise the GS for it's superb dynamics and stellar interior (IS's not so much)

Quick Reply: US IS350 F-Sport Ventilated Seats? or Dynamic Radar Cruise Control?